This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the biggest HDD the PS3 supports?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. What's the biggest HDD the PS3 supports?

User Info: xxnike629xx

xxnike629xx
3 years ago#1
topic
PSN: xxnike629xx YouTube: suiton629Bloginb4suiton.blogspot.com

User Info: SDFan18

SDFan18
3 years ago#2
I don't think there is a size limit. 1TB should be more than adequate though.
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86

User Info: kreeders

kreeders
3 years ago#3
been wondering if a 2 tb will work

User Info: arstos

arstos
3 years ago#4
SDFan18 posted...
I don't think there is a size limit. 1TB should be more than adequate though.

This. Just upgraded to a 1tb hdd and spent the last few days installing and updating every game I own and I'm still under 500 gigs
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; Awesomenauts, Skullgirls, Jojo's HD, SSFIITHDR, SFIII: OE, MVC2, AH3, KoF 94/95/96/XIII, VF5:FS, P4A, GGXXAC+HD, CS:GO, UTIII

xxnike629xx
3 years ago#5
I'm asking because I have that slim 250 GB model and space ran out so I had to delete some PStwo Classics and whatnot.

>_<

I was thinking about getting that 500 GB super slim PS3, but only when there's a price cut and the system comes with only the system and no games, PS+, etc.

Or maybe Sony will release a 750 GB model??

User Info: Dorami

Dorami
3 years ago#6
If you want to be really safe, assume it's 1 TB, because that's the largest reported to work.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous but still be safe, assume the limit is 2 TB, because
1. there is a variety of legacy design decisions for computer storage that gave rise to the 2 TB volume size limit (any of which independently may limit the volume size to 2 TB, though it's possible that none of the affects the PS3)
2. We know it is possible to have 500 MB and 1 TB HDDs on the PS3, and the next plausible limit above those is 2 TB.

I believe the biggest HDD that still fits into a PS3 is only 1 TB (PS3 needs 9.5mm or smaller HDDs. The 2 TB WD20NPVT is a 15mm one), so the above 1 TB limits are only theoretical at this point.
"I dont buy Steam games because when I buy a new PC, I have every game I ever bought already ready to download." - GoreGamer

xxnike629xx
3 years ago#7
Dorami posted...
If you want to be really safe, assume it's 1 TB, because that's the largest reported to work.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous but still be safe, assume the limit is 2 TB, because
1. there is a variety of legacy design decisions for computer storage that gave rise to the 2 TB volume size limit (any of which independently may limit the volume size to 2 TB, though it's possible that none of the affects the PS3)
2. We know it is possible to have 500 MB and 1 TB HDDs on the PS3, and the next plausible limit above those is 2 TB.

I believe the biggest HDD that still fits into a PS3 is only 1 TB (PS3 needs 9.5mm or smaller HDDs. The 2 TB WD20NPVT is a 15mm one), so the above 1 TB limits are only theoretical at this point.

I was thinking that Sony would release a standalone PS3 super slim with a 750 GB HDD.

User Info: Eoin

Eoin
3 years ago#8
The only size limit is based on what you can buy that will physically sit inside the PS3 (you can even use a cable that goes into the PS3 and connects to an external drive, but this isn't a good idea).

xxnike629xx posted...
I'm asking because I have that slim 250 GB model and space ran out so I had to delete some PStwo Classics and whatnot.

>_<

I was thinking about getting that 500 GB super slim PS3, but only when there's a price cut and the system comes with only the system and no games, PS+, etc.

Or maybe Sony will release a 750 GB model??

Just buy a hard drive and upgrade. Don't go buying a whole new PS3, that's silly.

Dorami posted...

Yes that's correct - none of that affects the PS3.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. What's the biggest HDD the PS3 supports?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived