This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help choosing: Binary Domain, Vanquish, or Dead Island

#51shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 7:49:35 PM
FiendingHard posted...
shawnmck posted...
^ I like Vanquish too, but to claim that other games copy it is a joke.
If anything, Vanquish copies games like Gears of War...same as Binary Domain, & etc.
Other than the sliding mechanic, what is new & innovative of Vanquish that other companies copy ?
Anything you can mention has been done in countless TPS games before it....so if anything, its Vanquish that is copying other games.

Why are you even comparing Vanquish to Gears of War? One is a fast-paced over the top shooter where you're maneuvering across the battlefield constantly while managing the suit between offense/defense while the other is a whack a mole shooter.

You wanna know how Vanquish was innovative? The slide mechanic, its becoming a norm in TPS. Another mechanic is slowing down time which Sleeping Dogs implemented beautifully as well. It might sound like a small thing on paper but in terms of gameplay they are huge and actually push the genre forward (something that hasn't happened since RE4, Gears looks pretty and has gore but how exactly did it push the genre forward?)

Playing Gears feels like you're playing as a truck, playing Vanquish feels like you're playing as a jet. Its quite foolish to compare the two. Being cover-based TPS is where the similarities end.

^ I asked for something that is innovative besides sliding around, and you give me..."sliding around" (which is all you got), and slowing down time, which Max Payne did a decade earlier.
Everything else you say is meaningless and non-substantive..."Vanquish pushes the genre forward"...., but can't really explain why, other than to say that it is.
Its not innovative, its not revolutionary, but you give it praise and link attributes to it that it does not deserve.

The only thing that stands out about Vanquish is its Art design, which I will agree is top-notch.
other than that, its no different than any other 3rd-person shooter.
#52FiendingHardPosted 2/11/2013 8:01:23 PM
"Sliding around" may not seem that significant on paper but it radically changes how the game is played and the fact that games are borrowing the mechanic proves how much it improves the experience. So what if you listed it already, that doesn't change the fact that its revolutionary.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Doom 3 BFG, Torchlight 2, Final Fantasy 9.
#53OrangeSchweesePosted 2/11/2013 8:08:24 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#54OrangeSchweesePosted 2/11/2013 8:14:14 PM
CassyChan posted...
Gears of War came along with no originality, cover shooting had already been done in the same kind of style, walking and shooting in TPS games was obviously old news and other shooters were doing co-op around the same time, though Gears was the one to become really successful.

translation: you don't own a 360 so you have to justify your hate for one of the best shooters ever made.
#55CassyChanPosted 2/11/2013 10:03:33 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
CassyChan posted...
Gears of War came along with no originality, cover shooting had already been done in the same kind of style, walking and shooting in TPS games was obviously old news and other shooters were doing co-op around the same time, though Gears was the one to become really successful.

translation: you don't own a 360 so you have to justify your hate for one of the best shooters ever made.

Two of the guys I live with have 360s, I've beaten all three Gears games in co-op, beaten the first two games twice in fact and enjoyed all three of them for what they are. I'm not a fan of the 360 after having one RRoD but of all the exclusives it has I'd say Gears ranks among the most fun, even if they're not groundbreaking, I would say that "one of the best shooters ever made" is going way too far... but whatever floats your boat, that's your opinion, just a shame you have to share it in such a rude manner, like the rest of your posts.

Seriously, resorting to dumb assumptions about me and plain saying "**** you" to other users in this topic, that's pathetic and it shows that you're clearly mad. Besides, didn't you say you'd put me on your ignore list earlier when you were arguing poorly? Just do it and get it over with, I'm sick of seeing you replying to me let alone the way you talk to other people.
---
Currently playing: Ni no Kuni
Games I play: http://psnprofiles.com/cassychan
#56USFPosted 2/11/2013 10:32:29 PM
They're all crap.
---
Because the door was open. Blue skies.
Currently Playing: Ni No Kuni, DoTa 2, LoL, Anno 2070, Xcom: Enemy Unknown.