This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AngryJoe Colonial Marines review

#61Bestia_SomniaPosted 2/15/2013 8:57:58 AM
suprsolider posted...
I hate Angry Joe.

He isn't a gamer, not even close.

He is a wannabe gamer. Look at his reviews, he doesn't know what he is talking about most of the time, he only reviews the big games that are on 360 and PC, PS3 doesn't exist in AJ's world.
Then he claims to represent the gamers out there, like he speaks on my behalf.

I don't care about Aliens Colonial marines because the story trailer already contradicts Aliens and Alien 3, so for that reason alone I am not touching that game. Plus a friend spoiled that a certain character who is suppose to be DEAD is alive in the game, which is bullcrap and contradicts the other movies in the series.

Most reviewers only review one version of a game. Joe doesn't get free review copies either. You can't seriously expect him to buy like 3 copies of every game.
#62Evel138Posted 2/15/2013 9:44:19 AM(edited)
I'm a subscriber to his channel.

I could do with out the over articulation of every gesture and the over pronunciation of every spoken syllable.....it can get a bit old IMHO, but he is by far one of, if not the most talented fan reviews out there, in terms of production, depth, etc.

The only problem I've had with him recently was his DMC review. I think it was a little too convenient that he starts it off by putting a good deal of time into how dislikable the characters are and how the original DMC was just more fun and fancy free........THEN going on to pretty much praise everything else about the game.

To me, it just seemed too much like he wanted to rate the game higher, but didn't feel like taking any backlash or BS from the haters....so whether the beginning of that review was just throwing the haters a bone or he genuinely felt that way about the characters....I don't know.......but the beginning of the review seemed to be rather incohesive with the body of the review.

Edit: Oh, and regarding his ACM review......its sad, but hard to refute the criticisms he's clearly illustrated. Not going to keep me from buying the game though.....many games I've enjoyed that the critics panned.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#63Luthor_Posted 2/15/2013 9:47:14 AM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
carsauce posted...
I like this guy, but this guy just follows other media LOL I still enjoy the game no matter how much he hates this game.

Follows other media? Did you watch the video? His opinion is based on his experience, not some stupid media trend. He shows gameplay evidence. Heck, he's probably played the game more than most of the reviwers seeing as how he had legitimate interest in Colonial Marines as a gamer since day-1 and doesn't get free review copies - something which tends to sometimes blind a reviwers opinion. Joe has no trouble making his real opinion known, even if he gets hated on like people in this topic are doing. Many of his points are valid. The story (among other things) in Colonial Marined is truly is a nonsensical piece of trash. I don't know how any true Aliens fan can defend such butchery of the universe's lore.

I for one, don't care what he thinks of CM or what you think or what I think since I didn't buy it and will continue NOT to buy it. I dislike Angry Joe because I have watched most of his reviews and its just the same BS you read on the message boards. Hence his new nickname Average Joe. I'm pretty sure he does get free copies of most of the games he reviews. He goes out and buys Mindjack and tears it a new one.....a game no one was even watching at all. Sonic Free Riders or something...tore that to pieces...another game only kids were buying which isn't his audience. Then you turn to his GW2 review where he slams SWTOR after getting lots of his fans to purchase it but then abandons them. His GW2 review was the only review out for the game for days on youtube. And its production quality of the GW2 review was tons better than his normal reviews. That to me screams advertisement. Let's see if he still plays the they can be in the 'Angry Army'
That is why I grew into dislike with him.

He still plays GW2 regularly.
---
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*
-GorillaOnRoof
#64Devilman_AmonPosted 2/15/2013 9:49:22 AM
jubjub360 posted...

I like aliens and I like DmC. Both are bashed by people.

Because maybe they don't think they are good games...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#65albanianx1Posted 2/15/2013 9:56:56 AM
lol at people hating on Angry Joe. In other words, just like every other review website or person who reviews a game and it doesn't get the score they liked.

