This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't understand the people who support Blocking of Used games technology

#21ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 9:39:25 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
AwayFromHere posted...
If you can't afford your hobby, get a new one.

TC said absolutely nothing about not being able to afford games. Please read posts before spouting nonsensical drivel.

Many people use the money they get from trade-ins to buy new games.

Seems like a money issue to me.

I buy 7 $60 games throughout time. I trade them in to get one $60 game. How is that a money issue lmao??
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#22RobotPirteGhostPosted 2/9/2013 9:42:26 AM(edited)
kingofall214 posted...
Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

Because there becomes no alternative. If you want the game, you have to pay whatever they're charging for it. If they've got you by the balls, why would they lower the price of games? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the price of games goes up so the greedy publishers can rake in more money from a restricted market.

It's like buying snacks at a movie theater. You can't get your soda and popcorn anywhere else, so they jack up the prices to make more money. What makes you think game publishers won't do the same thing?
---
RIP City of Heroes and Paragon Studios - Killed by NCsoft.
Not changing this line until Dimitri, Moosh, and Ricky appear in another LOZ game (7/20/09)
#23AtalalamaPosted 2/9/2013 9:46:29 AM
RobotPirteGhost posted...
kingofall214 posted...
Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

Because there becomes no alternative. If you want the game, you have to pay whatever they're charging for it. If they've got you by the balls, why would they lower the price of games? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the price of games goes up so the greedy publishers can rake in more money from a restricted market.

It's like buying snacks at a movie theater. You can't get your soda and popcorn anywhere else, so they jack up the prices to make more money. What makes you think game publishers won't do the same thing?

In other words, MILLIONS of cases of historical precedent in the last century alone.
#24chiefofsb78Posted 2/9/2013 9:46:52 AM
I dont support it i just understand it i dont buy used games so it just doesnt effect me so dont care
#25ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 9:52:26 AM
kingofall214 posted...
Why is it gamers are against blocking used games but no one cares that you can't resell a $1 iphone game or a $1 song or a $6 DD movie? Why do they also assume that publishers will still charge $60 day 1 if they blocked used games?

Why do people think they should always get a buy 1 get 1 free deal if there is more than 1 game in a series? I say that because developers/publishers don't get a cent for that used 1st game you bought.

What makes you think they would stop producing copies of the game if they keep selling? The only reason you can't buy a new copy is because there are tons of used copies for sale and the company doesn't even want to bother competing against the used games market.

Why is it nobody really complained about 1 time use PC games but when consoles consider doing it it's "anti-consumer"?

Heck why don't people complain that they wasted money if they rented a game that was bad and should be entitled to money back from the renter? You paid to play that game and since it was bad you should be able to get your money back right?

I support blocking used games because it ensures the developers/publishers gets paid for there work and companies like gamestop stop making billions from reselling there work and not giving a dime to the people who made it.

I support blocking used games because smaller niche companies can expect a larger profit they deserve to get by not worrying if used games will cut into there sales. Blocking used games lowers the risks of making a game.

These next 2 are just rumors but not unreasonable if they block used games.

The game will be ripped entirely to the hard drive increasing overall speeds.

You get a free DD of the game as well.

If those are true than that would just add to the list of why I support blocking used games as those wouldn't be possible if they didn't

I rather be able to re obtain a copy of game I payed for free of charge anytime I want than be able to sell the game for a few bucks.

