This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How we play videogames hasn't changed in a very long time...

#1AssaultMonkey9Posted 2/13/2013 2:12:24 PM
The fact that PS1, PS2, PS3 and presumably PS4 all have basically the same controller imputs (even with fancy touch screen) is a little sad.

Online gaming for consoles has been by FAR the biggest new addition, but how new is it really? Dreamcast had you playing Quake Arena online, PS2 had FFXI online.

PS3 and 360 transformed online, and additions of multimedia stores built in is amazing.

But what (if anything) will PS4 bring to the table besides better graphics? While the Wii was more of a gimmick than a revolution to gamers, it marked one of the few times companies attempted to rethink the gaming experience.

If you were to ask someone in 1994, playing the SNES, what games of the future look like, don't you think they would have said VR, not dual analog sticks?

Just my 2 cents/ .02 dollars
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni, Dead Space 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, AC3
PSN: AssaultMonkey150
#2boofiePosted 2/13/2013 2:19:04 PM
As far as I can see, every attempt to move away from a classic controller has resulted in something horrible. Classic controller carries the day where innovation delivers some awkward experience. Go classic controller! March into the future and smack down the silly ideas that are coming our way. I salute you.
#3riddlebox89Posted 2/13/2013 2:22:30 PM
AssaultMonkey9 posted...
The fact that PS1, PS2, PS3 and presumably PS4 all have basically the same controller imputs (even with fancy touch screen) is a little sad.

Online gaming for consoles has been by FAR the biggest new addition, but how new is it really? Dreamcast had you playing Quake Arena online, PS2 had FFXI online.

PS3 and 360 transformed online, and additions of multimedia stores built in is amazing.

But what (if anything) will PS4 bring to the table besides better graphics? While the Wii was more of a gimmick than a revolution to gamers, it marked one of the few times companies attempted to rethink the gaming experience.

If you were to ask someone in 1994, playing the SNES, what games of the future look like, don't you think they would have said VR, not dual analog sticks?

Just my 2 cents/ .02 dollars

Sad? No it's not sad, if it isn't broken don't fix it, there's nothing wrong with the design for the Playstation controllers, do you honestly think they'd have stuck with the same design since the dual shock for PS1 if there was something wrong with it?

PS3 and 360 didn't transform online, it's the exact same concept, only thing new is different games to play online.

They didn't rethink it, they just reintroduced something they tried before but didn't catch on, and IMO, they shouldn't have tried it at all, motion controlled gaming is crap, when I play games, I play games to relax, not wave my arms too and fro like some homeless nut in a crack house.

Duel analogue sticks? Funny...I had no idea that my controller was an actual game.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#4trizznillaPosted 2/13/2013 2:34:42 PM
As iconic as they are, the ps3 controllers could be better if they would gravitate to something more ergonomic. I mean, it's pretty much as part of our culture as the Atari joystick, right? I want the ps4 to accept any and all manner of Bluetooth input, and just open it up to the market. Keep using your ps3 controllers, let me sync my tablet up to it! If I could sync up a kindle fire, I wouldn't feel the need to buy a wiiU and wait forever for no games to come out. Let me hook up a midi keyboard, so I can use a piano to control my mech in Steel Battalion. Let me choose how to have fun. And while I'm demanding the impossible from the universe, I'd like all games from this day forward to have the y-axis inverted
---
Casually Hardcore.
#5PhaseSlaethePosted 2/13/2013 2:35:06 PM
boofie posted...
As far as I can see, every attempt to move away from a classic controller has resulted in something horrible. Classic controller carries the day where innovation delivers some awkward experience. Go classic controller! March into the future and smack down the silly ideas that are coming our way. I salute you.

Casuals just don't like the change.

And hardcores think they don't need it.
#6KaleliskalelPosted 2/13/2013 2:40:13 PM
It is too difficult to change the default periferal without making it to game specific, look T the wii mote, when you play mario you still hold it sideways like a controller. The ps3 controller is very ergonomic, have you ever held a nes controller? Go standard controller i like the dual shock and i hope it never changes
---
When ps3 launched it was banned from export because the processor was so powerful. Tell me again about how powerful you gaming pc is.
#7ThePatrickPosted 2/13/2013 2:41:42 PM
The whole concept of being in VR headsets and such was always stupid from a gamer's standpoint. I mean, what's the point of that bulky, clunky thing that would make gaming something where you couldn't just do normal things normal people do all the time like answer a phone, eat, drink...be able to say something to someone else, be able to look over at other things, etc.

Hooking a controller up to something and plugging it into the TV has been the way since the '70s and I don't think that's going to change too much.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored