This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is RDR a more boring version of GTA4?

#51VincentKryptPosted 2/13/2013 4:25:16 PM
Both games are fantastic.
---
I know the pieces fit cos I watched them fall away....
#52torch00Posted 2/13/2013 4:28:38 PM
AwesomePS3gamer posted...
torch00 posted...
midgar posted...

lol opinions

Such as the opinions that RDR is the best game this gen?

lol opinions, indeed.

Oh please, wise sir, what is the best game this gen. Share with us.

Pay no attention to him, people like him probably skip all cutscenes and pay no attention to the story in games. Red Dead Redemption IS one of, if not the best game this gen, disagree all you want people, not going to change that it is.

I don't know if I'd put RDR as the best game this gen, but I could see why others might hold that view. It is certainly a damn great game.

Hell, there are games that I don't even like this gen, but I'm objective enough to see a great game for what it is even if I don't like it.
#53Jason_HudsonPosted 2/13/2013 4:38:54 PM
RDR is GTAIV set in a wild west setting. If you hate the idea of Westerns then you won't like it. However, if you have any interest in them, then it's definitely worth playing.

I disliked GTAIV a lot, but RDR was game of the generation for me. I can't see anything topping it. Wonderful storyline, great graphics (such as looking across the desert on horseback on a setting sun), likable characters, plenty of things to do and they have a zombie DLC that actually gets zombies correct.

There are a few boring parts in the opening hours of the game (mainly the tutorial), and the multiplayer is take it or leave it for me, but other than that it's outstanding.

Honestly, unless you are repulsed by westerns, then get it.
---
"My name is Spartan Jay, the greatest Black Ops 2 player of all time. Because I am on your team, this team will win" ~ Spartan Jay
#54jorgestevensonPosted 2/13/2013 5:29:35 PM
How can RDR be the best game of this generation when -

(1) The shooting is so broken that they had to implement a time-slowdown/invincibility mechanism just so that you wouldn't throw your controller through your TV when trying to hit an enemy on horseback? This is what you are doing on roughly 1/3 of the missions in the game - shooting from horseback at other enemies who are on horseback. It's impossible without deadeye, yet deadeye remains unexplained. In "Hardcore" mode they made it so in the deadeye you have to actually click your trigger on the bad guys. That's like...not hardcore at all.

(2) The controls are tedious? You have to use deadeye all the time - why isn't that mapped to one of the keys on the control pad? How come every time I have to enter mandatory cheat mode, they make me open up the menu, find the potion, and then drink it? How come in order to fast travel I have to open up the menu, select my campsite, wait for the camp screen to load, and then select my town? Why do I have to hold a button just to run? We solved that problem in the late 1990s.

(3) The game has platforming elements that are absolutely awful? The climbing mechanics would have been embarrassing for a PS2 game. This was a PS3 game released well into our current generation. Years after Uncharted and Assassins Creed. Years after the Saboteur. And yet they can't implement any sort of decent climbing.

(4) Half the missions involve 5-10 minutes of mindless banter as you ride on horseback with the mission-giver to the mission starting point du-jour? Why can't we just have a button that skips the talk? I get it, you have to have the Irish guy make stereotypical drunken Irish jokes, and you have to have the Indian guy make stereotypical wise man Indian statements. But why can't I just skip ahead?

What the hell was this game about, anyway? If this dude wants to just get back with his family, who incidentally are on one of only like 4 or 5 farms in the entire game, why doesn't he just go look for them instead of doing everybody's chores?
#55Ben__AffleckPosted 2/13/2013 5:38:50 PM
jorgestevenson posted...

(1) The shooting is so broken that they had to implement a time-slowdown/invincibility mechanism just so that you wouldn't throw your controller through your TV when trying to hit an enemy on horseback? This is what you are doing on roughly 1/3 of the missions in the game - shooting from horseback at other enemies who are on horseback. It's impossible without deadeye, yet deadeye remains unexplained. In "Hardcore" mode they made it so in the deadeye you have to actually click your trigger on the bad guys. That's like...not hardcore at all.

(2) The controls are tedious? You have to use deadeye all the time - why isn't that mapped to one of the keys on the control pad? How come every time I have to enter mandatory cheat mode, they make me open up the menu, find the potion, and then drink it? How come in order to fast travel I have to open up the menu, select my campsite, wait for the camp screen to load, and then select my town? Why do I have to hold a button just to run? We solved that problem in the late 1990s.

(3) The game has platforming elements that are absolutely awful? The climbing mechanics would have been embarrassing for a PS2 game. This was a PS3 game released well into our current generation. Years after Uncharted and Assassins Creed. Years after the Saboteur. And yet they can't implement any sort of decent climbing.

(4) Half the missions involve 5-10 minutes of mindless banter as you ride on horseback with the mission-giver to the mission starting point du-jour? Why can't we just have a button that skips the talk? I get it, you have to have the Irish guy make stereotypical drunken Irish jokes, and you have to have the Indian guy make stereotypical wise man Indian statements. But why can't I just skip ahead?

What the hell was this game about, anyway? If this dude wants to just get back with his family, who incidentally are on one of only like 4 or 5 farms in the entire game, why doesn't he just go look for them instead of doing everybody's chores?

no worries, bro! you just have awful taste in games. a lot of people do!
---
you just got Affleck'd
#56_Shikoba_Posted 2/13/2013 5:45:59 PM(edited)
jorgestevenson posted...

(1) Dead eye is a staple in the games. It was in the first game as well. Shooting guys on horseback wasn't impossible, you just happened to use dead eye as a crutch and therefore never got any good at it. Also given the awesome physics engine the game has, who doesn't like seeing the animations in slow motion?

(2) I don't even know where to begin. Dead eye is optional. Fast travel can be done with coaches. Triggering dead eye is easy. Using a potion takes all of 5 seconds.

(3) The only platforming that comes to mind is the entire game is the burning barn mission and that was maybe an entire 30 seconds of climbing. There are probably a handful of others, but come on it was hardly present at all.

(4) You can skip some of them. Some you can't. It has to do with character/story development. It really wasn't that big of a deal.

Did you even pay attention to the story at all? There's a reason he he doesn't just go back to them.
---
Nintendo Network: Shikoba
PSN: Bad_Brains
#57LeadPipeCinchePosted 2/14/2013 8:31:39 AM
jorgestevenson posted...

weird i can hit enemies on horseback without deadeye.
you just have horrid aim and cant shoot worth a ****.
thats not the games fault..thats yours for sucking.
---
My little men: Hayden Alexander Steele (born: 8/9/2006 at 8:38AM) & Conner Leigh Steele (born: 10/7/2008 at 9:16pm).