This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I dont understand why people are against buying used

#41DoctorCrabMDPosted 2/10/2013 12:17:59 AM
Well one guy here against being used is a Nazi-sympathizer in favor of genocide.....so....not sure if some people here are mentally stable.
#42nedrithPosted 2/10/2013 12:23:04 AM
Ethically I paid for the game and therefore it is my right to use it however I want. It is the publishers right to charge whatever they want. If they decide that they aren't making enough money they can charge $70-$80. I would be perfectly fine with this.

However I bought the rights to use that copy and I should have full rights to that copy, including giving up my rights to that copy and transferring it to another person. It's not like piracy where multiple people are using that same copy. It is the reason why we have things like the doctrine of first sale as part of our law.
#43gangster4lifeyoPosted 2/10/2013 12:34:48 AM
I really don't understand how these conversations drag on and on. This whole used game argument is one of the biggest non-issues I've ever seen. Buying a used game is 100% ethical and as of right now is 100% legal. It's the exact same thing with various other industries.

Stop trying to be obtuse about the issue.
#44king_maddenPosted 2/10/2013 7:25:31 AM
gangster4lifeyo posted...
I really don't understand how these conversations drag on and on. This whole used game argument is one of the biggest non-issues I've ever seen. Buying a used game is 100% ethical and as of right now is 100% legal. It's the exact same thing with various other industries.

Stop trying to be obtuse about the issue.

depends on your ethics, if you feel people should be supported for their work your ethical view would be different. as for whether its legal, there are numerous things that are legal/illegal that dont make a lot of sense. also the gaming inndustry isnt exactly the same as other industries so it fails to try to compare it to others. only the most simple people can say well they both say used so its the same, no, they all have many different variables.
#45Jinzo 111887Posted 2/10/2013 7:36:02 AM(edited)
Comparable to piracy, no money to devs.

inb4 annoying analogy, how x poster buys x used, and somehow not ruin the industry of that item either/brand.

Follow the chain. It does contain the new game buyer's chain, even if it is longer.

NGB Chain
New Game Buyer -> Retailer -> Publisher -> Developer

UGB Chain
Used Game Buyer cycles ->NGB Chain

In both cases, they don't get our money directly, but they did get paid and the person who has the game now paid for it if they didn't get it as a gift from someone else who did. This is one difference between used games and piracy.
---
Secure... Contain... Protect... Containment Breach?
http://www.scpcbgame.com/
#46dj___rollPosted 2/10/2013 8:47:30 AM
Quote:Solis posted...
Winternova posted...
Solis posted...
Fayceless posted...
The "ethics" argument against used games is hilarious!

How so? It's essentially the same concept as the ethics argument against piracy, and that obviously isn't universally condoned.

Used games are perfectly legal. Piracy is illegal. The law is the codification of the ethics of society. It's ridiculous to conflate a legal activity with an illegal activity, especially one that can result in felony charges.

Laws =/= ethics.

It's as close to an objective ethical standard as you will get. If you rule out the law as an ethical standard, then everything is subjective and each individual person can define what is ethical and what is not.

@Winternova
Well duh. One single person can institute the drive to change a law. Laws change all the time. People can define what is ethical and what is not. And that's with your assumption that ethics is based off law which is wrong. Ethics is an entirely separate entity. What is ethically wrong to one person is not necessarily so for others. Dr Kavorkian changed people's ethical views of assisted suicide for the terminally ill.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#47harcoreblazerPosted 2/10/2013 8:57:11 AM
You know, the old support the publisher/developer argument.
---
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't
#48Golden MavenPosted 2/10/2013 9:28:36 AM
guineathewop posted...
Hahaha.

The laughter of a child... Thank you for that gift.
#49WinternovaPosted 2/10/2013 10:58:17 AM
Solis posted...
Winternova posted...
It's as close to an objective ethical standard as you will get. If you rule out the law as an ethical standard, then everything is subjective and each individual person can define what is ethical and what is not.

Laws can't be objective when they vary from country to country, state to state, and even from town to town. Of course it's subjective, because the laws themselves are only instated by a select few and only in rare cases is it actually based on what a majority of a society's individuals desire.

Laws are restrictions imposed by a ruling class, nothing more.

And ethics vary from person to person...so laws are still a better standard than "ethics".
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#50SuperShadowAcePosted 2/10/2013 10:59:55 AM
crazyman32 posted...
I buy games new so,I don't really care about used games anyway.

It prevents you from loading a game to friends.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.