This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Topic for people who 100% support the ban on used games for future consoles

#141lxcainxlPosted 2/9/2013 9:56:49 AM
kingofall214 posted...
If your CD breaks? If your cart breaks? Do you get a free one from gamestop? No. Also I am sure there is a way to copy your games onto an external hard drive. I know on my vita if sony cut me off tomorrow I will have all my vita games on my vita as well as my laptop and can back them up and restore it to my vita as much as I want.

The fundamental problem with backing up your software from a PS3 is that the filesystem is encrypted.

Yes it is "possible" to get the information.... but sadly, it appears nobody has done this yet.
---
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Signatures are a waste of time and space; that is why I am leaving mine blank.
#142Toxicum_SPosted 2/9/2013 10:00:46 AM
"Topic for people who 100% support the ban on used games for future consoles" ?
Oh yeah, all idiots in one place. :)
Then you support only new games you support not developers, but publishers, and, BTW, developers dont not starve without it.
With methods like this you only encouraging piracy (because there is no invulnerable protection, and nextgen PS4 \ Xbox 720 will be hacked sooner or later ), force more peoples to join dark side and accordingly dev will get even less money than before.
#143Ness0123456789Posted 2/9/2013 10:01:13 AM
Lol, digital games drop price? Did you even read my post child? There are games that are quite a few years old on the PSN store that are still $60 when they're in store for half that, sometimes less than half, going all digital doesn't mean dick when it comes to price drops.

That's because, surprise, the developers still have to compete with the brick and mortar stores even then. And for as many games on the PSN that are still $60, there also quite a few that have been down-marked as well.

Phones, ipods, ipads and iphone games are irrelevant, they're not really games, they're just little two dollar hunks of trash people call games, oh, by the way, why aren't the people on the PC market complaining? Because if they can't buy it used, it's not that hard to pirate it.

There are two things that are painfully wrong with that post. We'll address the first: Yes, there are a bunch of crappy shovel ware titles on the Android and Apple Market, that's to be expected. But there are also ports and full fledged games from major companies that are quite the opposite. Or am I to believe that, in your ridiculous sweeping judgement of the Apple Market, games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar Silver Star Story, Chrono Trigger, and Shining Force, all beloved classics, are "little two dollar hunks of trash people call games".

The second problem, and this one is just painful to read, is the PC market. So, are you really telling me that pirating is okay? Because if you are, I'm going to go ahead and quote you on this: "Anyone who agrees with this automatically gets their right to have an opinion on the subject revoked, you sir, now have no right to an opinion."

Oh look, another tool who thinks "Either buy every game brand new or stop gaming." well lets see here...how about "Either buy that car new or stop driving." and "Either buy every book new or stop reading." There's absolutely no logic in that argument kid.

Actually there is, and your horrible fallacy of comparing books and cars to video games is just painful. First: Books do not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create. It takes time and effort to, and that's about it. As for the car sales...Yeah, I'm not going to even go near that, as dealership sales with cars is ridiculously complex compared to game sales, where it's identical to books: Either buy new and pay the developer, or buy used and the developer doesn't get a cent.

Honestly, your entire post is filled with logical fallacies and the ramblings of, ironically, a small child, which is something you seem to love to call other posters. You have almost zero knowledge if the industry or retail practices, and it shows. If you're going to try to make an argument, at least know what you're talking about instead of getting on a high horse that is far, far to big for you to sit on.

There are pros and cons to blocking used games, but the pros far outweigh the cons for developers, and down the road, consumers as well.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#144UniversquallPosted 2/9/2013 10:01:33 AM
kingofall214 posted...
If your CD breaks? If your cart breaks? Do you get a free one from gamestop? No. Also I am sure there is a way to copy your games onto an external hard drive. I know on my vita if sony cut me off tomorrow I will have all my vita games on my vita as well as my laptop and can back them up and restore it to my vita as much as I want.

Hey sorry your HDD had 500 games on it that we won't let you download again. But hey if you had 500 game discs and they broke all at the same time we wouldn't replace them either...
---
After the Fallout
#145SDFan18Posted 2/9/2013 10:07:52 AM
lxcainxl posted...
That is not a ban. Neither Sony or Microsoft have the slightest legislative or executive power to do such a thing. I think many GF users confuse the words, "ban", "boycott", and "block".

The only ban that has occurred that I know of, in the U.S at least, is just recently (this past January) when Massachusetts Turnpike Authority forced gas station / travel stops to remove "violent" video games.

It will pretty much be a ban if they lock it to one system only, with no way of unlocking the disc for a second user. I'm sure they'll have some kind of disc unlock fee you'd have to pay or something, either way used games as we know it could be gone. Not that it bothers me personally, I wouldn't mind a system like that.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86
#146LsnakePosted 2/9/2013 10:08:29 AM
I don't fully support the ban since I'm a little concerned that it could have the opposite effect of what is desired, but I don't complain either. I always buy new, but that is elitist, since there's plenty who can't afford to buy these games new and relies on a used market.

