This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help choosing: Binary Domain, Vanquish, or Dead Island

#41shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 4:18:15 PM
ElBorak77 posted...
From the Dead Island Boards...
it is terrible.

freezes, glitches hackers, dickheads, morons and a horrible online setup. let alone texture pop in, screen tearing, frame rate drop, losing saves, etc. when online the game will freeze necessitating a whole ps3 reset.

last night i had 7 freezes/resets in 3 hours of trying to play.

^ LoL...try harder
#42CassyChanPosted 2/11/2013 4:24:14 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
FiendingHard posted...

Not only is Vanquish one of the best TPS ever created, its also one of the best games ever created and an absolute joy to play. A lot of games have borrowed game mechanics from this revolutionary game, including Binary Domain (RE6 and Sleeping Dogs among others)

^ I like Vanquish too, but to claim that other games copy it is a joke.
If anything, Vanquish copies games like Gears of War...same as Binary Domain, & etc.
Other than the sliding mechanic, what is new & innovative of Vanquish that other companies copy ?
Anything you can mention has been done in countless TPS games before it....so if anything, its Vanquish that is copying other games.

But I agree that it's a very good game.
I just wish it was longer and had more replay value.

Personally I think it's a joke to say Vanquish copied games like Gears of War.

Shinji Mikami worked on Vanquish, he's the man behind Resident Evil 4. RE4 revolutionised the TPS genre with its following OTS, precise camera style and tight third person gameplay and like all of the best TPS games it did so without getting bogged down in boring cover-based shoot-outs (though being fair at that point cover shooting wasn't what it is today, it was how it was in games like Operation Winback).

Gears of War came along with no originality, cover shooting had already been done in the same kind of style, walking and shooting in TPS games was obviously old news and other shooters were doing co-op around the same time, though Gears was the one to become really successful.

Like with RE4 Mikami & co. brought plenty of originality to the TPS with the pace of the gameplay being the main focus (like the boosting, action game style dodge mechanic, ARS slow-mo). The general design had lots of interesting and cool stuff, like destroying Romanov's heads to affect their AI (this is something Binary Domain did copy, but it took it a couple of steps further - also worth noting that Binary Domain and Vanquish are both Sega properties so it's not like true theft of the mechanic) and lots of little gameplay gimmicks and quirks that add some nice depth to it. The weapon design and how it was balanced against the enemy design was great, and the AI would have different ways to get you out of cover if you abused it (like enemies that would flank you, some enemies that would use power ful shots that go straight through cover if you were there too long etc), this was great as it forces players to not play cheaply and boringly without skill in the boring cover-shooting crap style of a lot of TPS games. Vanquish also has the feel of a japanese action game much more than just a TPS, anyone that feels it plays like a standard TPS is probably playing badly. Just look at gameplay like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWGfXaXlzoI
No other TPS plays anything like that.

To say a game like Vanquish copied Gears is just wrong, if anything Gears has Vanquish's director to thank for introducing the tight, following over-the-shoulder camera system that all TPS games now use. Gears didn't do anything much new at all whereas Mikami's TPS games have always shown originality.
---
Currently playing: Ni no Kuni
Games I play: http://psnprofiles.com/cassychan
#43shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 4:30:40 PM(edited)
^ Gears had the cover system long before Vanquish did.
As well as the group mechanic.

And you still didn't answer my question....what does Vanquish do that is so innovative that hasn't been done in previous TPS games (other than the sliding) ?

The answer is...NOTHING !

Don't get me wrong, as I am NOT arguing that its a good game, because it is...
I'm just sick of hearing that its somehow "revolutionary" or "innovative", when it is no such thing.
It takes already established mechanics of various other TPS games, and combines it into a very well-done package.
That is NOT the definition of being "revolutionary."
In most games, it would be considered a "Clone"...but because it was made in Japan by Mikami...it gets labeled, "revolutionary".
Please, don't insult my intelligence.
#44CassyChanPosted 2/11/2013 4:50:10 PM
shawnmck posted...
^ Gears had the cover system long before Vanquish did.
As well as the group mechanic.

And you still didn't answer my question....what does Vanquish do that is so innovative that hasn't been done in previous TPS games (other than the sliding) ?

The answer is...NOTHING !

Don't get me wrong, as I am NOT arguing that its a good game, because it is...
I'm just sick of hearing that its somehow "revolutionary" or "innovative", when it is no such thing.
It takes already established mechanics of various other TPS games, and combines it into a very well-done package.
That is NOT the definition of being "revolutionary."
In most games, it would be considered a "Clone"...but because it was made in Japan by Mikami...it gets labeled, "revolutionary".
Please, don't insult my intelligence.

You ignored pretty much everything I said, well done.

The point was that Gears was not original, why would you credit Gears for having something and say something copied it, when Gears in fact didn't do anything innovative itself? It's like saying 50 Cent isn't original because 2pac already did rap, as if 2pac had invented the genre.

