This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Agree/Disagree: Trophies are just a modern version of "High Scores" ...

#21mjc0961Posted 2/14/2013 6:35:30 PM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Disagree - leaderboards are the modern version of High Scores.

Trophies are the modern version of bragging rights

such as:

1980's - "Last night I got to the Key in Pac-man"
1990's - "Last night I beat Emerald Weapon with just Cloud in FF7"
2000's - "Last night I beat Dark Bahamut with only Tidus in FFX"
2010's - "Last night I got the Dark Souls Platinum"

Another guy who has it right.

BurgerTime79 posted...
Not every game has a leader board, just like not every game in the arcades has a high score.

When it all boils down, all of them are simply a means in which you can show you accomplishments in a game to others. You could say "bragging rights", but that has such a negative feel to it these days. Those who are disagreeing to say leader boards and the high score, you're just arguing semantics.

Leader boards, high scores, trophies, achievements, they're all the same thing.

And another who has it wrong. They aren't the same thing at all. You not understanding what they all are is not other people arguing semantics. Educate yourself before posting about this subject in the future.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#22wstfldPosted 2/14/2013 6:38:19 PM
Disagree. Don't we still have high score lists?
---
Last Played: DmC (8.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD, StarCraft 2
#23BurgerTime79Posted 2/14/2013 6:38:45 PM
The fact that you feel the need to insult people for being what you call "wrong" just shows that we don't have to take what you say seriously.

They're all "Look at what I did", plan and simple.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#24Stanger5150Posted 2/14/2013 7:19:44 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
It's not an agree/disagree statement.

It's a fact. Gamers have been hunting achievements since day one.

It is indeed not an agree/disagree statement, but you got it wrong. It's incorrect. Trophies are not a modern version of high scores. This guy has it right. He is factually correct, you are not:

You_Need_A_Life posted...
Hmm, not really. I mean, if two people get the same Trophy, who's the better gamer? On the other hand, if one player scores 100,000,000 points and the other scores 250,000,000, there's a clear distinction between the two.

Furthermore, most Trophies are just a matter of time, and require very little to no skill to get. Simply beating a level in a game shouldn't amount to getting a high score, so I'm gonna disagree.

High scores were only one type of achievement back in the day.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Sly 4, Alice: Madness Returns, The Jungle Book, Mega Man X Collection, Super Mario Galaxy, Far Cry 3, Shatterhand
#25Draconas_LyrrPosted 2/14/2013 7:34:58 PM
Disagree. With high scores, you can lose it. Once you have a trophy, you can't lose it no matter how many people get it.
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
#26DevilTears604Posted 2/14/2013 7:37:33 PM
I'd agree and disagree. Either one is an achievement either way, just different kinds of achievement.

A question I've wondered about though, is what makes a person, as someone might call them, a "trophy whore?" I never understood the idea of playing a game you don't necessarily like just to have trophies.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Dead Space 3, GoW: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V