I do however, realize that the gaming industry is in a very unique, negative position, compared to any other entertainment industry. It doesn't cost much to write a book. All you need is time and something to write with. You don't even have to give up your normal work. Musicians can do great on concerts in addition to royalties. And movies? They got the cinema. But games can now have production costs of a movie, but no way to get back all that money. It can be compared to all movies suddenly going straight to DVD. It would not be pretty.

Some form of compromise might have to be done, and if it takes completely banning used games for the industry to survive, then so be it. I'd rather buy games new than not having games at all, or just sitting on my smartphone with Angry Birds all night long..

No thanks, I'll support whatever it takes so I can enjoy massive triple-A games now and in the future.
---
-War. War never changes. (Fallout)
-War. War has changed. (MGS4)
#147ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 10:09:12 AM
Still__Rippin posted...
Supporting the ban on used games is not going to make the industry tank. It will empower the devs and give them the hard earned money they deserve. If games go this route l suspect a DD method will make out of print games still able to be bought and played. Perhaps lower initial prices and good sales like Steam will be there to compensate for no used games. Seems like a great idea to me.

Get this through your thick skulls folks!!!

A ban on used game mean:
1.) You can't sell it. It will have 0 value. Once you buy it, it become worthless.
2.) College students would be waiting for price drops just so they can play a game because they don't have much money.
3.) You can't take your games over to your friends and play it on their playstation/xbox. That mean you have to carry the whole thing, with the wires and stuffs, and reset the PS4 configuration on their TV, find out their wireless codes, etc.
4.) A major loss in jobs. Gamestop would suffer and will be reduce to only selling new games. With equal competitions like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and a better competition like Amazon, we would be seeing less sales from most of these retailers aside from pre-orders.
5.) If one console were to do this and the other don't then you would be seeing a mass movement to the other console. And that mean lower consoles sales.
6.) Developers get more money. As if they didn't get enough through DLC...
7.) Buying discs will seem useless and more would download BUT that require an internet connection and as we know, PSN and Xbox Live did have some serious downtime.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#148FuNsH1nEPosted 2/9/2013 10:09:18 AM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Lol, digital games drop price? Did you even read my post child? There are games that are quite a few years old on the PSN store that are still $60 when they're in store for half that, sometimes less than half, going all digital doesn't mean dick when it comes to price drops.

That's because, surprise, the developers still have to compete with the brick and mortar stores even then. And for as many games on the PSN that are still $60, there also quite a few that have been down-marked as well.

Phones, ipods, ipads and iphone games are irrelevant, they're not really games, they're just little two dollar hunks of trash people call games, oh, by the way, why aren't the people on the PC market complaining? Because if they can't buy it used, it's not that hard to pirate it.

There are two things that are painfully wrong with that post. We'll address the first: Yes, there are a bunch of crappy shovel ware titles on the Android and Apple Market, that's to be expected. But there are also ports and full fledged games from major companies that are quite the opposite. Or am I to believe that, in your ridiculous sweeping judgement of the Apple Market, games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Lunar Silver Star Story, Chrono Trigger, and Shining Force, all beloved classics, are "little two dollar hunks of trash people call games".

The second problem, and this one is just painful to read, is the PC market. So, are you really telling me that pirating is okay? Because if you are, I'm going to go ahead and quote you on this: "Anyone who agrees with this automatically gets their right to have an opinion on the subject revoked, you sir, now have no right to an opinion."

Oh look, another tool who thinks "Either buy every game brand new or stop gaming." well lets see here...how about "Either buy that car new or stop driving." and "Either buy every book new or stop reading." There's absolutely no logic in that argument kid.

Actually there is, and your horrible fallacy of comparing books and cars to video games is just painful. First: Books do not cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create. It takes time and effort to, and that's about it. As for the car sales...Yeah, I'm not going to even go near that, as dealership sales with cars is ridiculously complex compared to game sales, where it's identical to books: Either buy new and pay the developer, or buy used and the developer doesn't get a cent.

Honestly, your entire post is filled with logical fallacies and the ramblings of, ironically, a small child, which is something you seem to love to call other posters. You have almost zero knowledge if the industry or retail practices, and it shows. If you're going to try to make an argument, at least know what you're talking about instead of getting on a high horse that is far, far to big for you to sit on.

There are pros and cons to blocking used games, but the pros far outweigh the cons for developers, and down the road, consumers as well.