1.) Because they are all downloaded... We are talking discs with content on it that can be move around. Because they want more money.
2.) Because like one game is older? lol. And if they do that then they care more about consumers then their salaries.
3.) Unpopular games would quickly be put down because it cost more to make the games and they end up wasting money. Games like AC and CoD have no need to worry about this. But if it's like 6 years later I doubt you're gonna find a copy easily. Amazon work though.
4.) Because the majority of gamers are not PC players and don't care or don't know about them.
5.) Uh only those conartists do that. The only other exception is that the game was damaged.
6.) It's understandable that you would support it for giving the companies more money but what if it have the opposite effects? Also not everyone have a job that can get them games new. Take college students. They can't afford much so they use Gamestop/Best Buy to get cheaper games. Not everyone have thousands of dollars to spend.
7.) Eh, I doubt it will help them much. I can only see bigger companies benefiting from this.
8.) Not unreasonable?
-I can't play them on a new console that I buy.
-I can't play them on a friend console.
-I can't put it in, find out that it doesn't work at all and give it back because it is worthless... Well maybe I can.
-I can't trade in game I paid for new to get a new game.
9.) And your hard drive and DD things are speculation.
10.) You need to shut up and read reasons why ban used games shouldn't happen.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#26Godly_GoofPosted 2/9/2013 10:02:04 AM
Because most gamers are to stupid to realize that its basically illegal since it violates the North American ownership laws, the individual that buys the disc has the rights and ownership of the disc and and free use of it, limiting it is basically theft to the owner. Ya companies do this with online passes, however they sell online passes again if you want them and it also doesnt limit offline play either.

And before anyone brings up PC gaming for this, that was altered because of the whole piracy thing, that isnt the case with console based games. In addition before anyone tries to draw the ignorant conclusion that selling used games is like piracy.

NO! IT ISNT! Because selling of a disc is simply the transferring of the ownership of the disc, pirating is the illegal distribution of intellectual property i.e. The content of the disc itself which is illegal.

In much the same way when you buy say a book you have the ownership of the physical copy, however you own none of the contents therein and thus why you have to quote, cite, and reference other peoples lines when you use them.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#27RisingWaterPosted 2/9/2013 10:04:09 AM(edited)
I think software license thing is the biggest scam in the history of the mankind.People should be able to resell software,period.
Unauthorized copying,etc is industry problem,not a consumer problem.There are some movements in the EU in favor of digital resales,though.

However,I also think that Gamestop like practices are totally unfair for developers.Pushing used like crazy from day one,selling it just few bucks cheaper...some reports said about opening new copies and selling them as used,no idea if true or not
Frankly,that is totally parasitic behavior.

But that is the way of life,there is always some shmuck that in the end ruins things for everybody.
#28Godly_GoofPosted 2/9/2013 10:10:29 AM
RisingWater posted...
I think software license thing is the biggest scam in the history of the mankind.People should be able to resell software,period.
Unauthorized copying,etc is industry problem,not a consumer problem.There are some movements in the EU in favor of digital resales,though.

However,I also think that Gamestop like practices are totally unfair for developers.Pushing used like crazy from day one,selling it just few bucks cheaper...some reports said about opening new copies and selling them as used,no idea if true or not
Frankly,that is totally parasitic behavior.

But that is the way of life,there is always some shmuck that in the end ruins things for everybody.

... Okay I'm going to clear all this up for you then ....

1) Yes they should, and more often then not they can, most places have work arounds like new codes for old discs.

2) Yes, its the industries problem BUT! It's also why the industry started making so many restrictions to limit it, its like a double edged sword.

3) Thats called business whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is when then get a used game as a trade in they give the person back store credit, that indirectly goes back into the game industry when they have to use it. Not to mention its basically GS making an "investment" hoping to now resell that game for a profit of what they gave them in store credit, they may end up losing money if they dont sell it or have to sell it for less.

4) They already bought the game from the developer and they have received full payment for the game, what they do after that is irrelevant, and they tend to only do that in extremely rare cases because they end up losing money on it especially if a person has a discount card.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#29kobalobasileusPosted 2/9/2013 10:11:10 AM
No used games will definitely make people less willing to take risks on new franchises, thus ensuring that the overwhelming glut of sequels we've been getting recently will only continue to get worse.
#30doodles40Posted 2/9/2013 10:12:16 AM
AwayFromHere posted...
If you can't afford your hobby, get a new one.

I can afford any game I want. The reason I'm against the used game ban is for two reasons.

1) When I'm done with a game I don't want it around. I've bought well over 100 PS3 games. I hate the clutter of having them around. I don't want to put them on a shelf and "display" them.

2) I really don't appreciate being told what I can do with something I spent my hard earned money on. After I buy something no one should have the right to tell me what I can do with it, especially greedy, whiny developers who don't give one lick about consumers. Frankly they can bite me.

I do buy a majority of my games new but sometimes I just don't feel a game is worth paying full price for.