This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sony vs MS and the blocking of used games.

#11kloud 11(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:25:19 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
If one console went full used blocking and another didnt it would most likely break the one that dids company.

People say that the 3rd party devs would flock to the used one but thats completely illogical. People arent going to buy that system so their would be no reason to develop for it. Unless both did it it would be a catastrophically terrible idea, and even if both did I see a surge in Nintendo sales and a drop for everyone else anyway :/

I doubt the one that did wouldn't be able to generate an user base, especially if it's MS, considering how it's marketed.
#12ExtremeLightPosted 2/9/2013 10:25:51 AM
kloud 11 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...
ExtremeLight posted...
kloud 11 posted...
So, lets say one company decides to go through with this while another doesn't. What do you think the outcome will result in if this happens? Will the platform that adopts this generate such a backlash from consumers that it will fail? I personally don't see that happening, I believe that the platform that doesn't block used game sales will potentially put themselves in a very dangerous spot. I doubt the platform that blocks used games will generate such a backlash from the uneducated casual base that it will instantly fail. Once that platform has a decent install base I can see this ill effecting the other platform. Publishers will be more encouraged to have their games on the platform that blocks used games sales and we may see a turning tide in exclusivity of third party games. Opinions and thoughts?

As long as games remain $60 as always we could see a severe backlash. One console would move to the other. Used games is really that important to gamers.
Think of this:
Game trade is used by Best Buy and GameStop. That how some people manage to afford a $60 games. Now with the ban, the game would be worth 0 once you put it in your system. You can not trade it back in or anything. So you are not buying a new game.

Yes, but how much money is generated in new vs used sales. Now consider that none of that used sales money goes to publishers. So even if a game sales 100 new copies and 1000 used, the 100 new copies is the only thing relevant to the companies that make said game. Seems like a sacrifice that wouldn't be to hard to make.

^Wait. I'm kinda lost on what you're saying.

I'm saying that those gamers that buy used don't really matter to publishers. They would rather have a base of 100 vs 1000 if it gives them more profit.

But like if there was a used game ban, then like more people would be waiting on a price drop. So like that based of 1000 used is gone but like the base of 100 goes up exponentially over time hence the Publishers or Developers get more money as a result.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#13CooperRCPosted 2/9/2013 10:27:11 AM
Some developers may choose to make their game exclusive to the system that blocks used games.
#14goemon1977Posted 2/9/2013 10:27:31 AM
Marcus from GT just had a new rant about htis very subject, and he brought up the fact that they may just make you pay out the ass for buying a used game. For example putting in a used copy of Madden 2015 and the system says that it knows this is a used game, would you like to pay $10 to unlock it, then you have to buy the pass from EA, etc. So what is worse? Paying an extra $20 to be able to use a used game, or blocking them entirely, because if they tack on fees there will be no point to buy used.
---
Wii U ID goemon12677
#15kloud 11(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:28:03 AM
People will always wait for price drops, just as people will always buy at launch. Don't think this will change anything regarding that.
#16Godly_GoofPosted 2/9/2013 10:32:11 AM
kloud 11 posted...
Godly_Goof posted...
If one console went full used blocking and another didnt it would most likely break the one that dids company.

People say that the 3rd party devs would flock to the used one but thats completely illogical. People arent going to buy that system so their would be no reason to develop for it. Unless both did it it would be a catastrophically terrible idea, and even if both did I see a surge in Nintendo sales and a drop for everyone else anyway :/

I doubt the one that did wouldn't be able to generate an user base, especially if it's MS, considering how it's marketed.

In this day and age people are fickle enough that it would cause a pretty big backlash, especially with as many games going multi-plat as their are the only real selling point would be exclusives.

MS has ..... What Halo? And Kinect which is good for everything BUT gaming. PS has more exclusives but overall I dont see why they wouldnt jump ship if things got ugly since most big PS developers right now arent even owned by Sony
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#17RaggedcorpsePosted 2/9/2013 10:34:56 AM
I guess if you don't have a lot of money to blow I can see this being an issue but having only ever bought about 5 used games in the past 15 or so years I don't think this is a big issue at all.
---
PSN: Rokea
#18Godly_GoofPosted 2/9/2013 10:49:34 AM
Raggedcorpse posted...
I guess if you don't have a lot of money to blow I can see this being an issue but having only ever bought about 5 used games in the past 15 or so years I don't think this is a big issue at all.

It's more for the trade in thing than the buying of used games, I've only bought ...... like 1 used game this whole gen (tons of older ones though now that I have money for them >.>). But I know people rely on tradeins at places like Gamestop so they can keep affording to game.

If you arent super attached to your games like I am theirs really no reason to hold on to everything so they buy a new game, beat it in about a week or 2 and then trade it in for something new and that covers about $40 of the $60ish price tag, therefore letting people game on a tight budget.

I can see removing that causing quite a drop off in some peoples buying habits not to mention that person being very careful about what they buy rather than just trying this and that knowing that it costs them next to nothing and then can turn around and trade it in for something else again.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#19marvelite50Posted 2/9/2013 10:50:10 AM
kloud 11 posted...

Yes, but how much money is generated in new vs used sales. Now consider that none of that used sales money goes to publishers. So even if a game sales 100 new copies and 1000 used, the 100 new copies is the only thing relevant to the companies that make said game. Seems like a sacrifice that wouldn't be to hard to make.

It might not matter to the publishers of the games, but the companies that make and sell the consoles (sony, microsoft) will want the biggest user base possible, regardless of if they buy new or used.