This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ni No Kuni - should I get it now?

#1im_a_legendPosted 2/8/2013 4:01:35 PM
With all the great games coming out early this year I have to watch what I spend. I do want to pick up Ni No Kuni but was hoping to do it in the summer when nothing is released so it would give me something to play, clear some of my backlog in the meantime and it would most likely have a price cut by then.

The trouble is most of the online retailers seem to be selling out and I have not seen a copy in any store I have visited. So I'm wondering if I should just get it now or if come June it will still be available without having to buy it digitally from PSN.
---
What Im about to do is as dangerous as inviting your mum round for an evening on chatroulette
#2Still__RippinPosted 2/8/2013 4:02:30 PM
Buy whatever game you want the most?
---
l'm Rip, l love gaming. Been gaming since SNES and this is my channel~
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeitgeistGamer?feature=mhee
#3PhaseSlaethePosted 2/8/2013 4:07:02 PM
Honestly, and this is from a Day-1, and from someone who likes the game?

Wait.

You aren't missing a whole lot. If you've played DQ8, bravo, you played a better NNK.
#4archizzyPosted 2/8/2013 4:11:54 PM
With online shopping available to you I wouldn't worry about missing out. You may not find a copy at your local physical retailer depending on where you live but with the Internet you will be able to buy it.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5DocDeliciousPosted 2/8/2013 4:38:24 PM
Get it as soon as you can and just wait to play it.

The price is only going to go up and even Amazon has been out-of-stock, off and on, since release. Next shipment is supposed to be on the 10th but I guarantee you it will be sold-out by the 15th, again (if not earlier).
---
Disgaea 4, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, The Cave, Need For Speed: MW 2012, DmC: Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#6CammyApplePosted 2/8/2013 4:42:01 PM
DocDelicious posted...
Get it as soon as you can and just wait to play it.

The price is only going to go up and even Amazon has been out-of-stock, off and on, since release. Next shipment is supposed to be on the 10th but I guarantee you it will be sold-out by the 15th, again (if not earlier).

What do you base the bold part on? How many regular edition PS3 games cost more now than they did on release? Also isn't Ni No Kuni available digital?

People should stop this fear mongering of "oh no I might miss out". That's not how games work any more. (With the possible exception of Too Human.)
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#7archizzyPosted 2/8/2013 5:02:44 PM
Newegg has had the game in stock online the entire time even when Amazon has not. Newegg is just as reliable as Amazon. More people should look there as far as online shopping.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to land any PS3 game in North America. I don't recall the MSRP of a standard game ever going up either from normal retailers. Sure random Internet businesses or private sellers but not large established retailers.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#8DocDeliciousPosted 2/8/2013 5:05:38 PM
CammyApple posted...
What do you base the bold part on? How many regular edition PS3 games cost more now than they did on release? Also isn't Ni No Kuni available digital?

People should stop this fear mongering of "oh no I might miss out". That's not how games work any more. (With the possible exception of Too Human.)

Years of experience? It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a game in such high demand. Usually it isn't until a few years after a game releases that it builds up this kind of hype.
It's sold-out everywhere already. There aren't even any Used offers on Amazon. There's a few new on EBay but they're all higher than retail price and used are anywhere from $40-60. If they don't run another printing new, retail copies will not exist.

And, not to insult you or anything, but I can only laugh at the "it's available digitally" comment. No collector accepts digital as a legitimate format. It's good for buying second copies of retail games you already own (so you can save your disk some wear-and-tear), but that's about it.
---
Disgaea 4, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, The Cave, Need For Speed: MW 2012, DmC: Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#9Spiroth_KweehhPosted 2/8/2013 5:19:04 PM
TC, just for clarification, Ni No Kuni is nothing like DRAGON QUEST VIII, in artstyle, music style, plot themes, humour, mechanics, lore, or any form.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#10CammyApplePosted 2/8/2013 5:21:15 PM
DocDelicious posted...
CammyApple posted...

Years of experience? It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a game in such high demand. Usually it isn't until a few years after a game releases that it builds up this kind of hype.
It's sold-out everywhere already. There aren't even any Used offers on Amazon. There's a few new on EBay but they're all higher than retail price and used are anywhere from $40-60. If they don't run another printing new, retail copies will not exist.

And, not to insult you or anything, but I can only laugh at the "it's available digitally" comment. No collector accepts digital as a legitimate format. It's good for buying second copies of retail games you already own (so you can save your disk some wear-and-tear), but that's about it.

Amazon: In Stock Feb 10
Walmart: In Stock now
Frys: In Stock
Sears: In Stock
Newegg: In Stock
Play-Asia: In Stock (Ships with in 24 hours)
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.