This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's so great about Dark Souls?

#1knightoffire55Posted 2/14/2013 3:54:36 PM
The combat feels too clunky to be a twitch action game.

Why does everybody praise it's difficulty?
---
Enough is enough I have had it with these motherf****ing vampires in this motherf****ing rain.
#2zyrax2301Posted 2/14/2013 3:59:43 PM(edited)
It's not a twitch action game [sillybuns].
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3RyuuHou25Posted 2/14/2013 3:57:21 PM
Go and try wearing actual armor and what not. Made of metal. We'll see how fast you are ;) The combat is quite decent.

Because difficulty is something fairly non existent this gen, too much catering to the casual gamers and the whiners. Demons Souls and Dark Souls will actually punish you for just running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not thinking or paying attention.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#4Killah PriestPosted 2/14/2013 3:57:48 PM
everything
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5AlltraPosted 2/14/2013 4:03:21 PM
Firstly, it's not a "Twitch Action Game". You approaching it as such is probably the reason why the combat feels clunky to you.

It's not the difficulty, but it is the difficulty, but it's more the risk reward and game play that punishes bad play while rewarding good play.

First time through is a learning experience, and the difficulty is in overcoming each new obstacle. In addition to that, there's also an element of random difficulty that springs up having to figure out obstacles while you've got a black phantom invader breathing down your neck.

..and of course you have the risk/reward elements present. You play badly, you get curbstomped, you lose souls, humanity, and have to redo the area from your last checkpoint. You play well, and you're rewarded with tons of souls, humanity, progress, you won't have to waste time, and you get a sense of satisfaction for a job well done.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#6OhGoodPosted 2/14/2013 4:05:22 PM
Pretty much anyone who calls the combat clunky hasn't spent enough time with the game. It's extremely precise combat. You can't play it like some random hack and slash fest.

People praise the game so much because of it's deep combat and character systems, fantastic atmosphere, innovative multiplayer and brutal, but still extremely fair difficulty.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood
#7Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/14/2013 4:14:12 PM
The combat may be "extremely precise" but the animation interruptions due to lag are very poor. The person with the most torrents downloading will ultimately win most rounds of PvP.

The game doesn't even need online though it's a brilliant single player game that is huge and epic and takes many hours to beat. Then once you beat the game a couple times you start falling in love with the online aspects of the game as well even with their shortcomings.
#8solideye11Posted 2/14/2013 4:18:22 PM
I've been asking myself this for the longest time. The game gets praise for it's difficulty, but the game is just annoying. The game has trollish traps that kill you, check points are few and far between, and You lose your souls when you die. So You know what all that means? replaying hours of gameplay over and over and over and over and over again until you see the next checkpoint! It's not fun. I actually tried the souls games out because of their difficulty, but sending the player back, losing all of your souls, and replaying hours of gameplay each time you die is not fun or difficult. It's just tedious as all hell.

I'm glad people like the games, but it's not my thing.
---
SOLID EYE SYSTEM-OTC-0017/02
PSN: chr11224
#9AlltraPosted 2/14/2013 4:22:00 PM
That's the point though. The game's supposed to be trolling you. Everything about the game is designed in such a way that you can troll or be trolled.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#10solideye11Posted 2/14/2013 4:57:25 PM
Alltra posted...
That's the point though. The game's supposed to be trolling you. Everything about the game is designed in such a way that you can troll or be trolled.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but do you honestly find that fun? I can't image how anyone could. This game really reminds me of those platformer online flash games that are really cheap and impossible to beat with out retrying 1,000 times.
---
SOLID EYE SYSTEM-OTC-0017/02
PSN: chr11224