This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The three big reasons why Console gaming is a better experience than PC gaming

#1lostkiwiPosted 2/10/2013 4:03:23 PM(edited)
This is coming from someone who has been a PC gamer for over 20 years.

Your gaming environment
This is the view from my PC Desk
- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/viewpc.jpg/
And this is the view from my Couch
- http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/viewconsole.jpg/

In my particular case, my TV is roughly 7.5 times larger than my monitor. My lounge has full surround sound, including subwoofer, and there is ample room for others to share in the gaming experience. Games are more likely to have local multiplayer, and consoles support up to 4 people playing wirelessly on the same device. It encourages interactive gaming.

With PC gaming chances are you will still be tied to a desk even when you use wireless controller, since a keyboard and mouse is still preferred to navigate the operating system. So, unless you're using a wireless trackball mouse, or painfully navigating the operating system with your controller, then even if you play away from the desk you still have some dependency on it.

And yes, everyone knows you can run an HDMI cable from your PC to your TV, however to do that you are required to have your PC in the same room, which for most people it will not be. And to be forced to move your PC into a social environment as a solution is clunky at best.

The Games
First of all, in terms of total games, the PC wins by a landslide, which can be seen in the article in my signature. However, the overwhelming majority of those games are indie titles from small developers that have been made available via Steam.

In terms of 'big' games, the Consoles quite easily come in front. Take for example the list of games that scored 90% or higher on Metacritic:

PC exclusive games that scored 90% or higher
EDIT: I should have said, this is dating from when the release of the Xbox 360
- Company of Heroes
- Empire: Total War
- Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
- Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor
- GTR 2
- Guild Wars 2
- Out of the Park Baseball 2007
- Sid Meier's Civilization V
- Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
- Team Fortress 2
- Total War: Shogun 2
- World of Goo
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
Total: 15. Of that list, I would class 9 as Triple A

Console exclusive games that scored 90% or higher
- Bayonetta
- Forza Motorsport 2
- Forza Motorsport 3
- Forza Motorsport 4
- Gears of War 2
- Gears of War 3
- Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2
- Guitar Hero II
- Halo 3
- Halo: Reach
- Journey
- Killzone 2
- LittleBigPlanet
- LittleBigPlanet 2
- God of War III
- God of War Collection
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- MLB 09: The Show
- MLB 10: The Show
- MLB 11: The Show
- Okami HD
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
- Red Dead Redemption
- Rock Band
- Rock Band 2
- Rock Band 3
- Super Street Fighter IV
- The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
- Trials Evolution
- Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
Total: 31. Of that list, I would class 17 as Triple A

Even if you were to look at PS3 games only then they would still come ahead 23 to 15.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#2lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 3:39:27 PM
Management of the System
The big problem with PC is that there is no overarching control over what publishers and distributes can and cannot do, and as such everyone wants a finger in the pie. You use Steam to play some games. You use Origin to play some games. You use Games for Windows to play some games. You use GamersGate to purchase some games. You use Gamestop PC Downloads to purchase some games. You use Green Man Gaming to purchase some games. You use GOG to purchase some games. Some publishers force you to play online, even for an offline experience. Some publishers force you to install spyware like applications such as Punk Buster. Some publishers give you a fixed number of activations. So forth. It's anything but a streamlined experience.

Each distributor and publisher are tripping over themselves to take control away from the end user, so that they themselves can manage the gaming experience.

The Consoles have none of that. You have one single account that the Console then manages on behalf of the Publisher. That one account has everything tied to it - You account details, PSN purchases, Billing Betails, Trophies, everything. You don't get the extreme DRM that PC publisers often impose because it's managed by Sony/Microsoft. And the end result is a lot smoother for the end user.

I am by no means saying that the PC is difficult, only that at times it can be a unnecessary hassle. The Consoles are just a more seemless experience over all.
---
#3killakPosted 2/10/2013 3:40:09 PM
Dude....... that was really bad.

You forgot to say couch vs desk
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#4-Damien-Posted 2/10/2013 3:42:12 PM
console games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PC games

nuff said
#5theatrical_catPosted 2/10/2013 3:42:52 PM
Too long for a flawed argument. Try being more concise next time.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#6-Damien-Posted 2/10/2013 3:44:25 PM
theatrical_cat posted...

like my post ;-)
#7jubjub360Posted 2/10/2013 3:45:55 PM
-Damien- posted...
theatrical_cat posted...

like my post ;-)

But you don't play any other console except ps3.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:5~ ~ Number of fans:11~
#8lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 3:46:42 PM
theatrical_cat posted...

Typical reply from someone who lacks the logic for a counter-argument.
---
#9Scr3w3dUpPosted 2/10/2013 3:47:33 PM
TC, your first "reason" is your own fault, just hook up your damn computer to your damn tv ....
---
You were that lonely? You should have children...
You'll never be lonely, plus you get to watch them grow into delicious little angels. - BreakJob
#10jubjub360Posted 2/10/2013 3:48:38 PM
Scr3w3dUp posted...
TC, your first "reason" is your own fault, just hook up your damn computer to your damn tv ....

And this. Also before you say something about mouse and keyboard: there are programs that allow you to use a controller if the game does not have a setting like that built in.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:5~ ~ Number of fans:11~