Here's your tissues, there's a corner for you to cry on.
---
Bayern Munich is the strongest club in the world
PSN: eaglespirit
#66Devilman_AmonPosted 2/15/2013 9:57:57 AM
lmao at 2:19 in the video......dancing Alien
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#67albanianx1Posted 2/15/2013 10:08:51 AM

I could do with out the over articulation of every gesture and the over pronunciation of every spoken syllable.....it can get a bit old IMHO, but he is by far one of, if not the most talented fan reviews out there, in terms of production, depth, etc.

The only problem I've had with him recently was his DMC review. I think it was a little too convenient that he starts it off by putting a good deal of time into how dislikable the characters are and how the original DMC was just more fun and fancy free........THEN going on to pretty much praise everything else about the game.

To me, it just seemed too much like he wanted to rate the game higher, but didn't feel like taking any backlash or BS from the haters....so whether the beginning of that review was just throwing the haters a bone or he genuinely felt that way about the characters....I don't know.......but the beginning of the review seemed to be rather incohesive with the body of the review.

Edit: Oh, and regarding his ACM review......its sad, but hard to refute the criticisms he's clearly illustrated. Not going to keep me from buying the game though.....many games I've enjoyed that the critics panned.

He said the combat isn't as great once you go to higher difficulties due to picking a side to hurt demons with, which hurts the gameplay esp at a higher difficulty when you don't have time to think but act. That along with the main character and overly forced love interest and Virgil changing his personality completely, a 7/10 is pretty good.
---
#68Dirk_McHardpeckPosted 2/15/2013 10:14:20 AM
Angry Joe, you sir are no Ben Yahtzee.
#69Evel138Posted 2/15/2013 10:17:12 AM
albanianx1 posted...

He said the combat isn't as great once you go to higher difficulties due to picking a side to hurt demons with, which hurts the gameplay esp at a higher difficulty when you don't have time to think but act. That along with the main character and overly forced love interest and Virgil changing his personality completely, a 7/10 is pretty good.

The point is the lengths in which he stressed how unlikable the characters are in the reboot and how fancy free and fun (paraphrasing) the original game is/was.....then goes on to pretty much praise the game. I think if it didn't have the DMC title.....was a new IP.......he would have given it an 8. An 8 is what the tone of the review really spoke of imho. I just think the beginning of that review was a bit too convenient in effort to appease the haters.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#70albanianx1Posted 2/15/2013 10:40:32 AM
The point is the lengths in which he stressed how unlikable the characters are in the reboot and how fancy free and fun (paraphrasing) the original game is/was.....then goes on to pretty much praise the game. I think if it didn't have the DMC title.....was a new IP.......he would have given it an 8. An 8 is what the tone of the review really spoke of imho. I just think the beginning of that review was a bit too convenient in effort to appease the haters.
But they did rape the characters though, they're nothing like the originals and the change is a negative (note: in my opinion). It makes sense that some people drastically like the previous versions, as do I. I think AJ would have given it an 8/10 if it was a new IP as well, but that's the point. It wasn't. The characters were changed and a lot of the fans don't like the new changes to their personalities. That's like having no cut scenes in a MGS game and having an excellent game and then wondering why the reviewer may have cut a point off for little storyline compared to its predecessors? Every game from a franchise will have things to be compared to and if you don't do them as well as the past versions, you will get docked on it by some people.. which I think is valid and should be looked at. It's like Borderlands 3 not having interesting characters, that would be a massive turn off to me instantly.

I agree with AJ 100% on it, very good game, horrible change in terms of characters and none of the 2 protagonists or some of the changes for Vergil were good.. at all. I guess others liked them, I didn't. And the gameplay mechanic of having some weapons for some enemies and others for other enemies was just a horrible idea in a game like DMC, where it's all about using everything you have to clobber your opponents. I think it was implied that he would have given it a higher score as well, but it really doesn't deserve more/less than what he gave it, but to each his own.
---