This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku: Sega, Where The Hell Is Yakuza 5?

#1nekrothingPosted 2/14/2013 9:15:56 PM
http://kotaku.com/5984109/sega-where-the-hell-is-yakuza-5

Here's Sega's reply. "We have no comment on this matter". Great.

Classic Sega?
#2Devilman_AmonPosted 2/14/2013 9:16:31 PM
Sega is in a sad state of affairs lately...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#3nekrothing(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:21:40 PM
True, although they seem to be doing pretty well after their recent restructure.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511956
#4gzus_ADPosted 2/14/2013 9:27:47 PM
People still go to Kotaku? That place is rife with grammatical errors, and they take rumors and conjecture as fact. It's gaming journalism at its most mediocre.
---
[PSN]: stray_dog_strut
End all war now.
#5ryouma17Posted 2/14/2013 9:29:08 PM
yakuza sucks, sega is busy working on the true valkyria chronicles sequel, if they dont its the final nail in the coffin
---
Ronnie O'Neal McLendon
08/09/1960 - 11/16/2011
#6Devilman_AmonPosted 2/14/2013 9:30:25 PM
No Shenmue III, no Skies of Arcadia II...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7CassyChanPosted 2/14/2013 9:30:57 PM
They wrongly marketed the first as GTA in Japan, they stealth released the second, didn't localise Kenzan!, released 3 to a huge amount of hate due to a little cut content, marketed 4 on the strength that they wouldn't make that mistake again, didn't release either of the PSP games and made a big financial mistake when they let the Yakuza studio spend a lot of time and money developing Binary Domain (which Sega decided to not market at all outside of Japan and released it next to Mass Effect 3, another TPS with dialog choices that had a huge fanbase, two well received games leading up to it as a finale and an unbelievably good and expensive marketing push behind it). Oh, and there was Dead Souls, the Yakuza spin-off they thought they would aim at the Western market that failed pretty badly (it also got next to no marketing, but not surprising as it was doomed to only gain interest from the Yakuza fanbase, most of which either didn't like the changes or would've much preferred Kenzan! or Y5).

Add to all that that Sega EU and US have been struggling (mostly because of their poor marketing and timing a lot of the time imo) and that next gen is around the corner... I don't think it's unlikely Yakuza 5 could stay exclusive to Japan. They sell amazingly well over there and Sega goes all-out with the advertising. Cutting out the localisation costs, logistics of getting it published in Europe and the US and all the misc. legal stuff (for example, many actors and hostesses' likenesses are used as well as their voices, this has caused problems for releasing in other territories before) may seem like the best option for Sega, seeing as hardly anybody buys these games new outside of Japan anyway.

tl;dr Sega have made stupid decisions with the series outside of Japan and although it's a great series (imo, I'm a big fan) I don't expect they'll bother localising Yakuza 5. I'd like to be proven wrong though.
---
Currently playing: Ni no Kuni
Games I play: http://psnprofiles.com/cassychan
#8TheCyborgNinjaPosted 2/14/2013 9:35:41 PM
I have a copy on the shelf right now. :D
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 2/14/2013 9:37:48 PM
Yakuza 5 even has Virtua Fighter 2 in the game fully playable with online....

Also you left out no Yakuza HD Collection

Oh also no more playable Ryo Hazuki or Jackie/Akira in Sonic All Stars Transformed

No Valkyria Chronicles 3...

And I would like a Shenmue HD Collection as well
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10nekrothing(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 9:55:20 PM
gzus_AD posted...
People still go to Kotaku? That place is rife with grammatical errors, and they take rumors and conjecture as fact. It's gaming journalism at its most mediocre.

Kotaku might not be the best when it comes to gaming journalism, but the article seemed pretty well written to me. Besides, they're giving the Yakuza series some much needed exposure, and when they prod Sega for answers like this, they're letting Sega know we're interested in the game.

Devilman_Amon posted...
No Shenmue III, no Skies of Arcadia II...

Unfortunately, the Yakuza games are the closest we'll ever get to Shenmue 3.

CassyChan posted...
tl;dr Sega have made stupid decisions with the series outside of Japan

Agreed, the Yakuza games don't get a whole lot of exposure outside of Japan, and what little exposure they do get doesn't accurately reflect what kind of games they really are.

For instance, I only found out about the Yakuza series when I was browsing Amazon for some new PS3 games. Yakuza 3 caught my eye, and when I read up on it, like you mentioned, they described it as the Japanese version of GTA. Couldn't have been farther from the truth. Yakuza 3 ended up exceeding my expectations, but it was nothing like GTA.