This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I only see one purpose for Used games...

#21DocDeliciousPosted 2/10/2013 4:03:56 AM
majin nemesis posted...
i wonder how much money do car makers lose when people buy used cars

Probably quite a bit as opposed to forcing people to buy new, or not at all.
Think of all the used car sales that happen in a year.
Take 3/4 of them and pretend like they never happened. These are the people that wouldn't/couldn't buy new even if their only other option was not owning a car.
Now take that remaining 1/4 and pretend they all decide that paying extra for a new car is better than not having a car at all.

"X" car company just made more money than they would have if people were buying used and lost absolutely nothing.

Now apply that to video games.
---
Disgaea 4, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, The Cave, Need For Speed: MW 2012, DmC: Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter FU
PSN: DocDelicious
#22killakPosted 2/10/2013 4:08:22 AM
Here we go again, used games don't hurt a goddamned thing, every copy of every game is paid for before it's even put on the shelves, and by law, publishers are only entitled to the first purchase, nothing after that.

While I do largely agree with this logic, there's a reason certain devs get rich, and others don't, when technically they should all be rolling it, since their salaries have been paid already.
---
My Setup - http://tinyurl.com/b6k98sp
#23mjc0961Posted 2/10/2013 4:42:18 AM
DocDelicious posted...
There is absolutely no need for used games.

It helps no one but those f****** retail stores no one goes to anymore, and who f*** people over when they do. It drives up the price of new releases because publishers/developers know they're only going to see a fraction of their game's sales.

No used games is going to cut their sales even further. I know I'm not going to buy a lot of games I previously would have taken a chance on if I can't sell it online to get most of my money back if it turns out that the game sucks.

You anti-used game buffoons always only think about people buying used games and never consider what will happen when people lose the ability to sell games.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#24mjc0961Posted 2/10/2013 4:45:16 AM
DocDelicious posted...
majin nemesis posted...
i wonder how much money do car makers lose when people buy used cars

Probably quite a bit as opposed to forcing people to buy new, or not at all.
Think of all the used car sales that happen in a year.
Take 3/4 of them and pretend like they never happened. These are the people that wouldn't/couldn't buy new even if their only other option was not owning a car.
Now take that remaining 1/4 and pretend they all decide that paying extra for a new car is better than not having a car at all.

"X" car company just made more money than they would have if people were buying used and lost absolutely nothing.

Now apply that to video games.

Oh look, another horrible car comparison. And this one isn't even right because you completely forgot about how the car manufacturers would be losing out on s***loads of people getting their used cars serviced and even car repair shops that aren't dealerships buying parts from the manufacturers so they can repair used cars people bring in.

Seriously, just stop comparing video games to cars, it never works (especially when you don't even understand the automobile industry).
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#25killakPosted 2/10/2013 4:47:07 AM
Oh look, another horrible car comparison. And this one isn't even right because you completely forgot about how the car manufacturers would be losing out on s***loads of people getting their used cars serviced and even car repair shops that aren't dealerships buying parts from the manufacturers so they can repair used cars people bring in.

Seriously, just stop comparing video games to cars, it never works (especially when you don't even understand the automobile industry).

We need to quash used cars, restaurants and house analogies, so people can once again reclaim a valid thought.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#26Revival125Posted 2/10/2013 4:52:56 AM
Used does NOT hurt ANY industry, books, cars, furniture, electronics, art, games, musical instruments etc etc ETC. Having the ability to sell back your item is only a good thing. I find it sick that there are actually some game consumers on here that want us all to have less choice. Where was all the crying about used games during the sega era, the snes, the ps1, ps2? Why is it only now??? Oh wait because this is the age of "bleeding us all dry with DLC".
#27Revival125Posted 2/10/2013 4:57:13 AM
Btw there is also a question of morality. Used games existing costs developers 0 jobs. What do you think the blocking of used games would do WORLDWIDE to all the retailers? Can you even imagine the devastation it would cause for hundreds of thousands of people who work in either physical or online rental places?

Btw on the subject of rental places.the movie industry has allowed you to rent movies for decades. Guess what,they actively SUPPORT that practise.
#28majin nemesisPosted 2/10/2013 5:09:15 AM(edited)
DocDelicious posted...
majin nemesis posted...
if people don't buy consoles they obviously not going to buy games for them and the PCs must really be making a lot of money compared to consoles please

People who buy used games not buying their consoles doesn't effect them. They lose money on those consumers because, in order for them to break even on that console sale the buyer must purchase a certain number of new games. They lose absolutely nothing by cutting the used market out of the picture.
Is it that hard to understand?

Please tell me that last part is a joke? PC gaming is making more money now than it ever has (particularly Valve).

why would people buy games if they don't have the console to play them? if PS4 blocks used games people aren't going to buy a PS4 and in turn they aren't going to buy any PS4 game used or not

PC's are making money? with what games?
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#29Johnny BlaquePosted 2/10/2013 5:13:50 AM
Honestly, I'm for used games but some of these people to want to trade a brand new game back after they beat it in a few days are the dumbest people imaginable. Do they not know of rentals? "I'm gonna pay 60 bucks for a game and then take it back and get 15 bucks! Woo hoo! I cheated the system!" Even selling them online can still result in at least 10 dollars lost. That is enough to rent a game for 2 weeks! Or aleast enough for a gamefly account.
#30JohnHitman47Posted 2/10/2013 5:31:08 AM
I only buy used from capcom and sucker punch. i buy used when i feel that the game its not worth 60$ or has on-disk dlc.
---
Love good shooters and horror.