This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do video games have budgets?

#1XxD3ADLYXxPosted 2/14/2013 6:42:34 PM
This may sound stupid, but I mean i always wonder why does it take a average $1-4 million to make a video game, what does the money go into?
#2angry_cowtipperPosted 2/14/2013 6:49:52 PM
Paying people to do stuff.
---
Don't Starve (PC), Okami HD (PS3), Halo: Reach (360), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#3OhGoodPosted 2/14/2013 6:51:18 PM
Ever see the end credits of a video game?

How many names do you see listed? 1000? more? Those people need to be paid, and it costs money to pay for new tech.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood
#4mgs4fan540Posted 2/14/2013 6:51:58 PM
To pay people money. They aren't gonna make a game for free you know.

And well, making the game costs money too.
---
JRPG >>>>WPRG
#5kingrat2314Posted 2/14/2013 6:57:52 PM
Ya see, when devs work on their computers, the computer tallies up the collective time taken to make the game. Then when the game is completed, the CEO has to personally feed a check into the dev computer mainframe. The mainframe then passes money to each computer, the amount depending on how much time was spent on a computer. Then the computer goes on holiday, and the devs get back the computers from holiday that they used to make their last game. It's a huge cycle, where one set of computers goes on holiday, and the other set comes back from holiday.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass. I'm out of gum too. I guess I'll just sit here.
#6muffinmasherPosted 2/14/2013 7:03:00 PM
kingrat2314 posted...
Ya see, when devs work on their computers, the computer tallies up the collective time taken to make the game. Then when the game is completed, the CEO has to personally feed a check into the dev computer mainframe. The mainframe then passes money to each computer, the amount depending on how much time was spent on a computer. Then the computer goes on holiday, and the devs get back the computers from holiday that they used to make their last game. It's a huge cycle, where one set of computers goes on holiday, and the other set comes back from holiday.

This is my favorite post all week.
---
Black 2 FC: 3654 8353 8201
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#7XxD3ADLYXx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 7:26:03 PM
I know about labour cost, but what about the development cost?
#8AwayFromHerePosted 2/14/2013 7:29:23 PM

Are you 12?
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#9kingofall214Posted 2/14/2013 7:29:32 PM
XxD3ADLYXx posted...

Dev Kits. One Dev kit costs over a thousand dollars. Now you got to get one for each worker who needs it.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#10OhGoodPosted 2/14/2013 7:31:27 PM
Right now, how much money do you think it would cost to build a computer that can design games from scratch? 2-3 grand? more?

Multiply that by every designer, add in the costs for a full motion capture studio, and costs for voice actors, marketing, creative rights, music, etc.

It's really not hard at all to see why games cost so much.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood