This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the biggest HDD the PS3 supports?

#1xxnike629xxPosted 2/14/2013 7:54:13 PM
topic
---
PSN: xxnike629xx YouTube: suiton629Bloginb4suiton.blogspot.com
#2SDFan18Posted 2/14/2013 9:06:44 PM
I don't think there is a size limit. 1TB should be more than adequate though.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86
#3kreedersPosted 2/14/2013 10:07:16 PM
been wondering if a 2 tb will work
#4arstosPosted 2/14/2013 10:13:00 PM
SDFan18 posted...
I don't think there is a size limit. 1TB should be more than adequate though.

This. Just upgraded to a 1tb hdd and spent the last few days installing and updating every game I own and I'm still under 500 gigs
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII
#5xxnike629xx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 8:07:45 AM
I'm asking because I have that slim 250 GB model and space ran out so I had to delete some PStwo Classics and whatnot.

>_<

I was thinking about getting that 500 GB super slim PS3, but only when there's a price cut and the system comes with only the system and no games, PS+, etc.

Or maybe Sony will release a 750 GB model??
---
#6DoramiPosted 2/15/2013 9:35:26 AM(edited)
If you want to be really safe, assume it's 1 TB, because that's the largest reported to work.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous but still be safe, assume the limit is 2 TB, because
1. there is a variety of legacy design decisions for computer storage that gave rise to the 2 TB volume size limit (any of which independently may limit the volume size to 2 TB, though it's possible that none of the affects the PS3)
2. We know it is possible to have 500 MB and 1 TB HDDs on the PS3, and the next plausible limit above those is 2 TB.

I believe the biggest HDD that still fits into a PS3 is only 1 TB (PS3 needs 9.5mm or smaller HDDs. The 2 TB WD20NPVT is a 15mm one), so the above 1 TB limits are only theoretical at this point.
---
"I dont buy Steam games because when I buy a new PC, I have every game I ever bought already ready to download." - GoreGamer
#7xxnike629xx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 5:34:50 AM
Dorami posted...
If you want to be really safe, assume it's 1 TB, because that's the largest reported to work.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous but still be safe, assume the limit is 2 TB, because
1. there is a variety of legacy design decisions for computer storage that gave rise to the 2 TB volume size limit (any of which independently may limit the volume size to 2 TB, though it's possible that none of the affects the PS3)
2. We know it is possible to have 500 MB and 1 TB HDDs on the PS3, and the next plausible limit above those is 2 TB.

I believe the biggest HDD that still fits into a PS3 is only 1 TB (PS3 needs 9.5mm or smaller HDDs. The 2 TB WD20NPVT is a 15mm one), so the above 1 TB limits are only theoretical at this point.

I was thinking that Sony would release a standalone PS3 super slim with a 750 GB HDD.
---
#8EoinPosted 2/16/2013 5:40:32 AM
The only size limit is based on what you can buy that will physically sit inside the PS3 (you can even use a cable that goes into the PS3 and connects to an external drive, but this isn't a good idea).

xxnike629xx posted...
I'm asking because I have that slim 250 GB model and space ran out so I had to delete some PStwo Classics and whatnot.

>_<

I was thinking about getting that 500 GB super slim PS3, but only when there's a price cut and the system comes with only the system and no games, PS+, etc.

Or maybe Sony will release a 750 GB model??

Just buy a hard drive and upgrade. Don't go buying a whole new PS3, that's silly.

Dorami posted...

Yes that's correct - none of that affects the PS3.