This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't understand the people who support Blocking of Used games technology

#1RevolutionVPosted 2/8/2013 9:29:53 PM
Blocking used games will not help the developers or the industry, it will only shrink it. Many people use the money they get from trade-ins to buy new games. Other times, people discover new franchises by taking a smaller risk by buying a lower priced used game. I know some people will say "just wait till it goes down in price", but in many cases older, new games are not easily found. I know other people who say that "you can get new games that are cheaper than used sometimes", yeah, but who would be stupid enough to buy a used game that is more expensive? (doesn't make much sense).

I found some of my favorite franchises because I found older used games (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Uncharted, Killzone, etc etc). And guess what? I have bought their follow up games NEW. Not only that, but I have told my family and friends, and they tell their family and friends and so on and so forth.

Blocking used games is also anti-consumer, and whenever a company becomes arrogant and anti-consumer they usually feel the backlash (Netflix anyone?). If the industry wants our money, they need to make great games, and stop the nickle and diming (EA?) the consumers. The used-car sales business has not killed the car industry, has it?

If you want to support the industry, be a games, play games and support the great games out there and become vocal when these issues arise.
#2AwayFromHerePosted 2/8/2013 9:32:02 PM
If you can't afford your hobby, get a new one.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3ZHolyMadmanPosted 2/8/2013 9:37:32 PM
As much crap as I may get for it... I agree with you, TC.
---
ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY POST.
#4gangster4lifeyoPosted 2/8/2013 9:39:45 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

TC said absolutely nothing about not being able to afford games. Please read posts before spouting nonsensical drivel.
#5enigma2274Posted 2/8/2013 9:40:03 PM
I totally agree. For example, I bought Vanquish new and liked it so much I'm Buying MGR day one. I wouldn't be doing that otherwise.
---
PS3: Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni, Dead Space 3
Vita: EDF 2017, Persona 3, Sly Cooper 4 PSN: enigma2288
#6AwayFromHerePosted 2/8/2013 9:40:48 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

TC said absolutely nothing about not being able to afford games. Please read posts before spouting nonsensical drivel.

Many people use the money they get from trade-ins to buy new games.

Seems like a money issue to me.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#7FoxtrotDelta88Posted 2/8/2013 9:42:29 PM
I usually trade in older games to put towards new ones, with a ban on used games, i wouldn't be able to do that anymore, plus some older games, like Nier, Metal Gear Solid 4, Max Payne 1 and 2, and even the older Resident Evil games, and hard to find new for a decent price
---
I believe in Jim Gordon...I believe in Harvey Dent...I believe in Gotham City
#8ArkonBladePosted 2/8/2013 9:42:55 PM
They want the industry to crash and burn like it did back in the 80s.

They are just not smart enough to know it.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#9kingofall214Posted 2/8/2013 10:00:29 PM(edited)
Why is it gamers are against blocking used games but no one cares that you can't resell a $1 iphone game or a $1 song or a $6 DD movie? Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

Why do people think they should always get a buy 1 get 1 free deal if there is more than 1 game in a series? I say that because developers/publishers don't get a cent for that used 1st game you bought.

What makes you think they would stop producing copies of the game if they keep selling? The only reason you can't buy a new copy is because there are tons of used copies for sale and the company doesn't even want to bother competing against the used games market.

Why is it nobody really complained about 1 time use PC games but when consoles consider doing it it's "anti-consumer"?

Heck why don't people complain that they wasted money if they rented a game that was bad and should be entitled to money back from the renter? You paid to play that game and since it was bad you should be able to get your money back right?

I support blocking used games because it ensures the developers/publishers gets paid for there work and companies like gamestop stop making billions from reselling there work and not giving a dime to the people who made it.

I support blocking used games because smaller niche companies can expect a larger profit they deserve to get by not worrying if used games will cut into there sales. Blocking used games lowers the risks of making a game.

These next 2 are just rumors but not unreasonable if they block used games.

The game will be ripped entirely to the hard drive increasing overall speeds.

You get a free DD of the game as well.

If those are true than that would just add to the list of why I support blocking used games as those wouldn't be possible if they didn't

I rather be able to re obtain a copy of game I payed for free of charge anytime I want than be able to sell the game for a few bucks.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#10RevolutionV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:12:14 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

I can afford my hobby, which is why I am here. Sorry buddy, that won't work with me, I'm not a deadbeat.