This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Nier bomb?

#1nekrothingPosted 2/8/2013 2:50:23 PM
Great story with a lot of originality, great gameplay with lots of variation, and some amazing music. Why did this game bomb?
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 2/8/2013 2:51:15 PM
Because people thought the gameplay was bad.

I guess GoW is an exception, among others.
#3DuneManPosted 2/8/2013 2:56:02 PM
Graphics, then simple combat that felt largely extraneous and repetitive(e.g. spear dashes and Dark Lance were 100% of what you needed to do in any fight).

Seeing things implode at the end was great though, and people missed out if they didn't at least play through for ending B.

Also, without spoiling anything, some people flipped out at the forest dream portion. In an era of 'purty grafix' the shock of what was happening may have been too much for a few folks.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#4Skull007o_OPosted 2/8/2013 2:58:43 PM
I've played it for the first time a month ago, so I don't have nostalgia googles or anything like that. Yeah the graphics and the combat seemed really outdated (to the point it looked like a PS2 game) but fortunately, that isn't something negative for me.

I really enjoyed it, I enjoyed the music, I enjoyed the atmosphere, and I somewhat enjoyed the characters. Hell, NG+ made me feel like a piece of trash... I cannot remember a single game doing the same to the gamer. I even looked and read the whole Grimoire Nier after unlocking the ending D, because there's so much backstory that it's amazing (never played Drakengard BTW, so it was interesting seeing how both games were connected there). The short stories, the interviews, diaries, etc... I even enjoyed it as if it was the game itself.

And of course, it's probably one of the most depressing games I've ever played, there's just no happy ending, and the world itself is already screwed enough
#5toadiemanPosted 2/8/2013 3:03:09 PM
Because the general public doesn't have good taste.
---
PSN: toadieman
#6Lord_XandrosPosted 2/8/2013 3:03:12 PM
Also, without spoiling anything, some people flipped out at the forest dream portion. In an era of 'purty grafix' the shock of what was happening may have been too much for a few folks.

It was horrible... it looked worse than Pong *sob*
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/custom1/Angelic_Rave.png | Alternate PSN Account - MrRaveyGravy
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRaveyGravy
#7dudupupuPosted 2/8/2013 3:03:17 PM
In my opinion, the game is as bland as they come in terms of the environments, gameplay, and quests.
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#8peter_888Posted 2/8/2013 3:03:46 PM
nekrothing posted...
Great story with a lot of originality, great gameplay with lots of variation, and some amazing music. Why did this game bomb?

...hahahahahahahaha
ok, I really liked Nier(especially for the story and character) but to even say that Nier gameplay is "good", let along "great" is really pushing it. It's gameplay, is at best. Mediocre. so yeah.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#9PhaseSlaethePosted 2/8/2013 3:04:07 PM
dudupupu posted...
In my opinion, the game is as bland as they come in terms of the environments, gameplay, and quests.

Utter BS but accepted.

Lord_Xandros posted...

It was horrible... it looked worse than Pong *sob*

I keep hearing this stuff, but I didn't get jack **** for that "dungeon". All I had was a black screen with narration.
#10RockSauronPosted 2/8/2013 3:06:05 PM
Ah yes, Nier. One of my favorite games this generation, despite it sucking in most game related ways.

But to answer your question, it was a new IP by a team not many people heard of in a genre that wasn't too popular that scored pretty badly among pretty much all mainstream reviewers, who would have told people to buy the game.

So yeah, not too big a surprise it bombed, really. I myself didn't get it till like 2 years after it came out, for 15 dollars. Did you get it when it first released for full price?
---
Hi. I rawk.