This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If PS4 won't ban used games wouldn't Sony have said something?

#1STN79Posted 2/10/2013 2:56:09 PM
After all the crying and outrage when that patent was filed you'd think they'd say something.
Something like....It's okay fans don't get your panties in a wad. We're not banning used games. Yet they remain silent on the issue. My money's on a ban. If it wasn't true they would have said so by now.
#2j-fielding95Posted 2/10/2013 2:57:25 PM
One of the two companies wouldn't ban used games without being absolutely sure that the other is going to as well.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ONVOTwt0k#t=03m49s
#3PhoenixRushPosted 2/10/2013 2:58:05 PM(edited)
They kept people in the dark when PSN was being hacked. It's what they do. Also it doesn't help that Sony actually got a patent for not having used games on a system...
---
Oh boy, we're going to the sperm bank!- Sophia Petrillo
#4_The_Hitcher_Posted 2/10/2013 3:10:16 PM(edited)
When the pre-planned event for the announcement of the system is less than 2 weeks away it would be incredibly stupid to spoil the already weak air of mystery by addressing a frankly ridiculous rumour.

PhoenixRush posted...
They kept people in the dark when PSN was being hacked. It's what they do. Also it doesn't help that Sony actually got a patent for not having used games on a system...

Actually they did an unusually good job with addressing the hack, you'd be amazed how often those things happen and nobody admits to anything, however because they didn't explain exactly what happened until they'd checked the facts themselves they keep getting criticised for it. Also patents get filed all the time, they have one for a system that allows games to be controlled through emotions, think that will be a PS4 feature?
---
PSN: ForeverLost
XBL: ForeverLost360
#5steker16Posted 2/10/2013 3:09:04 PM
protip: when the rumors of a PS3 announcement being right around corner were everywhere, this same exact thing came up about how it would be blocking used games, and what happened that time?
---
nomnomnom
#6The_MPerPosted 2/10/2013 3:17:03 PM
If it is true, them blocking used games. How do you guys think they'll announce it? All apologetic and stupid? "Introducing are brand new console the 'PS4' it can do many thing but unfortunately it can play used games, we're sorry about that but in return it finally has cross game chat. Which we think most gamers would want that over used games anyways".
---
PSN: The_MPer --- XBL: The U is Silent --- Wii: doesn't work anymore --- Steam: So Zetta Slow
#7PendragoonPosted 2/10/2013 3:56:59 PM
The_MPer posted...
If it is true, them blocking used games. How do you guys think they'll announce it? All apologetic and stupid? "Introducing are brand new console the 'PS4' it can do many thing but unfortunately it can play used games, we're sorry about that but in return it finally has cross game chat. Which we think most gamers would want that over used games anyways".

Odds are they would say nothing about used games at all.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#8Scene13Posted 2/10/2013 4:16:12 PM
STN79 posted...
After all the crying and outrage when that patent was filed you'd think they'd say something.

You guys do know that filing a patent for something =/= that something will ever happen or exist right? Or is that expecting too much for this board? I have a PS3 and PC so don't go off saying I'm a Xbox fanboy or something stupid k?

I can file a patent for a machine that's installed in every newly built house that makes the water blue and taste like root beer. Doesn't mean it'll ever happen.
---
^My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. Don't get mad about it.
#9HENTAIDOJIPosted 2/10/2013 4:51:27 PM(edited)
If PS4 won't ban used games wouldn't Sony have said something?

No. In fact I wouldn't expect this to be explained at all until weeks before launch.

Like the PS3's mandatory installs, they didn't come out on stage and say

"Wow, that Killzone trailer looked hot huh? By the way we also have something exciting to announce. Every PS3 game will require a mandatory 5GB installation at about 15 minutes a pop...and we are thrilled to announce the 20GB PS3 starts at only $499!"

Thankfully, some journalists will ask at E3, they just may not get a solid answer.

And I wouldn't count Sony out on it yet, Microsoft hasn't published a game with online passes, Sony has and they patented techniques for full games. Sony has clearly felt the pre-owned pinch more than Microsoft..or at least acted more proactively about it.

They don't have much to gain by being the last bastion of the used game buyer (which I am) .
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#10ObturatorPosted 2/10/2013 4:48:23 PM
PhoenixRush posted...

Sony has a bad rep in his regards. Id they intend to ban used games they had better be front and center with their designs. Otherwise they will lose another chunk of loyalists and potentially open themselves to a lawsuit
---
Yea, I thought so.