This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony: PS4's main selling point "new playing options, not improved hardware specs

#1SolnotPosted 2/8/2013 10:41:53 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/sony-ps4-main-selling-point-new-playing-options/

As Sony Computer Entertainment warms up its blue lighting and double-checks its playlist for February 20th, one unnamed SCE official says that the PlayStation 4 will act as more of a home entertainment hub than what we've seen in the past. They added, according to the Nikkei, that the main selling point won't be the rumored eight-core AMD64 CPU or other hardware specs, but how it opens up new styles of play -- something Nintendo is also focusing on. Sony is going to push the new console as a home entertainment "nerve center," with a focus on the hardware's ability to connect and share to mobile devices -- the rival that's pulling gamers away from traditional consoles. Edge had previously mentioned the possibility of a dedicated share button on the next-gen controller, though that remains a product of the rumor mill at the moment. No discussion on any Gaikai-powered cloud gaming just yet, but following its unveiling later this month, the report states that the new PlayStation should launch before the end of the year. A bit of a shame, then, that it's still only February.
#2craelonPosted 2/8/2013 10:49:01 PM
Did we finally make it? Is it really that day, the day where the next console coming out isn't about updated hardware and better graphics but to expand the way we interact with games?

I know what most people will say:
"So they're going with updating their gimmicks and casual playing market instead of focusing on us hardcores."

To that I say, **** YOU! I stopped caring about updating graphics since the Sega Saturn. We finally make it to the point that "graphics" are capping off and we aren't making games look any more real than they possibly can and you want them to keep pushing a line that doesn't exist anymore. Sure, it will most likely be a bunch of gimmicky crap that no one will play, but the point is they're trying. I would love to see a shift of focus for consoles that leaves the tired, old "make it look prettier" mindset. We've had about 2 decades of graphics improvements with little change to depth. Even if the first few years of this are gimmicky casual BS I count this as moving in the right direction.

Interactivity and playability over graphics and processing, plz.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#3SophisticationPosted 2/8/2013 10:56:32 PM
Anyone who believes ps4 won't be a huge leap over ps3 is delusional... they will not release a ps3 again. It's lunacy to think they would.

You can stack this rubbish right along the other rubbish rumours. Ps4's selling point will be graphics. Deal with it.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#4goemon1977Posted 2/8/2013 11:13:44 PM
Sophistication posted...
Anyone who believes ps4 won't be a huge leap over ps3 is delusional... they will not release a ps3 again. It's lunacy to think they would.

You can stack this rubbish right along the other rubbish rumours. Ps4's selling point will be graphics. Deal with it.

Agreed! Sony has always been about being a powerhouse, sure it may pull off some new tricks but the guts of that thing are going to be top tier for the time it is released. To think otherwise is plain dumb.
---
Wii U ID goemon12677
#5googlerPosted 2/8/2013 11:29:02 PM
I hope they don't plan on making experia the exclusive mobile device, as they're going to be in for another rude awakening
#6gamestop27Posted 2/8/2013 11:38:50 PM
They're gonna blindfold gamers and toss them in killhouses with real guns.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~William Simms
#7Bancario51Posted 2/8/2013 11:42:08 PM
Xbox 720 main selling point: Processing power.
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#8SophisticationPosted 2/8/2013 11:51:52 PM
Bancario51 posted...
Xbox 720 main selling point: Processing power.

Actually...

1.2 nbox to 1.8 ps4... so no, processing power isn't going to be its strong point.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#9AlltraPosted 2/8/2013 11:53:24 PM(edited)
Any time I hear the word "New" I cringe. It's one of those buzzwords designed to hype crap up, and it's rarely if ever anything to get excited about.

That, and "New" doesn't mean good or enjoyable either.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#10GoodOlWanduPosted 2/9/2013 12:00:26 AM
goemon1977 posted...
Sophistication posted...

Agreed! Sony has always been about being a powerhouse, sure it may pull off some new tricks but the guts of that thing are going to be top tier for the time it is released. To think otherwise is plain dumb.

I actually agree with both of you guys. Regardless, ps4 will be a day one buy!
---
PSN: Wandu
XBL: TALTON 187