This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't understand the people who support Blocking of Used games technology

#11RevolutionV(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:16:06 PM
AwayFromHere posted...
AwayFromHere posted...
If you can't afford your hobby, get a new one.

TC said absolutely nothing about not being able to afford games. Please read posts before spouting nonsensical drivel.

Many people use the money they get from trade-ins to buy new games.

Seems like a money issue to me.

"Many people" that included me when I was a teen and in my early twenties. I'm in my late twenties and have an excellent job (I'm a psychotherapist; not licensed yet, but I can practice under a clinical supervisor). But yes, there are people who do struggle and I don't want to judge them, I was one at some point. I'm not rich, but I'm comfortable enough to afford my hobbies.
#12BurgerTime79Posted 2/8/2013 9:19:56 PM
You've been open about being pro digital and against people who collect AwayFromHere, so your opinion in this matter is a bit of a moot point.

By blocking used games, you block the use of the games later in the system's lifespan and past it. A game that goes out of print them becomes impossible for someone to get the chance to play.
You also have the younger generation of gamers who don't buy their games directly, and may have parents who won't spend money on a brand new game. It's better for them to buy used, and have the chance to return it if the kid decides he doesn't like the game.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#13ReloadedPosted 2/8/2013 9:48:47 PM(edited)
kingofall214 posted...
Why is it gamers are against blocking used games but no one cares that you can't resell a $1 iphone game or a $1 song or a $6 DD movie? Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

Rest of your post is recycled drivel so I won't respond to those points, but the reason people are more willing to pay so little for iPhone apps or DD movies or Steam games is because the prices match the content being provided. There's a reason the music industry was heading toward its demise until iTunes started charging $0.99 for single tracks and $9.99 for albums, that's what consumers were willing to pay. They did not want to spend $18.99 on 3 hit songs + 10 tracks of filler. Gamers have shown they are willing to pay $59.99 for a PHYSICAL game that can be resold/traded in, and Steam has shown that we are willing to go digital when the price is right. Forcing gamers to spend $59.99 on games they are stuck with forever will lead to the gaming industries demise.
---
"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
#14jrr18Posted 2/8/2013 9:49:16 PM
Well aside form computers humans are really no smarter than we were 500 years ago from an evolutionary perspective in fact were probably getting dumber due the removal of natural selection because of our technology.
---
Victory over the space pirates through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#15faris_ruhiPosted 2/8/2013 9:59:33 PM
I understand them just fine.

To simply put it, they're ignorant and think that money is the only reason why people don't want used games to go away.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Backlog on hold. Currently playing: Halo 4
#16ShadowSkill11Posted 2/8/2013 10:54:38 PM
If you can't afford the gaming hobby get a new one. Why does a dev care if you buy a used game since they don't get a dime from it? I hope they use a Steam like model where your games are tied to a user account. Doing this would also motivate lower prices and sales because of little to no revenue lost on used games and trading.
#17AtalalamaPosted 2/9/2013 9:20:37 AM
kingofall214 posted...
1. Why is it gamers are against blocking used games but no one cares that you can't resell a $1 iphone game or a $1 song or a $6 DD movie? Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

2. Why do people think they should always get a buy 1 get 1 free deal if there is more than 1 game in a series? I say that because developers/publishers don't get a cent for that used 1st game you bought.

3. What makes you think they would stop producing copies of the game if they keep selling? The only reason you can't buy a new copy is because there are tons of used copies for sale and the company doesn't even want to bother competing against the used games market.

4. Why is it nobody really complained about 1 time use PC games but when consoles consider doing it it's "anti-consumer"?

5. Heck why don't people complain that they wasted money if they rented a game that was bad and should be entitled to money back from the renter? You paid to play that game and since it was bad you should be able to get your money back right?

6. I support blocking used games because it ensures the developers/publishers gets paid for there work and companies like gamestop stop making billions from reselling there work and not giving a dime to the people who made it.

7. I support blocking used games because smaller niche companies can expect a larger profit they deserve to get by not worrying if used games will cut into there sales. Blocking used games lowers the risks of making a game.

These next 2 are just rumors but not unreasonable if they block used games.

8. The game will be ripped entirely to the hard drive increasing overall speeds.

9. You get a free DD of the game as well.

If those are true than that would just add to the list of why I support blocking used games as those wouldn't be possible if they didn't

I rather be able to re obtain a copy of game I payed for free of charge anytime I want than be able to sell the game for a few bucks.

1. $1 game vs $60 game.

2. Buy 1 get 1 free? What are you even typing about? Do you mean money saved by buying used? Uhmm...yeah, that's called economics.

3. Shelf life, buddy. Stores have limited space, and after 3-6 months a game has usually reached its saturation point at the 80% - 100% MSRP. So, stores will offer sales for the garbage they can't get rid of.

4. Console gamers vs PC gamers. This has been a complaint console gamers have had about the PC market for YEARS. Not paying attention much, no?

5. People would rather spend $5 to play a game & learn they hate it, then $30-$60 and learn they hate it. Besides, a rental they can give back. Try returning a purchased game. Most stores won't take it if its opened, and those that do? They sell used games.

6. That's nice. I support economic systems & theories that have worked for millennia. And no, I'm not talking about the fiat system.

7. You DO know that niche gamers typically buy new, as there's less product made, right?

8. And how long did it take you to download it? Did you make certain to not go over your data cap? 'Cause THAT'S not going away any time soon. And if we're JUST talking about "ripping" the game, what do you do when you run out of HD space? What do you do when publishers say "Yeah, no more ripping either, your console disc speed is fast enough for it to not matter anyway."? Also, what happens when that game you wanted to download is removed from sale? You never see it again. What happens when that game you paid to play online disappears? You lose the money you spent on it, 'cause it was never yours to begin with.

9. For however long publishers are willing to offer it free DD. Nothing says they will forever.
#18Demon_ShadoPosted 2/9/2013 9:26:49 AM
What if starting a used game required a small activation fee that goes directly to the publishers (instead of gamestop). Would that be reasonable?
#19nikowwfPosted 2/9/2013 9:29:43 AM
No used games stinks. People defending it need to get Sony's logo out of their butt. I jsut got got Dragon's Dogma for $30 - there goes that in the PS4 generation. Who would have thought the reasonable company going forward would be Nintendo. Ugh..
#20gamestop27Posted 2/9/2013 9:35:32 AM
faris_ruhi posted...
I understand them just fine.

To simply put it, they're ignorant and think that money is the only reason why people don't want used games to go away.

This.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~William Simms