This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm tired of getting f***ing inferior ports on the PS3.

#1Zora_PrincePosted 2/12/2013 6:09:19 PM
While I think the PS3 won in exclusives, tons of great games that appeared on both systems have been lesser versions...

Bayonetta: One of my favorite games of all time. Virtually inferior in every way on the PS3.

Dues Ex: Human Revolution: Currently playing and really enjoying, but the loading times are brutal in comparison to the 360s.

Bethesda RPGs: Game looks worse and runs worse. Plus, PS3 hardware is hard to work with, hence why we haven't gotten the DLC in Skyrim.

Some people will want to blame Microsoft for "holding them back." I'll quote our video game developer on this board, AyumiSqueezetoy.

the PS3 hardware isn't very much more powerful than the 360's (so funny that people think it is so much more powerful because it's hard to use. the myth of "untapped potential"), but that aside, it isn't laziness that results in PS3 issues.

Time is money. You have 2 years to do a game, say, and that's a set amount. If it takes you 30% longer to access the same amount of power in the PS3, then you have to look at what you have. You have a budget and you have to put people on features. If you need to spend more time just making the PS3 version the same(and I'm using PS3 since it was brought up, but this is *any* project, on any set of platforms), then those resources have to come from somewhere. So what do you do? Cut features? Cut bug fixes? Cut levels?

The end of a project typically is 60 to 80 (or more - i've cracked 100 hours many times) per week, and everything over 40 is unpaid overtime. I'm basically working for half-wage. And you want to call me lazy because I don't have time to spend another 50 hours working around obtuse hardware and lousy libraries somewhere?

While I'm happy I got a PS3, I'm tired of these crappier ports. I will probably pick up a 360 when they become very cheap for that reason (and original XBox games).
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#2ThamauturgePosted 2/12/2013 6:10:11 PM
Most companies don't have a problem with making multiplats up to par on the PS3 anymore. Bethesda is the only one that still has issues...
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#3Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 6:10:55 PM
Thamauturge posted...
Most companies don't have a problem with making multiplats up to par on the PS3 anymore. Bethesda is the only one that still has issues...

Even when they run, it's usually still inferior compared to the 360 version, whether it be in graphics or loading times.
---
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
#4shawnmckPosted 2/12/2013 6:13:57 PM
^ Bethesda games are open world and are more taxing.
The XB 360 gets better ports of such games because of its better RAM architecture.

The loading times of Deus Ex is because the blu-ray drive of the PS3 is slow compared to the DVD drive of the XB 360.

There is no excuse for Bayonetta....that was just a poorly done port.
#5kcypher2000Posted 2/12/2013 6:15:10 PM
Thamauturge posted...

Nice try but bethesda is not the only one still. Sad thing is that when ps3. Has the superior port the two are so identical its hard to tell them apart. When xbox is better its significantly better.
#6Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 6:15:12 PM
shawnmck posted...
^ Bethesda games are open world and are more taxing.
The XB 360 gets better ports of such games because of its better RAM architecture.

The loading times of Deus Ex is because the blu-ray drive of the PS3 is slow compared to the DVD drive of the XB 360.

There is no excuse for Bayonetta....that was just a poorly done port.

I would buy that game for 60$ new without the ability to port my Platinumed trophy data onto it for the 360 version of that game.
---
#7faris_ruhiPosted 2/12/2013 6:16:55 PM(edited)
Bayonetta, half-assed port, I agree. But thankfully Platinum Games learned their lesson, and handle development on the ps3 now personally, usually resulting in superior or at the very least, on par ps3 versions of their games.

Deus Ex Human Revolution - an average of 4 seconds extra loading time (when comparing the installed versions on both consoles) is considered brutal now? Especially when loading times are almost always around the 20 second mark? Wow.

Bethesda RPG. Half agree. If most other devs can develop on par ports now (or close) on the ps3, they have no excuse not to. Especially this far after the console's release and developing such high profile titles.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog in order of release, Current game: Saints Row (360)
#8userfrigginamePosted 2/12/2013 6:17:21 PM
So you've experienced playing these games extensively both on the 360 and the PS3 without owning a PS3? I'm not doubting that you have, but I would think that it would be just a better overall experience for you that if you don't have a 360, that you just play whatever you want on the PS3, and be blissfully unaware of any inferiority. I played Deus Ex on the PS3, and I didn't notice long loading times cuz I didn't have another version of it to compare it to.
#9Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 6:27:19 PM
userfrigginame posted...
So you've experienced playing these games extensively both on the 360 and the PS3 without owning a PS3? I'm not doubting that you have, but I would think that it would be just a better overall experience for you that if you don't have a 360, that you just play whatever you want on the PS3, and be blissfully unaware of any inferiority. I played Deus Ex on the PS3, and I didn't notice long loading times cuz I didn't have another version of it to compare it to.

The thing is, I love these games, Bayonetta, Dues Ex, and Fallout 3, and I want to experience them in the best way I can.
---
#10ShineboxerPosted 2/12/2013 6:29:26 PM
2005:Xbox 360 released
2006:PS3 released
"No games, and multiplats look better on 360?"
"Sony Fanboy says, Yeah but PS3 is vastly superior because of cell technology, games will take time to develop on the system"
2007:"No games, and multiplats look better on 360?"
"Sony Fanboy says, Yeah but PS3 is vastly superior, devs are already making better games for PS3 and Xbox will no longer be choice."
2008:"Still no dev support?"
"Sony Fanboy says, Yeah but PS3 is vastly superior, devs are making games for PS3, next year.
2009:"still no dev support?"
"Sony Fanboy says,Well soon this will call change next year...
2010:"still no actual dev support?"
"Sony Fanboy says, Next year will be the year for ps3 dominance"
2011:"still no actual dev support?"
"Sony Fanboy says, just you wait next year"...
2012:"still no dev support?"
"Sony fanboy says, next year..."
2013:Xbox 720 released, "still no actual dev support, Xbox owner says well, I had tons of fun playing the best games both first and third party this gen, now it's time to go on to new fun games on a new console."
"Sony fanboy says, well we got the last guardian, agent, and Kh3, oh wait.... "
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD