This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My quick review of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

#1Dark World RulerPosted 2/9/2013 10:29:29 AM
I just beat Sly 4 and thought it was fantastic, for Sanzaru's first Sly and taking up the torch after Sucker Punch they really made Sly better than ever before. Here are a few things.

Gameplay and controls

- Level design is superb, some of the very best platforming segments I have seen in years
- Sly plays just as comfortably and fluid as he did in Sly 2/Sly 3, there is a slightly weighted feel added to him due to the deeper physics and it goes nicely with the platforming and climbing mechanics.
- Bentley, Murray, and Carmelita feel very developed this time around, from their missions to their gameplay styles
- Sly's ancestor's are great additions to the game, not all of them play likely Sly with new abilities but each ancestor that does has an ability that adds a new dimension to Sly's gameplay.
- Sly's new costumes having their own gameplay styles is one of the best things to happen in this game, not only do they change up Sly's play but they are surprisingly a blast to use.
- New upgradable moves with the returning upgrades make taking out enemies much more enjoyable and adds a lot of depth to the combat
- Bentley's hacking mini-games are a lot more fleshed out and impressive, but there is one controlled via motion controls (usually about 30 seconds long though) that was annoying.
- Missions offer lots of variety making the game never feel tedious like past Sly games, it's pacing is beautifully done
- Bosses being done in layered battles like the first Sly Cooper makes them some of the best in the series

Graphics

- The game looks sharp and crisp running in 60fps
- Nice lighting and graphical effects with cel-shaded visuals really bring the game and character models to life
- Levels are vibrant and detailed, the open world levels especially look great

Story

- I was very impressed with the story, quite a few twists and nice character development with the plot itself unfolding in a way that keeps you interested from start to finish.
- Le Paradox is a great villain along with his back-story
- The episodes each standout in their own ways due to the interesting bosses and Sly's ancestors were all nicely done
- Production values in this game are the highest level in the series, not only are there the classic animated scenes the games are known for but a lot of action-packed in-game scenes that add a lot to the game

Replay Value

- The game itself is quite lengthy, but there are a lot of collectibles like Clue Bottles and treasures that make the open worlds worth exploring
- There are a lot of unlockables, including a secret ending

Overall, I highly recommend getting the game and it's steal being only $40 for all it packs. It's also a great entry point into the Sly series, if you are a new player you'll be able to experience the game with hardly any problems with how well it explains previous events and introduces all the character all over again. Sly Cooper: Thieves in time was seriously worth the wait and the best yet in the franchise
---
I am the son and the heir,
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
#2nikowwfPosted 2/9/2013 10:30:30 AM
Mine. ITS AWESOME, and they give you a Vita copy and the Vita copy is good enough the cross save continue playing is fun. BUY IT AND YOU WILL LOVE IT.
#3true_gamer80Posted 2/9/2013 10:59:18 AM
but according to GF absurd standards...an average of 75 means its crap, I mean plenty and I mean plenty of other games get trashed for recieving the same scores or evenhigher....not a word so far regarding this with this game...odd isnt it.

Or is a 75 only "bad" when it comes to games that get trashed before playing them?
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#4Dark World Ruler(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:15:42 AM
true_gamer80 posted...
but according to GF absurd standards...an average of 75 means its crap, I mean plenty and I mean plenty of other games get trashed for recieving the same scores or evenhigher....not a word so far regarding this with this game...odd isnt it.

Or is a 75 only "bad" when it comes to games that get trashed before playing them?

A 3D platformer that isnt a shooter/action game in disguise and making it point to feel like a PS2 platformer getting a 75 average is a great accomplishment. Many reviewers like IGN, Gametrailers, etc. saw the brilliance in what Sly 4 successfully is, which is a great throwback to the PS2 days of gaming. Some reviewers actually penalized it for that, which is missing the entire purpose of the game.
---
I am the son and the heir,
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
#5spectermaster14Posted 2/9/2013 11:54:30 AM
I'd only played the first Sly before I picked this up, and the one thing I've noticed that's both awesome and a bit annoying is that the clue bottles are damn near impossible for me to find this time. They were a bit too easy in the first game, but damn. Still missing two in Rioichi's level.
#6true_gamer80Posted 2/9/2013 11:57:01 AM
Dark World Ruler posted...
true_gamer80 posted...

A 3D platformer that isnt a shooter/action game in disguise and making it point to feel like a PS2 platformer getting a 75 average is a great accomplishment. Many reviewers like IGN, Gametrailers, etc. saw the brilliance in what Sly 4 successfully is, which is a great throwback to the PS2 days of gaming. Some reviewers actually penalized it for that, which is missing the entire purpose of the game.

calm down im messing around, just pointing out the usaul GF double standards and nonstop contradictions with all the hate and negativitey. ts just funny any other day of the week with any other lesser known game and there would be topic after topic laughing and basing the game for getting a 75 but when its an exclusive or popular hyped game a 75 is a ok lol...its just funny and nothing I said was against the game itself

I personally think it deserves a higher average score but whatever
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#7Bancario51Posted 2/9/2013 12:02:21 PM
two words or less otherwise its not quick
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#8faris_ruhiPosted 2/9/2013 12:10:19 PM
You know, even though I put a videogame buying ban on myself till I complete my backlog, I just broke the ban to buy this game and show my support near its release (helps that the regular price is only $40 too).

Haven't even played through the first three Sly games. Have the HD collection, played quite a bit of Sly 1 (not finished) and loved it.

Had played Sly 2 back in the ps2 days loved it but couldn't finish it because a boss battle was too difficult back then for me.

Have not even touched Sly 3.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog in order of release, Current game: Saints Row (360)
#9SophisticationPosted 2/9/2013 12:55:08 PM(edited)
My short review: waste of 40 bucks. Horrible on all fronts as a ps3 game.. why? 'Cos it's not a ps3 game. It's a playable on ps3 vita game. Sly is dead and the sales prove it.

67, 000 sold so far... pathetic sales.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#10faris_ruhiPosted 2/9/2013 1:00:12 PM
Hmmm... ignored post in a Sly Cooper topic. Lemme guess, Sophie is at it again.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog in order of release, Current game: Saints Row (360)