This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts now that gaming has become mainstream this gen?

#1kill_distroyPosted 2/10/2013 6:51:09 PM
I personally don't really care about gaming becoming mainstream much, I just have worry about the effects it carries. I don't really mind all the i-pad games and that kind of stuff. I do however, worry about console gaming. I'm talking about the dumbing down of games.

Before talking about this, I have to say that there is a difference between streamlining, and dumbing down. Things like auto saves have all made gaming much more enjoyable this gen. What I hate is that most developers now are afraid of having any aspect in their games remotely hard. Games now are as shallow as a pond, and I'm afraid this will not change as developers are terrified of scaring off all these casual / new gamers are not very experienced in gaming in general.

This is why I love games like Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, and the Witcher this gen, which were not scared of being very hard and requiring a real amount of patience and dedication to be able to fully appreciate what these games have to offer.

I'm not trying to be a hipster here or anything, but I miss the days were most gamers were very experienced in gaming, and didn't mind having to work a bit in order to fully understand how certain things work in games, or become skilled in it, thus developers didn't have to worry about scaring them off.
---
Got it Memorized?
GT: Risev / PSN: RisevQ8
#2kel25Posted 2/10/2013 6:51:55 PM
Becoming mainstream this gen? Um it's been mainstream before this gen.
#3Golden MavenPosted 2/10/2013 6:53:58 PM
kill_distroy posted...
I personally don't really care about gaming becoming mainstream much

That's good, because it's been mainstream since the 70s.
#4Junpei_StupeiPosted 2/10/2013 6:57:50 PM
mainstream means westernization.
---
I think I bought the wrong console this gen.
#5zyrax2301Posted 2/10/2013 6:59:37 PM
You mean people are trying to cash in on it now?

I don't really care. I still get to play games the same as I ever did, for the most part...next gen could potentially be a bit of a problem but we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#6UniversquallPosted 2/10/2013 7:01:28 PM
Junpei_Stupei posted...
mainstream means westernization.

You went mainstream in 2003
---
After the Fallout
#7Draconas_LyrrPosted 2/10/2013 7:03:58 PM
I think there are still too many people that treat gaming like it's taboo.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#8archizzyPosted 2/10/2013 7:05:29 PM
I somewhat disagree about gaming being "dumbed down" when looking at the larger context.

I have been gaming regularly since 1980. Do I think games are easier now then before? Yes, but for valid reasons.

Coming from the arcade era games were designed to eat your quarters. A big chunk of my first home console games were arcade ports.

You also have to look at games back then and their extreme limitations. Basically 2D sidescrollers/platformers where *if* you had the game mastered you really knew how incredibly short games were.

For all the complaints about "short" modern games most games I play offer far more content and average a good chunk of time longer to complete.

Then looking at how much better controls have gotten. Being able to move the camera around, having fluid and free aim, the ability to complete objectives in a number of ways.

Going back to the 2D days of fixed cameras often giving you a poor view, respawning enemies right on the side of the screen, being attacked from off screen, only being able to shoot straight with no way of diagonal attacking so enemies can attack you and you have no way to attack them, on and on and on. It all ties into the "eat your quarters" mentality of artificially lengthening a game.

I find very little challenge in modern games but for understandable reasons.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#9NicodimusPosted 2/10/2013 7:06:39 PM
-I really like waffles.
-I like pizza even more.
-I need to get this brain switched into a body that isn't failing for no apparent reason.
-I like green a lot lately. Not pea soup green of course, but emerald green is hot.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#10zyrax2301Posted 2/10/2013 7:30:44 PM
Nicodimus posted...
-I really like waffles.
-I like pizza even more.
-I need to get this brain switched into a body that isn't failing for no apparent reason.
-I like green a lot lately. Not pea soup green of course, but emerald green is hot.

You could get your brain put in a PS3

That would be so cool
---
Why? Because **** you is why.