This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that were supposed to suck but ended up being awesome.

#1docholliday504Posted 2/11/2013 8:37:39 AM
Everyone knows there are endless games out there that failed to meet the expectations of critics and the press...but what about those games that were never expected to be any good and ended up blowing everyone away. Not as common, but always fun when it happens.

Batman Arkham Asylum is an example. No one had ever made a good batman game. It was a licensed product from a completely unknown studio...and it ended up being amazing.

Any others?
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Halo 4, Persona 3
#2AjescentPosted 2/11/2013 8:40:19 AM
Just Cause 2
Final Fantasy 13-2
Star Ocean 4 Int
---
I survived the Apocalyps3 and the Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.
http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=Ajescent
#3mogar002Posted 2/11/2013 8:42:14 AM
Ajescent posted...
Just Cause 2
Final Fantasy 13-2
Star Ocean 4 Int

FF13-2 and and SO4 you are confused.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#4thisranksPosted 2/11/2013 8:59:26 AM
mogar002 posted...
Ajescent posted...
Just Cause 2
Final Fantasy 13-2
Star Ocean 4 Int

Nah, he's not. Both are deserving of better than the detractors say about them, and by detractors i mean those who made assumptions about the games based on personal pre-conceived definitions they have for themselves and didn't get the game they expected.

Considering that every game in my collection has at least one detractor i would say every one is.

But if you want me to pick out a specific title then i'll use The Last Rebellion.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#5OnDiscDLCPosted 2/11/2013 9:02:29 AM
Star Ocean 4
Demon's Souls
GTA4
#6osboesPosted 2/11/2013 9:11:39 AM
There have been one or two decent Star Wars games awash the sea of rubbish ones. I'm not sure if we expected them to suck but Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars Battlefront were really good titles.
#7docholliday504(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:15:24 AM
osboes posted...
There have been one or two decent Star Wars games awash the sea of rubbish ones. I'm not sure if we expected them to suck but Knights of the Old Republic, and Star Wars Battlefront were really good titles.

Agree KOTOR is a fantastic example. The PC crowd probabaly knew that game was going to be good, but at the time it seemed like one more Star Wars release (at the time it seemed like there was a new SW game every week). Now its almost always on a short list of the greatest RPG's ever made.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, Persona 3
#8MadDewgPosted 2/11/2013 9:21:34 AM(edited)
Even back in the day, games that where based on cartoons/movies was always expected to suck ass. That changed when I first played ducktales on the nes back in the day, that game was made out of 100 percent greatness. Ever since then, any game and arcade that is based on a cartoon/movie/show yet had either capcom's or konami's name on the cover/cabinet, you already knew you were in for a good time, lol. (At least it was this way with any capcom/konami nes, snes, arcade and genesis game).
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, fire emblem awakening, one piece pirate warriors, borderlands 2, rogue galaxy, fire emblem radiant dawn, dust:
#9mogar002Posted 2/11/2013 9:30:14 AM
thisranks posted...
mogar002 posted...
Ajescent posted...
Just Cause 2
Final Fantasy 13-2
Star Ocean 4 Int

Nah, he's not. Both are deserving of better than the detractors say about them, and by detractors i mean those who made assumptions about the games based on personal pre-conceived definitions they have for themselves and didn't get the game they expected.

Considering that every game in my collection has at least one detractor i would say every one is.

But if you want me to pick out a specific title then i'll use The Last Rebellion.

Using big words that you don't know the meaning of will not make people think you are smart. CAZ failed with it and so will you.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#10FoxtrotDelta88Posted 2/11/2013 9:38:17 AM
mogar002 posted...
Ajescent posted...
Just Cause 2
Final Fantasy 13-2
Star Ocean 4 Int

Just because you think they are bad games, doesn't mean that someone else thinks they're bad. I've heard people say they hate Resident Evil ORC, i have it on the 360 and while not the greatest game i ever played, it is fun. Same with Watchmen the end is nigh and The Amazing Spider-man, i have both and i love them.
---
I believe in Jim Gordon...I believe in Harvey Dent...I believe in Gotham City