This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Obsidian pitching new Star Wars game. My idea (and a couple questions)...

#1furrybeaversPosted 2/10/2013 6:42:25 AM
Obsidian is pitching a new RPG that takes place between episodes III and IV. Although I love the idea, this period has already been explored (The Force Unleashed).

My idea: the first game in the Star Wars canon AFTER EPISODE VI! I don't think it's been done before, and I would love to see characters written about in the expanded universe actually take form.

And my question: Has there ever been, in the Star Wars canon, a person who trained themselves to become a Jedi/Sith/force adept without any outside help? Like someone who stumbled upon a random force power one day while walking to their kitchen, got freaked out, learned about the Jedi and Sith, but never told anyone? Trained themselves in the various aspects of the force.

I think that would be a pretty cool idea. Anyway, thoughts?

Cheers!
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, PSP games (not Persona; I refuse), Dust 514, watching The Shield; among other things
Care less, have power
#2jammiesPosted 2/10/2013 6:44:53 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3BizzaroMurphyPosted 2/10/2013 6:48:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 6:57:16 AM
Well it will obviously have an updated engine and gameplay mechanics, but the first 2 really weren't broken, so I wouldn't change a lot.

Any thoughts or knowledge on my idea, if it's ever been told in the canon before?
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, PSP games (not Persona; I refuse), Dust 514, watching The Shield; among other things
Care less, have power
#5BizzaroMurphyPosted 2/10/2013 7:00:30 AM(edited)
I don't know if it's canon, but I believe Kyle Katarn taught himself a lot at first.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I believe that he was taught by a force ghost of someone.
---
Hooch is crazy.
#6kupo1705Posted 2/10/2013 7:03:57 AM
The only SW canon are the 6 movies. Everything else that's considered canon is part of the expanded universe.

Jedi is a title, so even if you managed to train yourself in the force (which is impossible as far as I know), you still can't become one.
As for Sith, I think anyone can become one. You don't even need to be proficient with the force, you just need to be force sensitive.
#7furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 7:08:05 AM
He is the player character of Jedi Outcast, correct?
---
Care less, have power
#8BizzaroMurphyPosted 2/10/2013 7:10:31 AM
furrybeavers posted...

Yes. He's the player character in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, but not Jedi Academy.
---
Hooch is crazy.
#9furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 7:12:33 AM
kupo1705 posted...
The only SW canon are the 6 movies. Everything else that's considered canon is part of the expanded universe.

Jedi is a title, so even if you managed to train yourself in the force (which is impossible as far as I know), you still can't become one.
As for Sith, I think anyone can become one. You don't even need to be proficient with the force, you just need to be force sensitive.

I meant within the expanded universe. Sorry for not clarifying. But that's why I added the "force adept". So not necessarily a Jedi or Sith, but they know how to utilize the force.

A game without the galaxy about to be destroyed. More of a personal journey. Hence the character who kinda trains himself for his own reasons, and uses his power for his own agendas.
---
Care less, have power
#10furrybeavers(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 7:15:58 AM
BizzaroMurphy posted...
furrybeavers posted...

Yes. He's the player character in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, but not Jedi Academy.

I never had the pleasure of playing any of them, just read random things about them (maybe a review once). Any copies available for any consoles, or were they all PC titles?

Either way, I'm sure they aren't very demanding, hardware wise, so even my laptop should run them if I decide try and pick them up.
---
Care less, have power