This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please read and vote (an idea I had; Disc Free PS4)

#1Grizzle1981Posted 2/9/2013 6:05:28 PM
Are you interested in a disc free system? - Results (19 votes)
Yes
36.84% (7 votes)
No
63.16% (12 votes)
This poll is now closed.
When thinking of the future of gaming and Playstation, I had this thought. How would you feel about the Playstation going "disc free". To elaborate, what if you purchased a game at a store and instead of a game case, they handed you a card (similar to a $20 Playstation for the PSstore). This card would contain a code that you would take home and redeem on your system. This would then add to your User Name/Account a record that you "own" this game. Now you would download the game and play it like any other game currently purchased from the store.

The pro's and con's of the situation as I see it:

Pro's
1. every game you buy would be a "new" copy and include whatever DLC come with it (i.e.- catwoman like in Batman: Arkham City)
2. no more scratched disks
3. no more "hard drive space" issues because you could simply delete what you don't play and redownload it at any time (my plan has unlimited downloads of "owned" games but can only be played by the account that purchased it)
4. every game you buy, you own forever (no more saying that I miss a game that I traded in or got scratched)

Con's
1. completely kills the used game market
2. game prices will likely be higher for older games than what Gamestop charges (no more $9 games as they would likely be $20 at the lowest)
3. wanting to play a game would require advanced notice so that you have time to reinstall it
4. a poor internet connection would be devastating

Would you be interested?

I'm just curious what the people would think. I wouldn't mind it but I'm not always in the popular opinion.
---
This post is 100% opinion unless stated otherwise.
#2AlltraPosted 2/9/2013 6:08:51 PM(edited)
I want the option to have Physical Media or a Digital Download, so I would be against the idea of a Digital only system.

Both formats have offsetting pros and cons.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#3ShinXaguraPosted 2/9/2013 6:10:55 PM
No because, I hate dependent on the internet to get games.
---
My life is Disgaea.