This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

has anyone experience this on their PS3?

#1LOSTinTOKYOPosted 2/11/2013 1:07:41 AM
Every time I play any disc game it freezes 15 minutes into the games and all of my games are in great condition. When I play downloadable psn games they work fine. Basically everything works except when I play disc games they always freeze. I already tried option 3 and 5 on safe mode many times since there is corrupt data files. Did the corrupt files mess up my hard drive so I need to buy a new one? or is it that I need a new disk Laser replacement?
#2AlltraPosted 2/11/2013 1:15:27 AM
When they freeze, have you been getting any errors?
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#3LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 1:25:44 AM
its 80010514
#4AlltraPosted 2/11/2013 1:37:11 AM(edited)
That's what I thought.

I'd backup your HDD as soon as possible, just in case

I had this error happen to me in August. It either means your Lens is going bad, or your machine needs cleaned out because dust is clogging up your lens.

I fixed the issue by busting open the system and cleaning out all the dust, and gently swabbing the lenses with a Q-tip and Rubbing Alchohol. It worked like a charm, haven't had any issues with it since then. That would be the first thing I'd suggest doing.

If you do go that route, you'll need a special screwdriver bit to open the system. It's called a Torx Security Bit, and you need a T8 size Star shapped version of the bit. You'll need it for 3 screws in order to open up the system. I got a full set of them at my local hardware store for about $10.

Otherwise, opening up the system and getting to the lens is fairly simple, you just have to be a little careful not to rip any of the ribbons. There are tons of Youtube Videos on how to properly open and dissassemble the PS3 if you aren't sure.

If you're not comfortable doing that, the alternative is to send it away for maintainence, which can be pretty expensive.

...and obviously if that doesn't work, then it means you need to replace your lens assembly.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#595_EclipsePosted 2/11/2013 1:32:28 AM
I did a google search and found this : http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/error-code-80010514/td-p/17540532

Hopefully that helps you, I'm a 360 player, and I just got a Ps3 not long ago and haven't hooked it up yet, so outside of that I'm not help x.x
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#6LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 1:48:01 AM
Yea my ps3 is very dusty inside. I just watched a video about a guy cleaning his lens with q-tips and then I saw what you wrote & I said to myself this really could work! Yea & sony told me to send it for repair for about $107 with shipping and handling. Funny how they shipped the box but I decided days ago that I rather open it myself or have my brother open it instead of sending my ps3 that I actually won't get back and will get a refurbished one that might end up having problems in the future. Thank you very much for your advice. & @95_Eclipse thank you also. I highly appreciate it guys!
---
ME
#7LOSTinTOKYO(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 1:51:22 AM
I backup my save game files into a usb. I really hope that my HDD didn't die out. My ps3 also makes ejecting noises
---
ME