Not seeing the "pro" from the consumer point of view lol. Right now I have the option of calling up my buddy Kyle and saying "Hey man do you have Dead Space? I haven't played it and I'm interested in doing so" but in the future I will never play such a game because I don't care enough to buy the game (new or used). The only games I actually buy are games I will play multiple times...or if I can buy them for $30 or less during black friday sales/something of the sort. The only way this would increase game sales is if they priced games at a WAY lower point than the probable $70 (all of these combined makes my decision to not purchase either one of these new systems very easy). Hope it is all just a rumor.
#149kingofall214Posted 2/9/2013 10:10:37 AM
masterarbiter44 posted...
Xeven posted...
I've been buying games since the NES was active and never bought a used game yet, so I'm okay with the ban on them... and if it helps the industry--then all the better.

Understandably, it'll suck for those who do, but I think it's pirating of games more than used that's a bigger problem. I'd miss the former much more, because there are a lot of games I want to try, but don't interest me enough to buy. It's a double-edged sword.

As far as I'm aware, it's been two years and the 3DS still hasn't been hacked, which amazes me.

This has been said, but I'll say it again. The only people who this would benefit, would be the publishers. The developers are paid differently than you'd think. The money from a purchase goes to the publisher THEN the developer. After six months, the developers are likely to not see any more money from new purchases. This will only give more money, power, and control to companies like Activision, EA, Capcom and the like. Which in case you don't know, is not the best idea.

You are incorrect. This has been said, but I'll say it again. It depends on the developer. Some get paid a salary others get paid royalties for every game sold. Just like movie publishing and book publishing and music publishing

It works like this.

Publisher has money. Developer has an idea for a game. Developer asks publisher for money to make the game. They make a contract. In that contract it could ether be

I the publisher will pay you one salary and $ needed to make the game. You will only get that salary. You have no claim to any money for this game you are making.

Or

I am the publisher. I will pay you a salary and $ to make the game. You will also get a % of the profits made off of the game.

#1 Is usally offered for newer developers. They are new and as such a risk the publisher has to take.

#2 is usally offered to rock solid developers like R* for example.

Developer makes the game. Game gets manufactured. Game is sold to retailers. Publishers get's the cash.

Now used games comes into play. When a retailer runs out of copies they have a choice. Order more copies from publisher (publisher gets more money). Not order any more (publisher gets no money) or buy and sell the game used (publisher gets no money.)

Ether way more sales is good for the developer. If a game doesn't meet the publishers expectations the developers will get the ax. If the game meets or exceeds expectations there can be talks about whether or not to keep the developer to make a sequel, new game etc.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#150TheBaronBoomPosted 2/9/2013 10:13:07 AM
kingofall214 posted...
TheBaronBoom posted...
Anyone who supports a used video game ban on future consoles for the sake of the developers is BEYOND idiotic.
Whether you buy used or not the devs are NOT seeing a cent; they've already been paid by the publisher for making the game, who then gets paid by a retail chain (ie: Gamestop) for the physical copies.
If anything your hurting gamestop buying used...
And what would happen if something happend to your system and/or account?
if you had 20 games for a system and suddenly your account gets hacked guess what?
You lose those 20 games and seeing that new games are $59.99 over here in the U.S.A you just lost $1,199.8
There is no reason to support this nonsense.

Clearly can't read the post above yours. It depends on the developer. Some get paid a salary others get paid royalties for every game sold. Just like movie publishing and book publishing and music publishing.

I can also tell you this. If a game does bad in sales guess who gets the ax? the developers of the game. If the game sells well then the publisher will keep doing business with them and keep paying them.

If gamestop didn't keep reselling games used then they would have to buy more copies of the game new from the publisher. Instead gamestop just stocks up on used games after a month because most games don't have infinite replay value and sells them for the almost the same price as new.

You are wrong here. Currently on the PS3 if you have all your games on your hard drive even if your account gets closed you can still play those games. Sony doesn't delete them off your hard drive like Amazon does with the kindle. So your arguement is invalid.

I did read your post but I wanted to keep my post brief (so much for that)
And what you say is true.... but if a game sells badly whos fault is that? Me? for buying used? Gamestop? for not shoving the game down my throat while it was new?
The publisher? for not making the disk blue or gold? No if a game sells badly its the devs fault for making a subpar product. Why should I be force to pay full price for a game that only JUST intrigues me?
AND they do stop making games after a time.... so if you didn't buy FF17
in a reasonable ammount of time....well that your fault so no FF17 for you!
Unless you're saying that publishers should continue to make games indefinitly?
or should we just switch to digital? After the network the console devs created is long gone and your Fancy Xbox720 or ps4 suffers a (inevitable) crash what then if you wanted to play that ps4 cult classic....well you'd better hope that sony is 1: still making games... and 2: releases your favorite game on the ps5 or 6