This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The three big reasons why Console gaming is a better experience than PC gaming

#121AsellusPosted 2/11/2013 10:59:38 PM(edited)
You need software to navigate the OS if you use a controller. I.E if you want to use the PC in your lounge. I.E the whole thing your doing your best to debate.

Assuming you just leave Steam running in the background all you need to do is hit the 360 controller's guide button and it'll automatically start up its controller-minded"Big Picture Mode". If all you want out of your pc when using it with your television is to play games on it you really don't need anything other than to get an hdmi cable and the wireless adapter for the controller in there.

Like Ubisoft forcing me out of my game if I go offline momentarily, even if I'm playing a single player game.

Er, in what? They dropped their "always on DRM" scheme ages ago, the games it was used in it's been patched out of.

Like 2K Games giving me a maximum of three installations only, even if I change rigs.

You get the installation back if you uninstall the game. If you run out you can generally just contact their technical support.
#122LordAizenSamaPosted 2/11/2013 11:02:59 PM
lostkiwi posted...

I have been a PC gamer for my entire life. Not only that, I have a Software Engineering degree and I am a senior ASP.Net software developer, currently developing mobile websites. PC's are my life. I know them inside and out, and considerably more than the average user.

You and everyone else. I'm not keen to trust people's degrees over GameFAQs.

You need software to navigate the OS if you use a controller. I.E if you want to use the PC in your lounge. I.E the whole thing your doing your best to debate.

Right, you need software to use the controller. I would hope software isn't foreign to you. Like I said, have a little flip out table or night stand by the couch and put the mouse on that. Or use your phone to control the PC if you want to get all fancy. My argument is not so much that PC is the ultimate convenient experience, it's that someone who "knows PCs better than the average user" and has enough energy to run all of the time should be able to do these small things making the PC nearly, if not as comfortable as a console after setup AND reap all of the benefits of the PC.

If you need to use a coffee table then you're not couch gaming. That's entirely my point.

Fine. If that's you're attitude, I concede. If you truly believe the effort of leaning over or getting a little nightstand/fold out table would impede your comfort that much, then you've proven to me that, once again, consoles are for the less than passionate about gaming who only use games as a way to lay brain dead on a couch for a while. That's fine, I simply don't get how that's a "better experience."

Like Ubisoft forcing me out of my game if I go offline momentarily, even if I'm playing a single player game.
Like 2K Games giving me a maximum of three installations only, even if I change rigs.
Like Activision forcing me to install Punk Buster.

Or another case - Here are three biggest games I played on the PC last year:
- Diablo 3
- Guild Wars 2
- Mass Effect 3
One you need a Battlenet account for, and you need to download from Battle.net
One you need a NSoft Account for, and you download from their website
One you need an Origin Account for, and you download through their third party software.

Standardization. There is none. That's my point.

I've never experienced those things, but I guess I don't often buy from those developers, so I can't speak for that. Sorry it happened, I don't see it outweighing the benefits, I listed, but I'll guess I'll accept that as an issue.

Yeah, you need an account, why is that a problem? If that's what you meant by standardization "problems", I go back to the idea of laziness or lack of passion.

I think I understand the console mindset more, I suppose. But I stand that it is not "the better experience." It is for those who don't care enough to customize their own experience to any great degree, and simply want some mindless fun. That's fine, I can accept that.
---
The Heart.
#123Xenesis XenonPosted 2/11/2013 11:13:02 PM
lostkiwi posted...
If you need to use a coffee table then you're not couch gaming. That's entirely my point.

Where would you put your tea or coffee then?
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#124_tanjil_Posted 2/11/2013 11:27:11 PM
well for your first argument... that's just your set up, I know plenty of people who have their PCs hooked up to a television instead of a monitor, and if your worried about key board and mouse, well PCs are compatible with controllers as well.

As for games, most multi platform games are available on all consoles and PC these days, hell the Wii was the one getting nothing. As for exclusives it's up to preference. And of course many of PCs best known exclusives are RTS or MMO type games, keyboard and mouse can bring out the best n the category.

Also a lot of console exclusives that you mentioned weren't that great. Super Street Fighter 4 is available on steam from what I remember. You can play Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 emulator and run it better than the PS3 release, same with other failed HD games like Zone of the Enders. Free PS2 emulators work better than Sony/Microsoft cash grabs, surprise surprise.
Besides I'd have to say exclusives argument is subjective. People who play PC and console may genuinely prefer PC or they might prefer console. No fan boysim involved.

The management argument... I think it's pointless. It seems like grasping for straws, finding something to complain about for the sake of complaining. Just have a universal gaming username and password and you're set. If you have a gaming PC have those things installed isn't hurting. Also it's not like you don't see origin on consoles, Medal of Honor had it. Ubisoft also has Uplay integrated into their games.

With all do respect none of your arguments were compelling. I feel I've logically refuted them to some extent. Funny enough the only PC gaming I've done in my life was Dota a few years back, aside from that I'm a console gamer. But PC probably is the way to go, But I like my console exclusives so and online fighting games, so PS3 for me.
#125lostkiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:28:14 PM
LordAizenSama posted...
lostkiwi posted...

I have been a PC gamer for my entire life. Not only that, I have a Software Engineering degree and I am a senior ASP.Net software developer, currently developing mobile websites. PC's are my life. I know them inside and out, and considerably more than the average user.

You and everyone else. I'm not keen to trust people's degrees over GameFAQs.

I know we're never going to come do a complete agreement here, and I think now we're just arguing over specifics. So, I'm not going to fuel it anymore.

The only reason I'm posting is to say is that the personal stuff I have quoted about myself is in fact true. I know it's easy for people to imaging details about themselves when they speak anomalously, but I'm not one of them. It's just a little thing I guess.

That's all I have to say.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#126gamestop27Posted 2/11/2013 11:49:22 PM(edited)
The Games
First of all, in terms of total games, the PC wins by a landslide, which can be seen in the article in my signature. However, the overwhelming majority of those games are indie titles from small developers that have been made available via Steam.

The PC doesn't win anything to me. I don't play FPS, RTS, MMOs, or WRPGs or Indie games and the high profile games that get hyped for the PC are in one of those 5. I play fighters, some JRPG's, hack n slashers, and platformers; the PC doesn't get much from those for me to justify investing in PC gaming.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~William Simms
#127RollingCradlePosted 2/12/2013 12:00:16 AM
PC: 1080p60.

Console: Smelly couch farts.
#128LazyyAmericanPosted 2/14/2013 11:11:39 PM
An obligatory tl;dr....I'll stick to above 40 fps and proper aa
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#129Snuckie7Posted 2/14/2013 11:21:05 PM
I don't know about you TC, but it's pretty damn easy for me to navigate my computer with a controller (yes, even my OS)

The screen my PC boots to: http://i.imgur.com/BlpoE8g.jpg

I highlight a tile and go directly into the game. Not hard at all, and I see no reason why you excluded Windows 8 as a viable option for gaming on the couch.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLi K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#130SophaerLamPosted 2/14/2013 11:49:14 PM
Well the things I hate about a pc is that you have to get up and press the power button if you use it in your living room and the noise but overall pc's gets ahead by default because some games are so exotic.