This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So the Final Fantasy VI PSONE classic. Really that bad?

#21frater_davidPosted 2/10/2013 6:39:22 AM
atma6 posted...
The GBA version is the best version of the game. Unfortunately, all of the people who simply say to get it are a bit short sighted as GBA carts tend to be rare nowadays, and are usually not an option.

The PSN version of VI is the worst version of the game, keeping the bad first translation as well as having bugs. However, it isn't nearly as bad as Chrono Trigger for the PS1, which, in my opinion, is unplayable. If it is your only option, then go for it.

Yeah, so rare because both of my local game stores carry two copies of it for $10. Just because gamestop doesn't carry GBA games anymore doesn't mean they are rare.
#22SaQu1BPosted 2/10/2013 7:13:36 AM
I beat the entire PSN version FF6 ... The lag (screen delay) is very noticeable b/c there are so many random battles. I remembered being being on the Floating Continent and every few steps you walk there is a random battle AND a freaking delay each time it began. . not to mention each time you leave and enter a town or switch screens there is a delay.

I have no idea how they screwed it up so badly. How hard was it to port a SNES game I mean come on..Overall, I don't recommend this version.... go for either GBA or SNES.
#23atma6Posted 2/11/2013 3:39:30 PM
frater_david posted...
atma6 posted...
The GBA version is the best version of the game. Unfortunately, all of the people who simply say to get it are a bit short sighted as GBA carts tend to be rare nowadays, and are usually not an option.

The PSN version of VI is the worst version of the game, keeping the bad first translation as well as having bugs. However, it isn't nearly as bad as Chrono Trigger for the PS1, which, in my opinion, is unplayable. If it is your only option, then go for it.

Yeah, so rare because both of my local game stores carry two copies of it for $10. Just because gamestop doesn't carry GBA games anymore doesn't mean they are rare.

Yes, because there are two local game stores near you that carry them means that they must be plentiful everywhere. If a local store near me was selling Earthbound, Lufia 2, or Xenoblade Chronicles, it wouldn't make those games any less rare.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#24Stanger5150Posted 2/11/2013 3:48:38 PM
No, it's not bad at all. The loading times are seriously exaggerated, especially when compared to Chrono Trigger.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#25Stanger5150Posted 2/11/2013 3:50:10 PM
dueric posted...
Alltra posted...
It's not THAT bad, but there is an annoying delay any time you change screens, open a menu, or begin a battle. There's also some audio glitches and slowdown present. It's not game breaking, but it's noticeable. Your tolerance for those issues will determine how "Bad" it is.

Considering I've never played it, and it's only $5, would you recommend it?

Keep in mind that I feel FFVII and FFT are fine. Is it worse than those?

Yes. Buy it! You won't find any version of Final Fantasy VI for that price ever again!
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#26Nikko_Night7Posted 2/11/2013 3:53:52 PM
dueric posted...
Alltra posted...
Even Chrono Trigger really isn't that bad honestly. It's worse than FFVI, and MUCH worse than the Original and DS Versions, but it's still tolerable.

...and I'd say yes, it's worth it. I just wouldn't recommend this version over other versions that don't have these issues.

Yeah. If I had a Wii I'd go that route. Unfortunately, PSN is my only choice.

Eh, I'm gunna chance it. Worst case scenario, I waste another $5 on a crappy downloadable game. Won't be the first time and certainly won't be the last. LOL

I was in the same boat with FFV and VI. I bought 7, 8, and 9 from the sale and decided to just emulate the earlier installments cause i'm a terrible person. For 5 bucks thought its worth it. There are far worse things to spend your money on...like Sanctum of Slime...it only cost me a dollar, but even that was a rip off. In hind sight, i probably woulda had more fun lighting that dollar on fire.
#27nouseravailablePosted 2/11/2013 3:58:41 PM(edited)
Alltra posted...
Final Fantasy VI is one of the best in the series, and at least in my opinion, the little flaws that the PSOne version have aren't bad enough to completely ruin that fact.

That is the 10th time i quote alltra >_> but yeah. Also note that some extras are kinda cool. Its worth more then $5...

656stooge posted...
Sorry to steal the topic for a bit TC, but how does the GBA version compare graphically? I've been buying up a bunch of handheld games lately, so I might keep an eye out for it. Playing Chrono Trigger on DS at the moment and loving it, so if it's as good as that then I'll be happy.

I loved ct remake... also, how is the music on the gba? Is it as good as the psone if i use headphones?
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D, Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#28LvthnPosted 2/11/2013 3:56:19 PM
The loading is mostly noticable if you played the SNES (or GBA) version, in which case it will grate on your nerves something fierce. If you've never played it and can't get it via Wii VC, then yeah go for the PSX port just because it's a worthy game regardless.
#29Xenesis XenonPosted 2/11/2013 4:43:38 PM
Graphically, the GBA version is probably the best...if just for the variable width font they've used. Beyond that they're all pretty identical

Unfortunately, the audio in the GBA version is a travesty.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#30KoroshiyaZeroPosted 2/11/2013 5:02:10 PM
It's not that bad. Neither is Chrono Trigger for everybody crying about that one too. I beat both on SNES and have beaten both PS1 classics within the last year, the load times are a little big longer but far from unplayable. You get used to them pretty quickly unless you have severe ADD or ADHD.