This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamestop chimes in on used game blocking consoles

#61calhoun1389Posted 2/9/2013 11:39:31 PM
Mobile games do, they're up there with the consoles if not outright beating them in sales.

There are over 1 billion smartphone users worldwide and I'm not even talking about tablets. That is a huge install base of potential customers.

And the numbers are not even close yet. I estimate that over the past 3 years retail sales of videogames averaged about 40 Billion dollars while mobile gaming was less than 10 billion dollars in 2012. But it's not that easy to find numbers, so if you have any, it would be nice if you could share them with us in case what I found on google is not reliable.

That's the issue, you're trying to compare sales numbers, when it's the units sold that I was referring to. There's a difference since console games cost over 1,000% more than mobile games (that's using the base $60 for console and the high end $5 of mobile games), so even if they sell the same amount of units, the console games will always have more income due to the much higher price.
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#62qwertomanPosted 2/10/2013 1:39:19 AM
It is the revenues and profits that matter though. And companies like Zynga are doing badly despite the enormous install base. A majority of smartphone users play videogames on their phone and it is one if not the most popular activity on a smartphone. Despite that, companies are not able to make that much money.

And PC gaming is not doing that well.

My opinion is that this whole digital business model has been tested and it is not yet as profitable (not even close) as brick and mortar retailing. Banning used games will kill a huge cash cow.
---
"So take it out. I'm thristy boy!" - Ikuza
#63TheCyborgNinjaPosted 2/10/2013 1:54:43 AM
The part that bothers me most is being unable to sell games I no longer want. I buy stuff at launch, then trade it in towards an upcoming release if I don't plan to have it in my collection.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#64star_guy_100Posted 2/10/2013 2:23:00 AM
gamers just say they would be less willing to buy a console that blocks used games. if sony and ms both do this, id bet 90% would get over that pretty quick when the new madden, uncharted, call of duty, assassins creed, halo and gears of war comes out. theyr all talk.

the whole demo thing i think is just an excuse too. i know what games i like, i rarely even have to play a demo, if i look at a game, watch a few youtube videos about it, read a little about it, ill know pretty much for sure if its a game ill like. the only time i just bought something expecting to like it and didnt was ff 13. people know what they like.

gamestop is just terrified so they will do anything they can to stop it. they are the only ones that will be negatively effected by this.

gamers who want to be cheap, pay an extra 5 for games of give up gaming. 99% will pay the extra 5 rather then give it up. or better yet go on amazon and get the brand new game for way cheaper
#65ViceGagaPosted 2/10/2013 2:40:30 AM
The entire used game debate is pointless because in 5 years at the most, games will be all digital and streaming online like netflix and gamestop will go the way of blockbuster.. I suggest gamestop employees start looking for new jobs soon! I'm not being mean, just trying to help! See, I work at a gas station so electric cars are coming for my job too, it won't be nearly as soon tho. How many times do you go to gamestop compared to a gas station?

Anyway, no matter what side of this debate you're on, its a mute point because technology moves at its own pace, it won't stop for anyone and we will all be downloading 99% of our games soon like it or not. It doesn't take a psychic to know this, and if you don't agree then you're in denial.
#66Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 2:52:48 AM
ViceGaga posted...
The entire used game debate is pointless because in 5 years at the most, games will be all digital and streaming online like netflix and gamestop will go the way of blockbuster.. I suggest gamestop employees start looking for new jobs soon! I'm not being mean, just trying to help! See, I work at a gas station so electric cars are coming for my job too, it won't be nearly as soon tho. How many times do you go to gamestop compared to a gas station?

Anyway, no matter what side of this debate you're on, its a mute point because technology moves at its own pace, it won't stop for anyone and we will all be downloading 99% of our games soon like it or not. It doesn't take a psychic to know this, and if you don't agree then you're in denial.

I actually really doubt the whole digital trend. I think we may get a new medium, but not digital.
This is something I looked into extensively when I was writing tech papers for my undergrad degree.
People just like physical to much, and don't have any love for digital copies of games and etc.
I doubt we'll see a true streaming game, but I do think we'll see more DLC content sadly.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#67killakPosted 2/10/2013 2:53:44 AM
The part that bothers me most is being unable to sell games I no longer want. I buy stuff at launch, then trade it in towards an upcoming release if I don't plan to have it in my collection.

If you don't want it, get rid of it.
---
You don't ever go full Greer
#68Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:42:44 AM
killak posted...

Throwing out a $60 game is a waste.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#69calhoun1389Posted 2/10/2013 11:18:02 AM
killak posted...

Then don't buy it if you don't think you'll want it forever or have something against tossing the copy in the trash.
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#70Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 5:29:38 PM
calhoun1389 posted...
killak posted...

Then don't buy it if you don't think you'll want it forever or have something against tossing the copy in the trash.

So you have never ever sold, traded or let a friend have one of your games?

Ugh, this is just wasteful honestly.
---