This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's so great about Dark Souls?

#61LightningSkyPosted 2/14/2013 7:53:36 PM
It's not like the traps and ambushes are so well hidden. Just observe your surroundings and you will see that most of the traps are quite obvious. The game gives you enough hints to deal with any threat in your first encounter. Dying only makes it easier for you.

Example: In the Darkroot garden there is an area where there is some loot but there are three hidden tree like enemies that will ambush you there, if you walk over to the loot immediately you are surrounded and will most likely die. But if you know that they are there you will definitely survive. And you are warned that there will be enemies like that because in a path leading to that area there are hidden tree enemies that will ambush you and these come one by one, completely manageable. So the game already warned you of enemies like that and if you didn't pay attention that was your fault.
#62theofficefan99Posted 2/14/2013 8:09:31 PM
LightningSky posted...
It's not like the traps and ambushes are so well hidden. Just observe your surroundings and you will see that most of the traps are quite obvious. The game gives you enough hints to deal with any threat in your first encounter. Dying only makes it easier for you.

Example: In the Darkroot garden there is an area where there is some loot but there are three hidden tree like enemies that will ambush you there, if you walk over to the loot immediately you are surrounded and will most likely die. But if you know that they are there you will definitely survive. And you are warned that there will be enemies like that because in a path leading to that area there are hidden tree enemies that will ambush you and these come one by one, completely manageable. So the game already warned you of enemies like that and if you didn't pay attention that was your fault.

I was aware of that when I walked into the Darkroot Garden. I'm talking about other things, like the random boulders, or trying to figure out the layout of a level and then running into an overleveled enemy, or walking into an area and getting ambushed by groups of enemies at once, etc. etc.

The game is trial and error. That's what I'm saying. Yeah, you learn from your mistakes, but that's with every little thing. You die and you die and you die and you memorize and you memorize and you memorize and then you get to the bonfire. Rinse and repeat for the whole game. That's not fun to me.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#63bigjig777Posted 2/14/2013 8:19:04 PM
People who complain about Dark Souls go into the game with the wrong state of mind. They go into it with this attitude that you should be able to just run through mindlessly mashing R1 and not die. When the game kills them they don't stop and think about changing strategy to suit the situation, but rather the game is apparently "cheap" or my favorite "artificially difficult".

It's not such a difficult game, it just makes you think about what you do more so than other games. You need to consider whether equipping heavier armor for the extra defense and poise is worth the tradeoff for less mobility. You need to consider the moveset, swing speed and attack rating of each weapon and use one that works based on the situation. For example, a thrusting weapon is obviously going to work better than one with a wide arc in narrow corridors. You need to attune magic according to whatever enemies you're facing, etc. etc.

The game is one of the few that makes you think for yourself. It's not for everyone, but it's unique and we need more games like it.
---
Be water, my friend
#64LightningSkyPosted 2/14/2013 8:42:51 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
I was aware of that when I walked into the Darkroot Garden. I'm talking about other things, like the random boulders, or trying to figure out the layout of a level and then running into an overleveled enemy, or walking into an area and getting ambushed by groups of enemies at once, etc. etc.

The game is trial and error. That's what I'm saying. Yeah, you learn from your mistakes, but that's with every little thing. You die and you die and you die and you memorize and you memorize and you memorize and then you get to the bonfire. Rinse and repeat for the whole game. That's not fun to me.

The boulders are far from random; in Sen's fortress, if the sound is not enough to make you think twice on the way to the first boulder trap there is a bridge above a sleeping serpent looking left would allow you to see the boulder mechanism in place. If that's not enough there is also a good chance that a boulder would pass through the door way before making your way through it. Why is there a good chance? Because you will encounter an enemy that will stand in front of the doorway trying to attack you, chances are you won't be able to finish him immediately giving you enough time to see the boulder pass by. If you keep a decent amount of health one trap is not enough to kill you. The only time I died from a trap was opening a mimic chest which I felt uneasy about.

And I have never encountered a situation that I couldn't run away from or defeat or avoid enemies. There are no unfair ambushes if you take time to explore you will find where all the enemies hide to ambush you and you can take them out one by one.

Getting ambushed is nothing if you know how predictable the game is. More often than not the game takes advantage of your blind spots. It's easy to be surrounded if you just rush through a doorway without checking your corners.

I'm not saying the game is not trial and error, I'm saying it's not just trial and error, it's the easier this way but not as fun. It's fun when you are more aware of your surroundings and plan a methodical approach to playing the game. Not just trying out different possibilities to see different results, but trying out different possibilities while keeping your deaths at a minimum. Like someone said the game likes to troll you and it's so much fun to sabotage the troll and that's the most fun I've had playing this game.
#65CamelJames28Posted 2/14/2013 8:46:07 PM
Game isn't even that difficult. figuring out where to go on your first run is the hardest part. Not the combat/battles.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WX6rS.gif http://i.imgur.com/TUTdw.gif
#66theofficefan99Posted 2/14/2013 9:13:12 PM
LightningSky posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

The boulders are far from random; in Sen's fortress, if the sound is not enough to make you think twice on the way to the first boulder trap there is a bridge above a sleeping serpent looking left would allow you to see the boulder mechanism in place. If that's not enough there is also a good chance that a boulder would pass through the door way before making your way through it. Why is there a good chance? Because you will encounter an enemy that will stand in front of the doorway trying to attack you, chances are you won't be able to finish him immediately giving you enough time to see the boulder pass by. If you keep a decent amount of health one trap is not enough to kill you. The only time I died from a trap was opening a mimic chest which I felt uneasy about.

And I have never encountered a situation that I couldn't run away from or defeat or avoid enemies. There are no unfair ambushes if you take time to explore you will find where all the enemies hide to ambush you and you can take them out one by one.

Getting ambushed is nothing if you know how predictable the game is. More often than not the game takes advantage of your blind spots. It's easy to be surrounded if you just rush through a doorway without checking your corners.

I'm not saying the game is not trial and error, I'm saying it's not just trial and error, it's the easier this way but not as fun. It's fun when you are more aware of your surroundings and plan a methodical approach to playing the game. Not just trying out different possibilities to see different results, but trying out different possibilities while keeping your deaths at a minimum. Like someone said the game likes to troll you and it's so much fun to sabotage the troll and that's the most fun I've had playing this game.

You feel uneasy about everything in this game. That's my point, and that's why your argument doesn't really work with me. Literally everything in this game is uneasy. You don't know whether a trap is false or not, even when you're being cautious.

If you keep a decent amount? That's no excuse. What if someone doesn't have enough flasks and is low on health at that moment? They'll die.

Ah, so you admit that there's trial and error. The way you're describing it, you need to basically crawl your way through each every area, rotate the camera and look at everything in every direction, and hold your shield up at all times. How is that any fun?

You like being trolled, but I don't, especially since the game is already cheap and difficult and has sparse bonfires. It's adding more frustration to a mountain's worth. I don't find anything about it fun, and the combat and story do not redeem it. There is nothing that rewards you, and I don't like that.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#67RyuuHou25Posted 2/15/2013 1:03:55 PM
Game rewards you just fine for not being a complete idgit.

theofficefan, you are clearly Adventurer #2 here -

http://img.pr0gramm.com/2012/09/1348634189830.jpg
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#68ScreamingMidgetPosted 2/15/2013 1:10:03 PM
What's NOT great about it?
#69CuteBlueBabyBeaPosted 2/15/2013 4:16:37 PM
dark souls is one of the best games of all time.

The verticality and interconnected seamless world design is very impressive.