This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will PS3 still be supported after PS4/Orbis is out?

#11este914Posted 2/11/2013 9:44:43 AM
thisranks posted...
I'm guessing not many people actually check the karma count on topic creators, especially with a topic worded like it is ...

I highly doubt that projects in development are simply going to be abandoned, but there is a possibility the game could switch to PS4 development.

That said, i think development costs are going to define whether or not we will continue to see support. Unless it gets very cheap very fast i'd say it won't get as much support as the PS2 got with the exception of PSN. I think DD games will be the main life support of the PS3 with the occasional big name sports games.

Some people are just not that smart and\or have no idea about many specific video game informations
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#12antoinejonesPosted 2/11/2013 10:25:29 AM
docholliday504 posted...
antoinejones posted...

PS2 was still doing better than PS3 for years after PS3 came out and Im sure the same will be said about PS4 especially if its gonna be 400+ in THIS economy? lol

Well that was because the PS3 really really sucked until around 2008. On a successful hardware release, there is no expectation that you immediately sell as many consoles as the predecessor, but there is an expectation that software sales will, in aggregate, eclipse sales of the former generation in relatively short order.

The games people buy is a big difference between a successful release (PS2, 360, Wii, Dreamcast) and a failed one (PS3, wiiU, Vita). A poor release can make or break a system, though there are plenty of examples of systems with good releases that later failed (Dreamcast) and poor releases that went on to later success (PS3).

That said, I'll never understand why console makers don't release systems with massive day 1 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) party exclusives. How many more units would the WiiU have sold if Zelda HD had shipped at the same time? Would people still be talking about "Giant Enemy Crabs" if the PS3 had released along side Metal Gear Solid 4??

umm PS1 or 2 dint exactly have "ground breaking" launch titles either.. i mean the final fantasies, devil may cries, resident evils or metal gears didnt come until WELL after those systems launched.. theres was nothing on ps1, 2 or 3 at launch that made me say "i HAVE to get one of those" that being said Im guessing PS4 will be no different
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#13nihilist212Posted 2/11/2013 10:28:54 AM
They will still make big games for PS3 I would imagine. I mean plenty of people, myself included, won't be getting a PS4 for at least a year or so most likely. And they'll still want our money in the meantime.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#14Hucast9Posted 2/11/2013 10:36:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#15XFactor1Posted 2/11/2013 10:46:30 AM
Probably only by 3rd parties.

Games like Assassins' Creed and CoD would be multiplatform of course because of how well it sells.
---
--
#16antoinejonesPosted 2/11/2013 11:57:25 AM
XFactor1 posted...
Probably only by 3rd parties.

Games like Assassins' Creed and CoD would be multiplatform of course because of how well it sells.

because PS3 has a million wonderful goty worthy/cant live without it first party games?
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#17FearPotionPosted 2/11/2013 12:01:16 PM
PS1 was still being supported when PS2 came out.
PS2 was still being supported when PS3 came out.
PSP was still being supported when PSV came out.

Now finish the story for me.
PS3 was still being supported when ....
#18gr0mkakm0rgPosted 2/11/2013 12:04:35 PM
I think Sony will support the PS3 for up to 2 years after PS4 is released, but it will not stay around as long as the PS2 has. The PS3 is a good system, but it wasn't the legendary system that the PS2 was and I think it will be easy for many people to move past the PS3 when the PS4 gets established.
---
You say "greed" as though it's a bad thing...
#19Golden MavenPosted 2/11/2013 12:12:15 PM
docholliday504 posted...
That said, I'll never understand why console makers don't release systems with massive day 1 1st (or 2nd or 3rd) party exclusives.

That's a good question. Logically, they would wait, but I'm sure they know something we don't. Perhaps at that point it's just a battle of the hardware, and they don't expect to move a lot of units to begin with. They're just trying to pierce the market and let people know the product exists. That's not always a quick process. Then, the games can come.
#20antoinejonesPosted 2/11/2013 12:46:57 PM
gr0mkakm0rg posted...
I think Sony will support the PS3 for up to 2 years after PS4 is released, but it will not stay around as long as the PS2 has. The PS3 is a good system, but it wasn't the legendary system that the PS2 was and I think it will be easy for many people to move past the PS3 when the PS4 gets established.

itll be supported for as long as teh margin of ppl who has ps3s is far wider than those who have ps4
---