This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I only see one purpose for Used games...

#1SophisticationPosted 2/9/2013 11:12:08 PM
For when certain developers/publishers release games you are hesitant on buying or know they're not worth full price.

Insomniac for instance, they release a game... Nobody wants to buy it and the few that do buy it usually trade it in rather quickly -- This would allow people to stop gettin' butt burned at the register so much on high priced games...

Imagine a world where, If at the factory, they left the cellophane wrapper off the games, spun it inside a Ps3 once or twice and then shipped it to the stores... They're not new anymore -- They've been played and they certainly have no cellophane wrapper on it to back that claim up, maybe even keep the instruction booklet to further lock in the fact that they, Insomniac, no longer makes new games... but used games.

I think Used games, in this instance, would be acceptable... But certainly not for big time releases from big time developers. Me, personally, I only buy digital games these days but certainly wouldn't mind seeing some of these companies price their games accordingly -- Face it, 95% of all games released to retail come with a 60 dollar price tag and that ain't right because you know as well as I do and they do that certain games aren't worth that asking price.

Please feel free to discuss how you feel about this strategy... And shower me with adoration while you do it.
---
As a true sophistocrat I am the best at what I do--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#2DocDeliciousPosted 2/9/2013 11:24:00 PM
There is absolutely no need for used games.

It helps no one but those f****** retail stores no one goes to anymore, and who f*** people over when they do. It drives up the price of new releases because publishers/developers know they're only going to see a fraction of their game's sales.
---
Disgaea 4, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, The Cave, Need For Speed: MW 2012, DmC: Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#3Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:37:57 PM
DocDelicious posted...

It helps no one but those f****** retail stores no one goes to anymore, and who f*** people over when they do. It drives up the price of new releases because publishers/developers know they're only going to see a fraction of their game's sales.

You don't think that Insomniac should ship their games used, you know, to cut down on cost to the consumer? We know a lot of games aren't worth the 60 bucks these developers, not just Insomniac, ask for -- People are still getting butt burned on bad games at the register and that needs to stop. It's almost criminal what Insomniac and other developers/publishers like them try to pull off at the register on consumers.
---
As a true sophistocrat I am the best at what I do--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
#4DocDeliciousPosted 2/9/2013 11:50:04 PM
That I'll definitely agree with you on. Most developers aren't aware of the actual value of their games.
But, then, that's why people research before they buy them and wait for an appropriate price drop. Well, obviously some people don't...but they certainly should before they go winging their money around willy nilly.

As a side-note: gods help Insomniac when they release Fuse. That game is going to flop, hard. It looks worse than Resistance in every way. Didn't think it was even possible. It's a shame really. They should have just stuck with Spyro.
---
Disgaea 4, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, The Cave, Need For Speed: MW 2012, DmC: Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter FU
#5PhoenixPrincePosted 2/9/2013 11:53:25 PM
DocDelicious posted...

So, if you happen to buy a game you hate, you'd rather have a $30 coaster than have the ability to sell it again to recover at least a little bit of your money to put towards a decent game?
---
I tell it how I see it. Controversial and I don't care.
#6GunzleaderPosted 2/10/2013 12:13:00 AM
DocDelicious posted...

yea but people with familys work at em. so you don't care if they lose a job? you don't deserve ***** either and go to ****** hell.
---
im not a troll sorry if i offend you in anyway. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#7DocDeliciousPosted 2/10/2013 12:48:01 AM
PhoenixPrince posted...
So, if you happen to buy a game you hate, you'd rather have a $30 coaster than have the ability to sell it again to recover at least a little bit of your money to put towards a decent game?

Yes.
I keep every game I buy.

Gunzleader posted...
yea but people with familys work at em. so you don't care if they lose a job? you don't deserve ***** either and go to ****** hell.

I understand it's super difficult to get any other retail job at any other retail outlet in the world, but gaming shops, specifically, are hurting the industry with used sales. They'll still make money selling new, but they won't get to bleed developers, and customers, dry anymore reselling used games.
---
#8majicray2112Posted 2/10/2013 3:07:50 AM
I love used games. It pretty much is all I ever buy. And-"no one goes to retail stores anymore"? I don't know where you live but in my area we have an excellent retail store in a flea market that not only sells tons of used games but also gives us a break on new games. They sell em for 54 instead of 59. Used games give us a chance to try a game, if you don't like it, play it a while and sell it back. Plus they sell used consoles and other hardware for gaming. If the PS3/360 makers go to new games only consoles, they will lose a lot of gamers.
#9ViceGagaPosted 2/10/2013 3:58:10 AM
Every single game you have ever played in your life has been used...
#10Sophistication(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 4:06:56 AM(edited)
ViceGaga posted...
Every single game you have ever played in your life has been used...

How so? I buy all my games digitally these days... it ensures I am the 1st to boot it up. There might be testers for the code, but odds are they don't olay my copy when they do it.
---