This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Topic for people who 100% support the ban on used games for future consoles

#171kobalobasileusPosted 2/9/2013 11:08:35 AM
Still__Rippin posted...
l suspect a DD method will make out of print games still able to be bought and played. Perhaps lower initial prices and good sales like Steam will be there to compensate for no used games.

You assume too much. From what we've seen from Sony, Nintendo, and MS during the 7th Generation, there is no indication that any of your moon-eyed fantasies will actually come true... except on PC, where they have already come true. So why bother with consoles that will offer a terrible interpretation of an all-digital market when Steam and GOG have already got it right?
#172kingofall214Posted 2/9/2013 11:09:37 AM
lxcainxl posted...
Quick question (in regards to several people discussing licensing):

Have any of you written or otherwise been involved in a licence? (end-users nonwithstanding)

No but I have read one that would of involved me had my article been accepted. It was for cracked.com actually and I wrote a piece and wanted to see if it would get accepted. Turns out someone wrote a very similar article so I couldn't go through with it. but the deal I would have been offered would of been very similar to the publisher/developer contract. I would get paid $100 for my article. I would not post my article any where else. I would not be entitled to any money made by page hits so even if my article got 4 million hits that $100 ius all I would of got.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#173lxcainxlPosted 2/9/2013 11:13:32 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#174zespairPosted 2/9/2013 11:15:03 AM
i agree
---
Zespair
PSNID:Zespair
#175megamaticsPosted 2/9/2013 11:17:19 AM(edited)
hurley4 posted...
It's important to keep in mind that the people that complain about a block on used games, are not gamers. These people are actually complaining about having their ability to duplicate games and play them for free taken away. These topics aren't even necessary...You're arguing against people that aren't helping the gaming industry, so if they stop playing games, it makes no difference!

You say that without worrying about the long term ramifications.

Those Plastic Discs you're buying with your Used Locked Systems will be attached to that console until it breaks. There probably wont even be a way to transfer the license without a very inconveniencing method of doing so. Hell it even might be more strict with the importance in it functioning correctly and not allow you to move data once per year. There is already such a service on XBL and it's the most backwards crap I've ever used.

First You Transfer the License
THEN YOU HAVE TO REDOWNLOAD EACH GAME!!!...You don't have to sit through the install time but you do have to manually do that for each game. People usually don't just buy 10 games for their consoles, so you'll be scrolling through menus to associate your new console with games from your old console... You wanna know how NES handled that ? #BoomYoubuyaNewNESandputthecartinanditplayed.The coup de grace of it all is that you can't simply replace discs...You'll have to wait for a re-release or hope it's still available(or was at all) in some online shop.
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#176lxcainxlPosted 2/9/2013 11:15:40 AM
kingofall214 posted...

No but I have read one that would of involved me had my article been accepted. It was for cracked.com actually and I wrote a piece and wanted to see if it would get accepted. Turns out someone wrote a very similar article so I couldn't go through with it. but the deal I would have been offered would of been very similar to the publisher/developer contract. I would get paid $100 for my article. I would not post my article any where else. I would not be entitled to any money made by page hits so even if my article got 4 million hits that $100 ius all I would of got.

Bloody ouch! If you don't mind my saying so, $100 for exclusive, perpetual publication rights is . . . bonkers. I wouldn't be surprised to find them "recruiting" talent on Craigslist. :(

Even Reader's Digest pays out around $400 for submitted jokes (or at least they did in the past).
---
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Signatures are a waste of time and space; that is why I am leaving mine blank.
#177murdochAVPosted 2/9/2013 11:17:06 AM
I love the idea if only because it would mean the death of Gamestop, which has such a horrible business model.
#178Seifer_usPosted 2/9/2013 11:17:46 AM
kingofall214 posted...
Seifer_us posted...
Kingofall214 posted...
You never owned the game data. You never owned the song. You never owned the movie. The only thing you owned was the Piece of plastic it was on. If you owned it you could do anything you want with it. Make copies and put it online? perfectly legal if you owned the data. But you don't and you never have. The data belongs to the person who made it. You just get to use it. Hence the term license.

This is the first correct (and relevant) thing you've said. You're absolutely right, and that's exactly what I'm complaining about. We should have never started purchasing anything without having full ownership of the contents.

What I'm suggesting is that we be entitled to full ownership of both the physical media AND exactly one copy of the data it contains (plus one copy for backup as permitted by law). I'm also suggesting that we build a working used market for digital content (something some companies are already working on doing with iTunes) and make it illegal for companies to make that option unavailable or unviable to us as consumers.

Complete ownership of the data would give you the right to do whatever you want with it and that isn't going to happen but I think I know what you mean. I think you mean you should have the right to sell off you license to use the product to someone else. That I can understand and even agree with but the problem is how would you go about setting that up. How would you ensure that if someone sells there license to someone else that the seller doesn't somehow get to keep playing (as he would still in a sense have the data)

That's what they're struggling with in the case of iTunes. They can set it up to delete the song from your iTunes library, but how can they be sure you didn't make a backup copy? I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think it's necessary to preserve basic consumer rights as we move further into the digital age. Honestly, it's akin to how in the 80's we didn't know if someone made a copy of a movie they bought on VHS before selling it back, despite it being illegal to do so even back then; there just has to be a degree of trust there, and you can't infringe on the rights of the innocent just to fight those who would abuse the system.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#179kingofall214Posted 2/9/2013 11:19:53 AM(edited)
lxcainxl posted...
kingofall214 posted...

Bloody ouch! If you don't mind my saying so, $100 for exclusive, perpetual publication rights is . . . bonkers. I wouldn't be surprised to find them "recruiting" talent on Craigslist. :(

Well they are short comedy articles but yeah it is a rip off but that's just how publishing works. New comers get the shaft if whatever you write sells well. JK Rowling only received 1500 pounds (I think it's that little sign EU uses for $) for her 1st harry potter book because she was a new writer. Once you establish you got game so to speak though you can start talking royalties. Now she is (or was a while ago) the 2nd richest women in the world.

If Cracked.com likes you and you prove you got the skill they will hire you to be a full time writer.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#180ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 11:18:47 AM
murdochAV posted...
I love the idea if only because it would mean the death of Gamestop, which has such a horrible business model.

Not really. Gamestop would still be selling games lmao.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!