This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy IX Vs. Legend of Dragoon

#1theatrical_catPosted 2/11/2013 11:20:31 PM(edited)
Final Fantasy IX Vs. Legend of Dragoon; Which Is Better? - Results (402 votes)
Final Fantasy IX is better.
36.57% (147 votes)
Legend of Dragoon is better.
50.5% (203 votes)
Both games are equally awesome.
9.95% (40 votes)
Both games are equally awful.
1.99% (8 votes)
Never played either.
1% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
These games specifically because the two came out around the same time (about 8 months difference between Japan releases, 5 months difference between US releases) and are aimed at the same type of gamers.

Got both off PSN recently and have played a reasonable amount of each. And I have to say, FFIX blows LoD out of the water. Better graphics, better music, better story, better characters, better gameplay, better pretty much everything.

I'm frankly astounded that I actually like a FF game (I've played both VII and XII before and both were pretty terrible to me), but IX is just such a solid game. See? I don't hate all JRPGs! Just the bad ones.

BTW: Thanks to those who suggested I play FFIX when I asked which FF game to play a while back. You guys know what's up.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#2theofficefan99Posted 2/11/2013 11:19:33 PM
Final Fantasy IX.

This isn't even a contest.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3VorzalPosted 2/11/2013 11:20:12 PM
Legend of Dragoon.

---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
#4theofficefan99Posted 2/11/2013 11:21:59 PM
Vorzal posted...
Legend of Dragoon.

Tell that to Legend of Dragoon's 74% average in comparison to Final Fantasy IX's 94% average.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#5nekrothingPosted 2/11/2013 11:25:52 PM
Legend of Dragoon was a good game, but the translation was terrible. It felt like the person that translated the game only spoke Japanese as a second language and English as a third, and they did it in their spare time, for free.

If Legend of Dragoon ever got remade, I'd love to see a re-translation from somebody more competent. Kind of like DS Chrono Trigger.
#6theatrical_cat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:28:04 PM
nekrothing posted...
Legend of Dragoon was a good game, but the translation was terrible. It felt like the person that translated the game only spoke Japanese as a second language and English as a third, and they did it in their spare time, for free.

If Legend of Dragoon ever got remade, I'd love to see a re-translation from somebody more competent. Kind of like DS Chrono Trigger.

I'd consider a lot more wrong with LoD than just the translation. But if there ever were a remake that polished a lot of the rougher aspects of the game, I'd be pretty interested. It's got a lot of potential, it just feels squandered.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#7mogar002Posted 2/11/2013 11:28:08 PM
LoD was a poor man's FF, FFIX is one of the best.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#8theofficefan99Posted 2/11/2013 11:28:14 PM
nekrothing posted...

It just feels like a knock-off Final Fantasy that isn't as good as any of them.
---
#9theofficefan99Posted 2/11/2013 11:28:32 PM
mogar002 posted...
LoD was a poor man's FF, FFIX is one of the best.

This
---
#10DaggeraxePosted 2/11/2013 11:35:11 PM
I love RPG music, but Legend of Dragoon is the only RPG I've played where I really dislike the music. Still a good game though.