As I said, Vanquish's use of speed was original, constantly moving from fast to average to slow-mo, and the fact it played more like an action game. I didn't say Vanquish was revolutionary (I said RE4 was), I said it has originality, which it does, show me any game that plays like that video I posted or any good gameplay of Vanquish in fact.

And don't bring that "made in Japan" crap here when I didn't say anything at all about where it's from relating to quality, I'm half-Chinese and couldn't give less of a **** where a good game is made.

While you're at it come back naming three good TPS games (good as in critically acclaimed or at least good sales) with more originality and more "revolutionary" than RE4 and Vanquish, I'm interested to hear what you think is original if you think Gears deserves more praise for its "innovations" than Vanquish.
---
Currently playing: Ni no Kuni
Games I play: http://psnprofiles.com/cassychan
#45LvthnPosted 2/11/2013 5:06:29 PM
Have done multiple playthroughs of DI. Never had the game freeze, no game-ending glitches. This is as of patch 1.3, current version. Deterring others from it due to glitches is ridiculous.

However, it took me a while to get into it. The game looks good, and the combat isn't that bad, but you need to know what to expect. Namely, Purna (gun expert) CAN run pure guns but won't be able to do that until well past the halfway point of the game, and Xian (blade expert) looks like she'd be a beast on paper, given how many blades there are in this melee-heavy game, but she's by far the hardest one to solo with. Also, Moresby will mark a pretty drastic change in how you play the game - in the Resort you pretty much kill whatever you find, in Moresby you better get used to fleeing if circumstances are unfavorable.

Still, for $10 why not play it, I've gotten a few dozen hours out of it. Doesn't have to be a shining star to be worth playing.
#46ElBorak77Posted 2/11/2013 5:16:05 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
DI is one of the best co-op games I've played. Don't listen to the haters.

yeah if it works.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#47gucciburrrPosted 2/11/2013 5:17:31 PM
Dead Island and it's not even close. Vanquish is a decent tps that last about 5 hours and has absolutely no replay value. If decent dialog and story remotely interests you stay far away as it has some of worst I've ever encountered. Binary Domain is easily a better game than Vanquish but also has zero replay value. Dead Island is not only insanely fun but has replay value out the ass. I beat it with all four characters and after 100+ hours, I was never bored....
---
Man I hate bein SOOOOOOOOBA!!!!!!
#48ElBorak77Posted 2/11/2013 5:25:18 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
ElBorak77 posted...
From the Dead Island Boards...
it is terrible.

freezes, glitches hackers, dickheads, morons and a horrible online setup. let alone texture pop in, screen tearing, frame rate drop, losing saves, etc. when online the game will freeze necessitating a whole ps3 reset.

last night i had 7 freezes/resets in 3 hours of trying to play.

^ LoL...try harder

what do you think i'm making that up? why?

i bought the game because i wanted to play it. that was my experience. if it worked for you great but that's what happened to me. i would have taken it back and gotten a refund but my time had run out. i don't have a lot of money for games so when i buy one i'm really hoping it's good.

oh and you forgot to add the last thing that happened to me...

(btw after i beat sp i tried playing mp to get one more trophy out of it. the game froze and i had to reset the ps3. this time the message came up about not shutting down properly. when the system was ready i got back into the game and guess what? all my in-game trophy progress was erased! yeah great game.)
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#49FiendingHardPosted 2/11/2013 7:18:04 PM
shawnmck posted...
^ I like Vanquish too, but to claim that other games copy it is a joke.
If anything, Vanquish copies games like Gears of War...same as Binary Domain, & etc.
Other than the sliding mechanic, what is new & innovative of Vanquish that other companies copy ?
Anything you can mention has been done in countless TPS games before it....so if anything, its Vanquish that is copying other games.

Why are you even comparing Vanquish to Gears of War? One is a fast-paced over the top shooter where you're maneuvering across the battlefield constantly while managing the suit between offense/defense while the other is a whack a mole shooter.

You wanna know how Vanquish was innovative? The slide mechanic, its becoming a norm in TPS. Another mechanic is slowing down time which Sleeping Dogs implemented beautifully as well. It might sound like a small thing on paper but in terms of gameplay they are huge and actually push the genre forward (something that hasn't happened since RE4, Gears looks pretty and has gore but how exactly did it push the genre forward?)

Playing Gears feels like you're playing as a truck, playing Vanquish feels like you're playing as a jet. Its quite foolish to compare the two. Being cover-based TPS is where the similarities end.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Doom 3 BFG, Torchlight 2, Final Fantasy 9.
#50Ghetto_ninjaPosted 2/11/2013 7:44:12 PM
I personally liked inversion over vanquish and the demo of binary. I didn't liked that you just fought robots in vanquish. The storey in inversion was awesome and I loved the visceral combat that so lacks in binary and vanquish. Dead Island takes the cake though. The opening song alone is worth it.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!