This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I can't believe I ever bothered playing games before Trophies/Achievements

#11gamebuyer22Posted 2/10/2013 1:43:29 AM(edited)
Back in the day i played through resident evil 2 six times for A ranking and unlocked the Tofu minigame
#12PringerXPosted 2/12/2013 5:16:41 AM
Before trophies I just played the game to beat it and that was it. I saw no reason to do things like side quests, mini games, or collect collectibles. Trophies let me see all my games in list form on one screen and see an exact % of how much I completed in each game. I wish a system like this was available in the old days and I also wish Nintendo would implement a similar system as well on the 3DS.

Me too. I always wish I could look back and see what I did as a child and when.
---
http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/GameOverComesAll
http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/GameOverComesAll
#13AlltraPosted 2/12/2013 5:25:52 AM(edited)
Trophies didn't add anything. Games have had little extras and objectives like this long before now, the only difference is you get a shiny little icon now whenever you accomplish one of them, whereas before you'd just go out and do it because it was fun. Either that, or you'd have something like in Uncharted where it would unlock cheats and other special content that you could play around with, although that's a fairly rare occurrence these days, as they tend to make that stuff into DLC.

It really doesn't matter if games have trophies or not, I personally would still go out and accomplish all the tasks that most trophies require just through normal game play having fun and exploring the game's content.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#14Juvart24Posted 2/12/2013 5:26:43 AM
I don't think I ever once looked at how many trophy's I have, and only reason I look at how many achievements I have is cause its kinda hard not to see it when you log in on 360.
---
"A true hero turns into a werewolf, kills a village full of idiots, then pimps their women out for profit to buy new armor" - Exar0s
GT: Juvart24
#15MechaNapoleonPosted 2/12/2013 5:27:21 AM
I have more of the opposite feeling... I would play games repeatedly through for no good reason, but with achievements and after you 100% them, its like telling you you've done everything and never need to play again. More of a will of mind kinda thing for sure and not the system's fault, and I circumvent it by just not caring about trophies at all (unless they actually have in game rewards), but thats how I see them if I tried to care about them.
#16Anodyne11Posted 2/12/2013 5:29:34 AM
Because they were fun. I like aiming for trophies but they're certainly not the reason why I play video games.
---
Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG this gen!
Official Ultimecia of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim boards
#17AstroshakPosted 2/12/2013 6:28:26 AM
mmpepsi posted...
Seriously. What was the point?

Trophies add replay value and let you compare with friends.

The point of playing a game has not changed - the fun obtained from spending time playing the game.

To trophy hunters, they add replay value. To most people, they add nothing at all to the game. I would point out that if the trophy, and not enjoyment of the game, is the only reason anyone goes through a game a second time, then that person should find another, more entertaining game to go through.

I always found that talking about a game was more fun than simply referring to a list that said "I did this". Sure, it is faster to simply point to a list and let the other person read what trophies you've gotten .. but it is a lot more entertaining talking about things done, and then possibly having to demonstrate doing it as proof. I conclude that trophies therefore detract from the overall fun-factor a game can provide, for everyone but those trophy hunters.
#18You_Need_A_LifePosted 2/12/2013 6:46:57 AM
mmpepsi posted...
Seriously. What was the point? Trophies add replay value and let you compare with friends.

Trophies fake replay value by having you do mundane things without actually adding in new content. Y'know what games did for replay value BEFORE Trophies? They had in-game challenges that gave you in-game bonuses, collectibles, secrets, upgrades, new levels, etc.

Trophies are just another means of cutting content from games so they can rushed to store shelves faster to save a buck on production & development cost. Only shallow people find them important...no offense.
#19majin nemesisPosted 2/12/2013 6:54:34 AM
mmpepsi posted...
Seriously. What was the point?

Trophies add replay value and let you compare with friends.

http://battlenations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/implied-facepalm1.jpg
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage
#20most_games_r_okPosted 2/12/2013 7:45:02 AM
I admit they do add replay value, but if you're a trophy hunter some of those things just aren't fun to do *glares at Star Ocean*.
---
I do because I can.....and because I'm bored.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Micer101.png