This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People complaining about NEW games being too expensive ?????

#51uthoria205Posted 2/10/2013 1:27:05 AM
Sorry...Ill stick with buying used....besides, I dont see anyone using the same logic against used game with used cars, homes, etc.
#52realskillz1990Posted 2/10/2013 2:07:12 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
realskillz1990 posted...
PHOENIXZERO posted...
glory of power metal posted...
I've stated this before, but in general the last 3 generations' average new game cost has gone $40, $50, $60. The average development cost has gone $1 million, $5 million, $25 million. God of War 3 cost $45 million to make, so I can only imagine what kind of sales Ascension is hoping to achieve.

Now I'm not saying this is all totally necessary, I'd like to see a real breakdown of costs associated with each aspect of development and see where we can really cut enough cost to potentially have $50 new releases that aren't quite as pretty but still offer the same entertainment. At the same time, if you ***** about games being too expensive, you're either too young to have been gaming in the 90's, or are the cheapest person on Earth.

Yeah, I lost count on how many times I've argued this... I paid $83.19 for the SNES version of Chrono Trigger when I was a kid and caught hell for it. Adjusted for inflation that's over $120 today. >_< ROM chips were a pricey *****! Not like it started with that generation either. Gaming was a much more expensive hobby back before the switch to disc based storage.

For the fun of it people should also check out the adjusted prices of old consoles.

well if you buy a game at full price and plan on buying dlc later on you are paying between 70-100 bucks

When did buying all DLC become mandatory?? O_o

can you read?
---
You release your game and it has disc locked content and day 1 dlc I will just buy your game used.
#53TheCyborgNinjaPosted 2/10/2013 2:11:17 AM
Games also cost way more in some other markets, like Japan or Australia.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#54PHOENIXZEROPosted 2/10/2013 4:01:20 PM
uthoria205 posted...
Sorry...Ill stick with buying used....besides, I dont see anyone using the same logic against used game with used cars, homes, etc.

Cars, homes or pretty much any big ticket item like that tends to require upkeep. The auto industry can still make money off a used car from that with parts or from used cars sold from a dealership with the "certified pre-owned" gimmick the industry does, not to mention warranties. Homes are something that should never be brought into this discussion because that's just foolish. The only thing games should be lumped in with is other forms of entertainment. The difference between a lot of those other choices is, especially with music and film/tv is they have a lot of different revenue streams to make money off something... Of course that didn't stop their own attempts at destroying the second hand market.

At the end of the day, games aren't "too expensive" given the price history but if people want to buy it for a little less second hand then more power to them. The industry is free to do the online pass thing but beyond that they really need to stop *****ing and get over it and find options that don't involve ****ing over customers.
---
Search engines are awesome, you can find the answer to the question that's been asked a hundred times before in a manner of seconds, more people should try it.
#55JusticeSwordPosted 2/10/2013 4:17:48 PM
Videogame prices are at an alltime low & this is coming from someone in the UK.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#56Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 2:06:56 AM
JusticeSword posted...
Videogame prices are at an alltime low & this is coming from someone in the UK.

I gotta agree
#57morphinapgPosted 2/12/2013 1:40:01 PM
Even if prices are at an all time low, I still can't afford them. I typically have to wait until I can find them $20-30, and this usually happens by finding them used online.
#58MasterShake80Posted 2/12/2013 2:43:46 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Have you never heard of:
- a SALE
- Black Friday
- Best Buy gamer discounts
- Amazon no tax charge
- Holiday sales
- Toys R us buy one get one 50% off
- Amazon random sales
- Pre-order discounts
- Best Buy pre-order $20 credit
- Price drops

Theres NO reason to complain about NEW games
Nobody is forcing you to spend $60, I always buy new and never ever spend $60 on a game because I am not rich,
instead I take advantage of the list I just mentioned.

Good point.

Perhaps the best thing I've read recently about the subject is this article right here:

http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/do-games-cost-too-much/

It definitively shows that because games are on average getting longer, have more content, and cost more to develop, not only is $60 a fair price even when compared to movies & music on a cost-per-hour basis, but also that due to the effects of inflation games are cheaper now than ever before.
#59MasterShake80Posted 2/12/2013 2:47:26 PM
NovaKaneX posted...
Who the hell really pays $60 a pop for games these days? O_o

Lots of people. The last several COD games alone have sold over 20 million copies each, and most of those in the first several months after release, well before they got a price cut.
#60PhaseSlaethePosted 2/12/2013 2:49:56 PM
TheCyborgNinja posted...
Games also cost way more in some other markets, like Japan or Australia.

Better economies, so it evens out.

I always hear Aussies whine about their prices, but some of their lowest wages are fantasies for people in America.

$100 a game if you make $17 an hour isn't even a twitch.