This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Here's an angle of the used games market that most don't consider...

#1dankanefanPosted 2/8/2013 10:05:06 PM
I rarely hear this brought up, but what about older games? I'm talking current gen only. I just bought the Simpsons Game and Tony Hawk's Proving Ground for PS3 for less than $10 each on eBay recently and I think a ban on used games will cause issues with this type of thing. Out of print games.

What do you guys think? If there are no used games and all games are available through DD, would you be willing to pay $20+ for games that are 6 years old? I highly doubt you'd find a game for $5 (before shipping) on DD like I did with THPG.
---
www.saccitygamer.wordpress.com (My Gaming Blog)
@SacCityGamer ~ www.facebook.com/SacCityGamer
#2mogar002Posted 2/8/2013 10:07:08 PM
Been brought up millions of times.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#3PoifectionPosted 2/8/2013 10:10:17 PM
I'm willing to bet that all next gen titles will be purchasable via disc based media and online simultaneously. Can't run out of online copies so the point is potentially moot. Another rumour that has been floating around regarding the next xbox is that it will force always online connectivity in order to charge the user an 'online pass'-esque key that allows the license to be transferred to another user.

It's all speculation at this point though.
---
"How the Christ do you expect to reverse-Atlantis an entire city? You're just the Dragonborn, not the Daedric Prince of Civil Engineering." DocWily
#4dankanefan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:14:14 PM(edited)
mogar002 posted...
Been brought up millions of times.

Okay. Well, I haven't seen it, so humor me.
---
#5dankanefan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:13:33 PM
Poifection posted...
I'm willing to bet that all next gen titles will be purchasable via disc based media and online simultaneously. Can't run out of online copies so the point is potentially moot. Another rumour that has been floating around regarding the next xbox is that it will force always online connectivity in order to charge the user an 'online pass'-esque key that allows the license to be transferred to another user.

True, it's all speculation. My point isn't about availability, it's about price. Look at the Microsoft games on demand or the PSP store. 5-6 year old games for $40 or more in some cases. It's ridiculous when those same games can be had in PHYSICAL form for about $5. THIS is the issue I have with not only DD but also the banning of used games. It creates a pricing monopoly for the companies that are in control of the price.
---
#6jrr18Posted 2/8/2013 10:15:54 PM
dankanefan posted...
Poifection posted...

True, it's all speculation. My point isn't about availability, it's about price. Look at the Microsoft games on demand or the PSP store. 5-6 year old games for $40 or more in some cases. It's ridiculous when those same games can be had in PHYSICAL form for about $5. THIS is the issue I have with not only DD but also the banning of used games. It creates a pricing monopoly for the companies that are in control of the price.

Well it's not likely but they could follow steam and not overprice old games.
---
Victory over the space pirates through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#7dankanefan(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 10:23:03 PM
jrr18 posted...
dankanefan posted...
Poifection posted...

Well it's not likely but they could follow steam and not overprice old games.

Yeah, Steam has it right, but I highly doubt Sony or Microsoft would follow suit. At least based on the PSN/PSP/Vita and Xbox Games on Demand stores.
---