This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I dont understand why people are against buying used

#21TomorrowDogPosted 2/9/2013 10:54:24 PM
Consumer rights are important but I feel some people basically have the self-ish viewpoint where anything that doesn't directly benefit them (the consumer) is inherently evil. Some of these conversations you can't even entertain the idea of rationalizing companies fighting against the used game market without being accused of being a corporate tool.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#22Thermador446Posted 2/9/2013 11:16:43 PM
Ninja4H posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
crazyman32 posted...
I buy games new so,I don't really care about used games anyway.

Then why are you even saying anything?

Blocking used games is only going to decrease sales in the long run. The people who buy just sports titles and trade in their older games will buy less games. Gamers who don't buy games at full price will just wait for sales or wait for the games to go down to $20. Games that go out of print will become unplayable for anyone who waited. Younger gamers who's parents rely on renting or buying used to save money will be gaming less.

Most of the people who are for the banning of used games can't see the whole picture. They see their side of the situation or only look at the company's side.

And renting/gifting games to friends? I'll usually pass off games to my friends when i'm done with them, or if I buy another version ie. GoTY editions. Kinda sucks if we can't do something as simple as that.

That's actually the most convincing argument I personally have seen.

I'd rather give games to friends than get a couple bucks for them at gamestop.
I don't see myself shelling out the cash for a GOTY on a game I already own if I'm forced to be stuck with a completely useless original.
---
"While you are wasting your time castrating a priceless antique, I have been systematically feeding babies to hungry mutated puppies!"
#23NightTerrorX99Posted 2/9/2013 11:20:47 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
Here game company. Take away my rights. It's important that I get less choices and variety.

I mean if you have a choice of having something and not having something, what's the logical solution?

I would actually prefer to not have AIDS, sir.
---
Pokemon White FC: 3998 2670 7555
#24wstfldPosted 2/9/2013 11:22:05 PM
I mean if you have a choice of having something and not having something, what's the logical solution?

This is GF, where adding mutliplayer where there previously was none brings on a tsunami of nerd rage.
---
Last Played: DmC (8.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD, StarCraft 2
#25Stanger5150Posted 2/9/2013 11:42:25 PM(edited)
LeadPipeCinche posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
crazyman32 posted...

Blocking used games is only going to decrease sales in the long run. The people who buy just sports titles and trade in their older games will buy less games. Gamers who don't buy games at full price will just wait for sales or wait for the games to go down to $20. Games that go out of print will become unplayable for anyone who waited. Younger gamers who's parents rely on renting or buying used to save money will be gaming less.

Most of the people who are for the banning of used games can't see the whole picture. They see their side of the situation or only look at the company's side.

blocking used games DOES NOT decrease sales.
the only people making money off used game sales is the store selling the used game.
the first sale (the "new" game sale) is what counts towards the games sale total for that game and that "first sale" was made when the distribution center sent X amount of copies to said store for such and such amount.

WM buys 70 copies of say uncharted 3 for $20 each from the NDDC.
WM sends them a check for $1400 for the 70 copies.
WM then puts the game on the shelf for $60 ($4200).
ND then gets a part of that money as well.

YOU then trade your copy in to GSTOP for $10.
someone else buys it from GSTOP for $50.
the sale counts but not like the first sale and the only one makin any money on that sale is gstop.

Wrong. GS buys the games... That's the only transaction made between retailer and publisher. No extra money is sent to the publisher for new game sales.

Also, ND is paid by Sony well before the game launches. All money from GameStop's purchase goes to Sony, not Naughty Dog.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#26brycemorrPosted 2/9/2013 11:47:10 PM
Ninja4H posted...
BurgerTime79 posted...
crazyman32 posted...

And renting/gifting games to friends? I'll usually pass off games to my friends when i'm done with them, or if I buy another version ie. GoTY editions. Kinda sucks if we can't do something as simple as that.

Well If you want to rent a game from lets say Gamefly or your local movie rental place there will be rental versions of that game like when you get a dvd from netflix or your local movie rental place.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#27gilv3rPosted 2/9/2013 11:54:45 PM
I just dont think gamestop should get be getting the money that should be going to the developer. I hope used games are banned on all systems. If you want the game cheaper then get some patience ans wait for a price drop, you dont need every game day 1.
---
Awaiting: PoE OB, Metal Gear Rising, and Last of Us
#28Stanger5150Posted 2/10/2013 12:00:40 AM
gilv3r posted...
I just dont think gamestop should get be getting the money that should be going to the developer. I hope used games are banned on all systems. If you want the game cheaper then get some patience ans wait for a price drop, you dont need every game day 1.

I f****** give up.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#29Power TurtlePosted 2/10/2013 12:03:35 AM(edited)
Give the developers your money for their effort in making this game you want?

or

Give gamestop / other retailers your money because your a cheap ass suckah?

I support the developers, i support gaming. i do not support a corporation paying other gamers dirt for a trade in, then reselling that trade in for far more than they paid out for it.
#30Jinzo 111887Posted 2/10/2013 12:18:46 AM(edited)
As mentioned, they risk alienating people if they block used games. There are those who refuse to buy such a console if it blocks used games. Then there's also lawsuits that can come from trying to stop used products.

European lawsuit: http://www.gamespot.com/news/german-group-sues-valve-6403307
American Lawsuit: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111117/03284416803/court-tells-omega-copyright-is-not-sword-rejects-attempt-to-control-grey-market-as-copyright-misuse.shtml

Doubt they would want to lawsuits eating into their profits. Also, TOS don't mean much in court. A matter of fact, they have to go by what the court says. (Which is why many TOS say they can be changed to keep the rest in tact if part of it is not legally binding.)
---
"Michael Vick was arrested for getting in an assault plane and shooting down other planes?" - L0Z