This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy IX Vs. Legend of Dragoon

#41ArcadianGenesisPosted 2/12/2013 4:03:32 AM
Final Fantasy IX is my favorite of the series and one of the greatest RPGs of all time. That's tough competition for ANY game. Legend of Dragoon is a quality game, but it can't stand up to the mighty FFIX.

Yet somehow, my vote only put FFIX ahead by a single vote. Wow.
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#42Juvart24Posted 2/12/2013 4:08:12 AM
I like both.
---
"A true hero turns into a werewolf, kills a village full of idiots, then pimps their women out for profit to buy new armor" - Exar0s
GT: Juvart24
#43Sera_Aikawa7Posted 2/12/2013 5:07:41 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
theatrical_cat posted...
gilv3r posted...
Legend of Dragoon is faaar better. IX is actually one of the more mediocre final fantasy games.

Apparently not, because I played quite a bit of VII, and it was way worse.

LoD is just such a generic game. If it had any kind of personality, maybe it'd do better, but the only real different thing it had going for it was the Addition system, which was just kind of a cheap timing puzzle for attacks. And an incredibly inconvenient magic system. And the tiniest item bag in known history. (I filled up my inventory to the max within an hour of playing. WTF.) There was a lot wrong with LoD, is my point.

Hence its 74% on Metacritic in comparison to FFIX's 94%.

Have you played LoD yet?
#44badboyPosted 2/12/2013 5:09:41 AM(edited)
LoD is not very polished, graphically it wasn't that good. But the gameplay and story were great, and that's the important part. However, "pro" review sites care much about graphics, that's why they gave low scores.
#45Mass_CarrierPosted 2/12/2013 5:49:46 AM
theatrical_cat posted...
Aarosmashguy27 posted...
I legit liked Legend of Dragoon more. This is not an alt. I'm not going to argue because I pretty much knew the results of the poll before I voted.

In a totally respectful, not mean-spirited way: why? I just can't see how LoD beats out FFIX in any area.

1. Nostalgia for it being one of my first RPG's.

2. I liked the simple timed combat system and dragoons are cool.

3. The dialogue never bothered me so the story was interesting along with the music.

All this applies to me. As I've grown older, I now realize that the translation is awful, but I didn't know that at the time. Still, as it was my first RPG, it was like my first love.

That said, FF9 was a close second, and for years was my second RPG love (and still easily my favorite FF). It's just that I got LoD first. The point is, I am heavily biased towards LoD.
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#46AstroshakPosted 2/12/2013 5:58:25 AM
FF9 was Squaresoft's response to the general negative feedback they were getting from the direction they were taking the FF series, the technological direction they were headed in starting with FF6, but culminating with FF8. It was an attempt to appease gamers who wanted "a return to the Crystals".

It was not the best FF, but nor was it the worst. As an RPG, it was decent.

Legend of Dragoon was one of several RPG's made by Squaresoft competitors to try to cash in on the suddenly popular RPG genre. While it did nothing well enough to really put it ahead of Final Fantasy, it did everything well enough that it was actually a fairly decent game. Just as FF9, as an RPG, it was decent.

Neither RPG was great, neither was garbage. Both were merely decent. Shame there are two TIE options in that poll - Tied for greatness, and Tied for crappiness. There was nothing in between for me to select.
#47freakofnature30Posted 2/12/2013 6:05:02 AM
For me, it's Legend of Dragoon, and it's not even close.
---
"In a trail of fire I know we will be free again..."
PSN: freakofnature300
#48MechaNapoleonPosted 2/12/2013 6:12:23 AM(edited)
As much as I hate FF9, its still a quality game. LoD on the otherhand is just bad-to-mediocre, but has its cult following. And no, LoD wasn't bad just because of the graphics, the story (as far as the US translation is concerned, which is all I know) is dumb as bricks. Basically a Power Rangers RPG.
#49DredjPosted 2/12/2013 6:29:06 AM
LoD is an excellent game.

Madness Herrooooo

I like the combat more then FF9 because it's more engaging, and the Dragoon system was really cool too and involved some strategy. FF9 combat might as well be FF13 compared to LoD.

The story was good to and invoked FF7 in killing off a main character, possibly 2 as I don't remember if another died of left because she felt to weak and was holding back the party. There is also a really awesome rival, called Lloyd iirc, who I wanted so bad to become and ally and join you, like Abel in Star Ocean 3.

Anyway, I like both games and LoD should not be underestimated.
#50JerokTerojokkePosted 2/12/2013 6:29:13 AM
I've beaten FFIX twice and it's my least favorite playstation final fantasy. But I only got to disc 2 of legend of dragoon and I really didn't like it. FFix it is