This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I like how when Ni no Kuni came out, it was being praised so much..

#1PhophenomenonPosted 2/14/2013 10:55:28 PM
and now everyone wants to point out it's flaws T_T...I bought the game because reviewers were treating it like as if it was one of the great JRPG's in a long time (completely ignoring games like ToGF and FFXIII-2 which 2 games I adore). Well they sure did praise it a lot. But the biggest flaw that I'm concerned with is the lack of voices in dialogue. I mean the story is already bad but having to read through freaking millions of lines is just a chore at this day and age. So I'm blessed to have a skip button. Just disappointed at the fact that hey maybe the gameplay won't be so bad. Yeah it's a decent battle system with annoying flaws, it just turns me off. It can be fun yet not so fast-paced and seamless as it should be. Now the cutscenes are one of the best parts of the game, too bad they only had a few in the beginning and that was it. It's reading a boring uninteresting book from there. Also the characters are a bit bland as well, Esther is a brick wall, Drippy is one heck of an annoying little creature, I mean everything could've been better. I wish the reviewers pointed out these kinds of stuff instead of just ignore it.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch!
#2UniversquallPosted 2/14/2013 10:56:53 PM
They made you read? Monsters
---
After the Fallout
#3Phophenomenon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 10:59:53 PM
Universquall posted...

I don't mind reading a few lines, but there are parts where you just end up just sitting there reading lines after lines for like 10 minutes. Plus there would be other parts where there is a small little cutscenes and then just lines of texts. It breaks up the consistency and makes the game feel very sloppy.
---
Playing: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch!
#4Wario_manPosted 2/14/2013 11:01:36 PM
A lot of the time it feels like it just should have been an animated film and the actual hand drawn animated parts don't do well at making me change my mind.
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#5SSJMarioPosted 2/14/2013 11:02:57 PM(edited)
And you'll probably be listening to them say those lines for 20 minutes. I rather read
---
PSN=bowserkick
NNID = Fighters_of_Foo
#6SayoriaPosted 2/14/2013 11:02:48 PM
My only complaint really is everything defaults back to Oliver. Pisses me off so bad. I blow through items on impulse because I am used to *Whoever you are, you are default item user*..... If I am Esther, I should be able to spam healing items on her without constantly changing it....

Or how about starting fights with Swaine so I can steal without having to use Oliver, switch to Swaine, retract the familiar, charge up a mug shot, and by that time, the mug shot gets canceled by one of Oliver's attacks OR the enemies die?

I just don't like him being default choice. My only complaint.
---
Sailor Moon returns 2013! O_o
#7Chewy247Posted 2/14/2013 11:08:25 PM
I'd rather read than listen to really dumb anime voice acting. It's the thing that turned me off of most JRPGs, I loved the reading, it gave me a sense of characters I wanted to be.

Much more immersive to me
---
#TimesUpPunk
#8TacosnakPosted 2/14/2013 11:18:05 PM
Chewy247 posted...
I'd rather read than listen to really dumb anime voice acting. It's the thing that turned me off of most JRPGs, I loved the reading, it gave me a sense of characters I wanted to be.

Much more immersive to me

Studio Ghibli does very well in the Dubbing department. I actually like the English dubbed versions of Nausicaa over the JP voices. Annnnnnd maybe Porco Rosso... but, that might be because Michael Keaton is just cool and Porco sounds like BeetleJuice at times.
---
PSN - Seraphtacosnak
#9Kai101xPosted 2/14/2013 11:26:18 PM
Phophenomenon posted...
Universquall posted...

I don't mind reading a few lines, but there are parts where you just end up just sitting there reading lines after lines for like 10 minutes. Plus there would be other parts where there is a small little cutscenes and then just lines of texts. It breaks up the consistency and makes the game feel very sloppy.

Lol have you played xenogears before? The end of disc 1. All of the events and reading leading to disc 2. Also, Disc 2. The events right before fei gets the actual xenogears gear to fight graf. So much damn reading. It's been a year since my last playthrough but i think the game even gives like one chance to save in the middle of the events.
#10dj___rollPosted 2/14/2013 11:43:59 PM
Quote:Universquall posted...

@Phophenomenon
It takes them longer to speak the words than for a person to read it. Well, unless you have issues reading anyway. And, gasp, an rpg with reading involved, what an anomaly.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10