This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony vs MS and the blocking of used games.

#1kloud 11Posted 2/9/2013 10:04:28 AM
So, lets say one company decides to go through with this while another doesn't. What do you think the outcome will result in if this happens? Will the platform that adopts this generate such a backlash from consumers that it will fail? I personally don't see that happening, I believe that the platform that doesn't block used game sales will potentially put themselves in a very dangerous spot. I doubt the platform that blocks used games will generate such a backlash from the uneducated casual base that it will instantly fail. Once that platform has a decent install base I can see this ill effecting the other platform. Publishers will be more encouraged to have their games on the platform that blocks used games sales and we may see a turning tide in exclusivity of third party games. Opinions and thoughts?
#2steker16Posted 2/9/2013 10:06:17 AM
more topics on this are just what the internet needs
---
nomnomnom
#3goemon1977Posted 2/9/2013 10:09:55 AM
Well it's the game publishers that don't like used games, MS and Sony probably don't care either way. EA, Activision, Epic and many other big companies hate used games and have tried to give people incentive to buy new by the means of passes and exclusive content. I'm sure that they were all together on this one and asked for it to be implemented into the next gen or they wouldn't support the systems. This is something that has to be done together by Sony and MS.
---
Wii U ID goemon12677
#4este914Posted 2/9/2013 10:10:47 AM
discuss.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5kloud 11(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:13:05 AM
goemon1977 posted...
Well it's the game publishers that don't like used games, MS and Sony probably don't care either way. EA, Activision, Epic and many other big companies hate used games and have tried to give people incentive to buy new by the means of passes and exclusive content. I'm sure that they were all together on this one and asked for it to be implemented into the next gen or they wouldn't support the systems. This is something that has to be done together by Sony and MS.

I know this, this topic more of a hypothetical question if one didn't go this route while the other did.
#6ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 10:13:34 AM
kloud 11 posted...
So, lets say one company decides to go through with this while another doesn't. What do you think the outcome will result in if this happens? Will the platform that adopts this generate such a backlash from consumers that it will fail? I personally don't see that happening, I believe that the platform that doesn't block used game sales will potentially put themselves in a very dangerous spot. I doubt the platform that blocks used games will generate such a backlash from the uneducated casual base that it will instantly fail. Once that platform has a decent install base I can see this ill effecting the other platform. Publishers will be more encouraged to have their games on the platform that blocks used games sales and we may see a turning tide in exclusivity of third party games. Opinions and thoughts?

As long as games remain $60 as always we could see a severe backlash. One console would move to the other. Used games is really that important to gamers.
Think of this:
Game trade is used by Best Buy and GameStop. That how some people manage to afford a $60 games. Now with the ban, the game would be worth 0 once you put it in your system. You can not trade it back in or anything. So you are not buying a new game.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#7kloud 11(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:17:10 AM
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...

As long as games remain $60 as always we could see a severe backlash. One console would move to the other. Used games is really that important to gamers.
Think of this:
Game trade is used by Best Buy and GameStop. That how some people manage to afford a $60 games. Now with the ban, the game would be worth 0 once you put it in your system. You can not trade it back in or anything. So you are not buying a new game.

Yes, but how much money is generated in new vs used sales. Now consider that none of that used sales money goes to publishers. So even if a game sales 100 new copies and 1000 used, the 100 new copies is the only thing relevant to the companies that make said game. Seems like a sacrifice that wouldn't be to hard to make.
#8ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 10:19:07 AM
kloud 11 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...

Think of this:

Yes, but how much money is generated in new vs used sales. Now consider that none of that used sales money goes to publishers. So even if a game sales 100 new copies and 1000 used, the 100 new copies is the only thing relevant to the companies that make said game. Seems like a sacrifice that wouldn't be to hard to make.

^Wait. I'm kinda lost on what you're saying.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#9Godly_GoofPosted 2/9/2013 10:23:45 AM(edited)
If one console went full used blocking and another didnt it would most likely break the one that dids company.

People say that the 3rd party devs would flock to the used blocking one but thats completely illogical. People arent going to buy that system so their would be no reason to develop for it. Unless both did it it would be a catastrophically terrible idea, and even if both did I see a surge in Nintendo sales and a drop for everyone else anyway :/
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#10kloud 11(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:22:45 AM
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...

Think of this:

^Wait. I'm kinda lost on what you're saying.

I'm saying that those gamers that buy used don't really matter to publishers. They would rather have a base of 100 vs 1000 if it gives them more profit.