This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is RDR a more boring version of GTA4?

#1nekrothingPosted 2/13/2013 1:33:19 AM
Or is it better than GTA4? $20 on Amazon, thinking about getting it.
#2Vergil92Posted 2/13/2013 1:36:53 AM
It's a hell of a lot better than GTA IV gameplay wise, and I thought it was worth the $20 I paid for it.

That being said, I haven't touched since I beat the story mode due to lack of interest I felt towards most of the side mission stuff.
---
PSN: Mr_Scott_Kennedy
#3Evil_GogetaPosted 2/13/2013 1:38:57 AM
It`s not even close to a western GTAIV let alone a boring version of. RDR is one of the best games this gen and I rarely play R* games
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (WiiU) MH3GHD, (PS3) Awaiting games, (Vita) PSO2
#4king_maddenPosted 2/13/2013 1:38:59 AM
I thought both were pretty fun, but for me it worked like this.

RDR was more fun at first taking in the environment and doing all types of cool things just messing around, but after that the story and the rest of the game didnt hold me enough to completely finish it.

GTA4 didnt have that initial blast of fun for me, but it was enjoyable enough for me to finish. not saying it was great or a masterpiece, but it kept my attention.
#5torch00Posted 2/13/2013 1:44:55 AM
RDR is better than GTA4 in every single way. Better story, better characters, better gameplay, better open world fun, just plain better.

After I beat GTA4's story, I didn't give a s*** about it, which is unusual for a GTA game. After I completed RDR's story on the other hand I still wanted to play more, to 100% it, and to roam around the beautiful terrain, play mini games, hunt, etc.

If you get RDR just make sure it's the GoTY edition.
#6rumbalumbaPosted 2/13/2013 1:53:02 AM
yes, it's as boring. total nothingness in-between towns. once you've played the first hour, you've seen it all.
#7ThePuddingManPosted 2/13/2013 1:56:10 AM
No. GTA IV is a giant piece of s*** by comparison. RDR is one of the best games this gen.
#8anonymous46773Posted 2/13/2013 2:00:04 AM
rumbalumba posted...
yes, it's as boring. total nothingness in-between towns. once you've played the first hour, you've seen it all.

Clearly hasn't played the game.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#9king_maddenPosted 2/13/2013 2:01:56 AM
rumbalumba posted...

this is kind of how I felt. the setting was amazing, but after that first town, pretty much everything else looked just like it.

I dont see how its considered one of the best games this gen, I figured people must feel like that because it was the first GTA like open world cowboy game. There is nothing to really compare it to in that regard. GTA has many games before it, it had a been there done that feel, it just looked better doing it.
#10SophisticationPosted 2/13/2013 2:21:33 AM
king_madden posted...
rumbalumba posted...

this is kind of how I felt. the setting was amazing, but after that first town, pretty much everything else looked just like it.

I dont see how its considered one of the best games this gen, I figured people must feel like that because it was the first GTA like open world cowboy game. There is nothing to really compare it to in that regard. GTA has many games before it, it had a been there done that feel, it just looked better doing it.

No way, GUN was open world... Arguably better at times, too. I dunno, RDR was good -- GTA, all of them, suck to me. I've never liked any GTA game. Never one time. I hate thug and mafia garbage... I hate rap and hippity hop... I just can't relate to the thug mentality I suppose.

RDR was good, at its best, before Mexico -- Anything after was all downhill... That's my take on things. I found myself having more fun hunting and doing random side quest than I did the main game though.
---
As a true sophistocrat I am the best at what I do--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat