This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow the poll today.

#1Cable_mvc2Posted 2/10/2013 6:49:34 PM
lol really the way people decide on buying a game is gameplay videos over reviews? Well this explains all the idiots buying terrible movie licensed games.
#2thisranksPosted 2/10/2013 7:06:28 PM
I couldn't answer it. The poll choices were too generalized. Had there been an "other" choice i would have taken it.

That said, i would also pick a gameplay video over a review. There's simply too much bias out there for it to be ignored. With a gameplay video i see exactly what i'm getting and can base judgment on my own opinion. Written reviews basically fall into the "how much are you willing to trust" category.

It could be argued that gameplay videos only show you what they want you to see, but i would argue that it's a necessity not to give away plot or story. Besides, written reviews only give you a general idea of plot as well.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#3Junpei_StupeiPosted 2/10/2013 7:12:34 PM(edited)
Reviews are unimportant when you already know what you like.

For example, I already knew I will dislike this game the moment I saw this stupid, ugly troll face:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z249/castleroot666/TrollFace.png

I already knew I would fall in love with this game, the moment I saw this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFIDGFvVwC0

---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#4RyuuHou25Posted 2/10/2013 7:09:03 PM
Cable_mvc2 posted...
lol really the way people decide on buying a game is gameplay videos over reviews? Well this explains all the idiots buying terrible movie licensed games.

Yeah, how dare people use their brains to see a game and think "Yup, I could see myself playing that" as opposed to listening to the peons that get paid to voice THEIR opinion on it, which are typically influenced by their bosses and video game companies and what not.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5archizzyPosted 2/10/2013 7:11:47 PM(edited)
Any gamer who knows his own tastes would only need a few minutes of gameplay to know with 100% accuracy whether he/she wants a game.

I don't mind technical details of a video review (reports of lag, screen tearing, loading problems, pop in, so on and so on) but the rest of the review on fun factor, replay value, opinion on music, story, characters are all worthless to me.

I don't care what someone elses opinions are or their tastes nor the arbitrary number (good or bad) tacked on to a review.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6AwesomePS3gamerPosted 2/10/2013 7:18:31 PM
archizzy posted...
Any gamer who knows his own tastes would only need a few minutes of gameplay to know with 100% accuracy whether he/she wants a game.

I don't mind technical details of a video review (reports of lag, screen tearing, loading problems, pop in, so on and so on) but the rest of the review on fun factor, replay value, opinion on music, story, characters are all worthless to me.

I don't care what someone elses opinions are or their tastes nor the arbitrary number (good or bad) tacked on to a review.

Agree. I bought like 80% of my games after watching only a video or two and using google to look if the game is buggy as hell or not, way more realiable then just reading reviews imo.
#7HenryKazukaPosted 2/10/2013 7:21:35 PM
Because reviews are a TERRIBLE way to assign value to a game.

Case in point,

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/10/god-hand-review
---
Persona! *blows his head off*
#8torch00Posted 2/10/2013 7:22:18 PM
Gameplay footage tells me most of what I need to know. I can tell from seeing a game in action whether I'll enjoy it or not. I don't purchase any game these days without watching footage of it first and it has yet to steer me wrong.
#93D3Posted 2/10/2013 7:24:26 PM
lol reviews? Really? Everyone has their own opinion, you'd rather trust someone else's review rather than your own opinion of a game based off of previews? FAIL
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#10riddlebox89Posted 2/10/2013 7:41:48 PM
Cable_mvc2 posted...

Reviews are just reading about the game, gameplay videos are actually seeing the game play out.

That and reviewers are biased as hell, so they're not even worth reading anymore.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.