This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy IX Vs. Legend of Dragoon

#51OmegaBladesPosted 2/12/2013 6:14:53 AM
I enjoyed Dragoon more. I liked its battle mechanic more, the story, the boss fights and the music. IX had a great boss theme, but it was more meh to me. But Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) was the best out of the three, which came out around the time FFIX came out, but was of course overshadowed by IX no surprise and got no real sales.
---
Steam, PSN, XBL & Nintendo ID: OmegaBlades
3DS: 1032-1408-2462
#52KOTRwhoopsPosted 2/12/2013 6:19:06 AM
Both games I love but FFIX is the clear clear winner here.
---
PLAYING - Minecraft (360), DmC (PC), ZombiU (WU), Ni No Kuni (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#53BigAl519Posted 2/12/2013 6:26:56 AM
mogar002 posted...
LoD was a poor man's FF, FFIX is one of the best.

Completely agree. But you and I both know how this pool will go, the old school gamers will mostly vote FFIX then the guys who have never played either will come along, check the pool, see that LoD is losing, and pick it because its cool to stand out. LoD was an average game at best.
---
A real gamer will buy any system and enjoy it, a tool will sit on a forum trying to bash one or the other!
#54nouseravailablePosted 2/12/2013 7:22:10 AM
FF9, i didnt liked Dragoon.
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D, Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#55nihilist212Posted 2/12/2013 7:30:51 AM
Legend of Dragoon for me. It's one of the few games I would love a remake or a sequel for.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#56gundamaniacx20aPosted 2/12/2013 7:40:27 AM
Legend of Dragoon all the way. One of my favorite RPG's of all time. Don't really understand why people hate on its magic system, it takes at most 3 turns or so to charge up DRG level 1, even less if you can knock out the higher level additions. It had a great story too, and the Cutscenes were pretty awesome for its time.
---
PSN: RX--Zero
i7-970@3.2 | Intel DX58SO2 | 12GB Kingston @1600 | 2x GTX 570's | Intel 80gb SSD | various HDD's
#57docholliday504Posted 2/12/2013 9:10:21 AM
IX is one of the best RPG's ever made. Legend of the Dragoon was just one of 100 clones made to try to capitalize on the RPG craze the PSX-era Final Fantasy games created.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Halo 4, Resident Evil 6, Persona 3
#58theshovellerPosted 2/12/2013 9:15:13 AM
I'm obviously skewed in my opinion given that I've only played Legend of Dragoon for a majority of its game, and FF9 for only a tiny bit, but I voted for Legend of Dragoon. I just really like the whole "character innate elemental" thing and the whole Dragoon Transformation system, coupled with the combo attacks. You did a bit more than just hit X to attack and wait for the next guy's turn to pop up.

Plus, I didn't think FF9 looked really appealing to me. I think I was already transitioning out of a lot of those styles of RPGs by then.
#59theatrical_cat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 9:20:09 AM
gundamaniacx20a posted...
Legend of Dragoon all the way. One of my favorite RPG's of all time. Don't really understand why people hate on its magic system, it takes at most 3 turns or so to charge up DRG level 1, even less if you can knock out the higher level additions. It had a great story too, and the Cutscenes were pretty awesome for its time.

The magic was annoying because you had to either charge up your dragoon powers which, if you had trouble doing the more complicated Additions (like most people) meant it would take a few turns to build up a sizable amount or use one of your magic items, which are inconvenient in their own way. Say I have 5 Burn Outs. That means I have to take up 5 slots of my already very limited item bag (32 slots total, you s****** me?) along with my healing items, status items, Angel Prayers and other magic attacks. If the items would have at least stacked, this would have been no real issue.

Compare to FFIX: select a spell from the respective character's skill menu and cast. Boom. Done. No muss, no fuss. So simple.

I really wish I could like LoD as much as I do FFIX, but there's just too much wrong with it.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#60theatrical_cat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 9:25:34 AM
theshoveller posted...
I'm obviously skewed in my opinion given that I've only played Legend of Dragoon for a majority of its game, and FF9 for only a tiny bit, but I voted for Legend of Dragoon. I just really like the whole "character innate elemental" thing and the whole Dragoon Transformation system, coupled with the combo attacks. You did a bit more than just hit X to attack and wait for the next guy's turn to pop up.

Plus, I didn't think FF9 looked really appealing to me. I think I was already transitioning out of a lot of those styles of RPGs by then.

I felt the same way about LoD at first. I like the idea of Additions , I like that each character and enemy has a clear and obvious element they're associated with, I think Dragoons are cool, and I like that there's an indicator to tell you how close you are to a battle. The game's not horrible, it just has a lot more bad than good.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.