This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was Sixaxis ever actually good?

#1theatrical_catPosted 2/9/2013 2:26:45 AM
I've only encountered 2 games so far that have actual Sixaxis segments in them (lay off me, I just got a PS3 last fall and I'm poor) and both times they were poorly implemented and effed up the gameplay.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune- grenades can only be used with Sixaxis controls. This makes them completely unusable to me. Drake has to stand out in the open and get shot while I'm carefully tilting my controller back to get the proper angle. It's crap and I died almost every time I tried to use a grenade. (Also the occasional walking across a log or whatever, but that only happened like 4 times in the entire game.)

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction- one major weapon and a whole lot of minigames and side stuff was Sixaxis based. Just awful. The Tornado Launcher was useless in battle; I shouldn't have to tilt to controller around while I'm also trying to dodge enemies shooting at me, and it's almost impossible to aim. Things like the Geo-Laser, the Decrypter and the Robo-Wings were a pain to have to go through (though as I understand it, the Decrypter and Robo-Wings could also be controlled by the analog stick. Nothing in the game ever indicates this, it just says so on the R&C wiki).

I remember Lair was supposed to be a super awesome dragon flying game based on Sixaxis, and I've heard both that it's not that bad and totally sucks. Given my experiences with Sixaxis, I'm inclined to believe that it sucked.

So have there been any actual objectively good uses of Sixaxis?
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#2RetroFanGirlPosted 2/9/2013 2:29:05 AM
Laughing hysterically while piloting a helicopter in GTA 4.
---
Hi.
#3Dicer7Posted 2/9/2013 2:35:37 AM
I thought the Sixaxis moments in Heavy Rain were kinda neat. Also shaking your controller in MGS4 reset Snake's Octocamo. Sure they could've mapped a button for that but I thought it was cool. Games could utilize it like that so it wouldn't have to be so gimmicky.
#4theatrical_cat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:39:37 AM
Dicer7 posted...
I thought the Sixaxis moments in Heavy Rain were kinda neat. Also shaking your controller in MGS4 reset Snake's Octocamo. Sure they could've mapped a button for that but I thought it was cool. Games could utilize it like that so it wouldn't have to be so gimmicky.

I dunno, I find it hard to imagine that tilting my controller or shaking it at random points could ever not be gimmicky. If i wanted to wiggle my controller around like a spaz, I'd play the Wii, y'know?

I mean, what could Sixaxis have ever been other than a gimmick?
---
#5hotwheeler89Posted 2/9/2013 2:45:55 AM
Dicer7 posted...

I think those are 2 good examples. Besides grenades in Uncharted you also have to shake the controller when the cursed spaniards jumped on your back.
---
"Why is it our job to save everyone? Haven't we done enough?"
#6theatrical_cat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 2:49:16 AM
hotwheeler89 posted...
Dicer7 posted...

I think those are 2 good examples. Besides grenades in Uncharted you also have to shake the controller when the cursed spaniards jumped on your back.

Haven't played Heavy Rain, but I want to- hoping Sixaxis won't screw with me there. Haven't played MGS4 either, but the shaking as part of the gameplay is just what i don't want. If I have to physically shake the controller, it ruins the immersion for me- like the game just has to remind me that I'm playing a video game.

And in Uncharted- you mean the zombies? They can do that? I usually ran from them or shot them to death.
---
#7roysaxPosted 2/9/2013 2:50:00 AM
Another MGS4 example, shaking the controller in scenes with Naomi.
#8Dicer7Posted 2/9/2013 2:52:41 AM
theatrical_cat posted...
Dicer7 posted...

I dunno, I find it hard to imagine that tilting my controller or shaking it at random points could ever not be gimmicky. If i wanted to wiggle my controller around like a spaz, I'd play the Wii, y'know?

I mean, what could Sixaxis have ever been other than a gimmick?

Well in MGS4's case the Sixaxis feature isn't integral at all the core gameplay. It's just kinda... there. For Heavy Rain the entire game is pretty much a series of QTEs so I felt the Sixaxis moments were okay. Playing Simon Says with Sixaxis is slightly more engaging than with regular buttons, but that's just me.

Overall I do agree with the sentiment that Sixaxis is a gimmick. It felt like a last minute throw in from Sony to steal some of the Wii's thunder. I don't think it's always bad, though.
#9awesomesauce13Posted 2/9/2013 2:55:16 AM
Shaking the controller to get enemies off you (eg Uncharted, Dead Space) is a pretty good use for it IMO. Also I thought the sixaxis stuff in R&C: Tools of Destruction was actually quite good, most of it anyway. Apart from that though every other time I've had to/had the option to use it has been stupid (you can NOT competently steer a vehicle with sixaxis, no matter how many games seem to think it's possible)
#10thesnoopmeisterPosted 2/9/2013 2:56:47 AM
I am not even joking when I say it took me over an hour to realise I had to tilt the controller in Dark Sector.