This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just started playing Chrono Cross...... WOW!

#41nouseravailablePosted 2/11/2013 8:52:42 AM
xyxrxuxafraidx posted...
Man... what happened to Square Enix/Squaresoft?

They used to come out with the most amazing games during the PS1 era... now they are garbage. I wish all the PS1 games came out this gen instead... those games are much more memorable than stuff we have now

The Wolrd ends with You is pretty good... i cant say the same about the rest. Bravely Default is suposed to be great too. But yeah, things are different now, its just too bad. If you liked Chrono Cross, you can always get Radiant Historia, another beautiful rpg.
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D, Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#42CloakedNubPosted 2/11/2013 9:03:08 AM
Zerobahn posted...
Lots of people didn't like the way the story flowed and hate the fact that a lot of the cast weren't developed even though the few who are characterized are more in number and done better than any of the cast of CT.

Personally I prefer Cross a hell of a lot more than Trigger (which was pretty damn good in it's own right).

lolwaitwut
#43kupo1705Posted 2/11/2013 9:04:11 AM
I hated the gameplay, and from what I read about it later I'm glad I never continued.
#44docholliday504Posted 2/11/2013 9:08:26 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I didn't really like CC as much as I thought I would (While trigger is one of my favorite games of all time).

The gameplay and the graphics were outstanding and I was tittering with excitement anytime they made a reference to Trigger...but I felt the number of characters in the game really diluted the story to the point where it seemed boring and unfocused. Conceptually, it was brilliant and the "alternate universe" theme hasn't been done as well since Cross but with 90% of the characters barely getting a look, you're basically left with Serge and Kid as the center of the story (and Serge is a SP).

I don't know, I thought ChronoTrigger had one of the most compelling stories ever told in an interactive medium. There wasn't a character in Trigger who didn't have a fully developed and distinct personality and story arc. Cross just left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

I had the same issue with Suikoden 1-2 (Never played any of the others) and I don't like the pokemon games. I think I might just not be into these "catch em all" games.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Halo 4, Persona 3
#45thisranksPosted 2/11/2013 9:14:01 AM
xyxrxuxafraidx posted...

They used to come out with the most amazing games during the PS1 era... now they are garbage. I wish all the PS1 games came out this gen instead... those games are much more memorable than stuff we have now

They recognised change was a necessity to moving forward. They aren't fooling themselves like you are. Proof? Almost every game they have created that is a series game or a direct sequel has had changes to some fundamental part of the game, yet you act as if only the changes that don't fit your pre-conceived definitions of what makes a SE/Japanese RPG matter and conveniently ignore the rest.

There used to be a lot of gamers who understood what gaming was really about, too. That's the real problem now.

I still own the physical copies of both games, and instead of comparing the two choose to treat them as unique experiences even though CC is a sequel.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#46Spiroth_KweehhPosted 2/11/2013 9:31:00 AM(edited)
^ Square has been changing the fundamental mechanics and settings, even artistic choices, of every sequel of every one of their IPs since the very first FINAL FANTASY sequel, FINAL FANTASY II.

Real fans know that this is true... for the past 24 years.
Now, if they want every installment of every series to cater to their personal most preferred form of that installment-y change, and end up being 100% disappointed (and they definitely will, with that wrong mentality)... their problem.

---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#47carsaucePosted 2/11/2013 9:30:29 AM
One of the best rpgs ever made for the PS1, the story and just lore is too amazing to exist and it all goes back to Chrono Trigger.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#48yahya_no_1Posted 2/11/2013 10:33:30 AM(edited)

Personally, I'd save Kid, since it's a roleplaying game and I project some of myself on the protagonist. The game has multiple endings (that are actually fun to get) so you'll have a chance to get the character later. He's not a big deal, either -- just looks cool.

Not a big deal? if anything hes supposed to be one of the main 3, has a direct connection to you what who, also one of the only characters to get a weapon as good as Serge's, skipping him would skip alot of background story details, specially of you played and loved CT
---
PSN:yahyano1
#49xyxrxuxafraidx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 6:24:57 AM
nouseravailable posted...
xyxrxuxafraidx posted...

The Wolrd ends with You is pretty good... i cant say the same about the rest. Bravely Default is suposed to be great too. But yeah, things are different now, its just too bad. If you liked Chrono Cross, you can always get Radiant Historia, another beautiful rpg.

Thanks for recommending Radiant Historia... it looks really nice and I'll give it a try.

Btw- About Chrono Trigger.... Im at the very beginning where I'm trying to find 3 komodo dragon scales. I caught one but the 2nd one keeps running away and jumping in the water before I can even get near it.... Wut do??
---
METAL GEAR SOLID | HEAVY RAIN | FF7 | RE | ZOE | SF /fanboy
#50AstroshakPosted 2/12/2013 6:32:53 AM
thisranks posted...
xyxrxuxafraidx posted...

They recognised change was a necessity to moving forward. They aren't fooling themselves like you are. Proof? Almost every game they have created that is a series game or a direct sequel has had changes to some fundamental part of the game, yet you act as if only the changes that don't fit your pre-conceived definitions of what makes a SE/Japanese RPG matter and conveniently ignore the rest.

There used to be a lot of gamers who understood what gaming was really about, too. That's the real problem now.

I still own the physical copies of both games, and instead of comparing the two choose to treat them as unique experiences even though CC is a sequel.

Change can be good or bad, but as you rightly point out, it is necessary for forward movement. I would add that it is necessary for growth, as well.

The problem is that not everyone agrees with the direction of change that Squaresoft and Squareenix has chosen. To those who agree with SE, the changes are good. To those who think that the changes are being made in the wrong direction, the changes are bad.

That's about all that can be said, obvious though it may all be.