This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I like how when Ni no Kuni came out, it was being praised so much..

#31MechaNapoleonPosted 2/15/2013 7:21:57 AM(edited)
Tacosnak posted...
Chewy247 posted...
I'd rather read than listen to really dumb anime voice acting. It's the thing that turned me off of most JRPGs, I loved the reading, it gave me a sense of characters I wanted to be.

Much more immersive to me

Studio Ghibli does very well in the Dubbing department. I actually like the English dubbed versions of Nausicaa over the JP voices. Annnnnnd maybe Porco Rosso... but, that might be because Michael Keaton is just cool and Porco sounds like BeetleJuice at times.

Isn't that because Disney handles most things english with their films....

And I still don't particularly like em. Its like the opposite of most dubs, where they're overracting hams... Ghibli's english dubs are cold and lifeless.
#32Chewy247Posted 2/15/2013 7:23:21 AM
Tacosnak posted...
Chewy247 posted...
I'd rather read than listen to really dumb anime voice acting. It's the thing that turned me off of most JRPGs, I loved the reading, it gave me a sense of characters I wanted to be.

Much more immersive to me

Studio Ghibli does very well in the Dubbing department. I actually like the English dubbed versions of Nausicaa over the JP voices. Annnnnnd maybe Porco Rosso... but, that might be because Michael Keaton is just cool and Porco sounds like BeetleJuice at times.

Ah, I have yet to play it. From what I've read though the game sounds fantastic. I just need to save up for a PS3 and hopefully get it.

I have no problem with VA, but F XIII-2 was so horrendous to hear Sarah talk the whole time and I hated her character.
---
#TimesUpPunk
#33KarsticlesPosted 2/15/2013 7:34:27 AM(edited)
The only time I have ever minded reading in an RPG was when Tifa told her flashback story in FFVII after escaping Midgar. Oh man that was a long, long story.

I would rather have RPGs with little to no voice acting at all.
---
My Ultimate Dormammu Guide: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4lhv
My UMvC3 Team Building Guide: http://tinyurl.com/8x865ra
#34Chewy247Posted 2/15/2013 7:35:57 AM
Karsticles posted...
The only time I have ever minded reading in an RPG was when Tifa told her flashback story in FFVII after escaping Midgar. Oh man that was a long, long story.

I would rather have RPGs with little to no voice acting at all.

Yeah that was stupid, they really dragged that whole thing on.
---
#TimesUpPunk
#35AlltraPosted 2/15/2013 7:40:40 AM
The problem isn't the amount of dialog, at least not for me. Rather, it's that the dialog is boring as hell. After playing games like Lunar, Grandia, Ys, and Trails in the Sky, I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to dialog in an RPG.

It doesn't help that it's one of the most handholdy RPGs I've ever played when it comes to progression and storytelling. The dialog was obviously designed for a 5 year old that would need everything explained to them repeatedly, so it feels to me like I'm being talked down to the entire game.

For the most, otherwise, I love the game just as much as I thought I would. It's still worth every bit of praise it's recieved. It's just not the best RPG ever, and it never was, nor was it ever really hyped up to be. It's just an outstanding, classically designed RPG. It's not up to par with some of the best RPGs out there, but it's still a great game.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#36OEIO999Posted 2/15/2013 7:43:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#37mduda1Posted 2/15/2013 11:47:13 AM
LightRukia posted...
This game was hyped. Reminds me of Dragon Quest with elements of Pokemon but I'm never really pulled into the game. I enjoyed Dragon Quest much more than this game.

Other than trying out new familiars because of curiosity, I'm never motivated to continue using many of them. And because the familiars share my health and magic, there's not typically a need to manage more than one familiar during a battle. They would have done better to have each familiar have it's own health/magic and challenge the players ability to manage resources, more.

I don't really even care much for the battle system. I've got my 3rd character added to the party and it becomes more of a cluster than fun. And the battles just come across as lackluster events - they lack punch (ha, ha). Sometimes the boss battles are challenging, but they never feel satisfying.

The animation is nice to look at but the story is boring, childish and thinly plotted. If I was between the ages of 8 - 12, the story might capture my interest and I'd wager that Sony is hoping to pull in gamers in that demographic. Nothing wrong with that, but all that cuteness won't hold my interest for long.

If you don't agree with me - so what? Get emotional and attack my comments. You may like this game, but there will be others who don't. I should have rented this one.

I've have to ask did you finish the game? I felt that towards the end of the some of the gripes you mentioned kinda go away. I do agree that the they needed to make familiars better, in looks and in abilities. Other than having 100% completion there's really no reason to get them all or even many. The boss battles were mostly lackluster but I felt that the final bosses were great. Even if they weren't that difficult (I was very overleveled when I faced them since it's very easy to get overleveled with those stupid tokos lol).

The story I don't find to very boring or childish. It does have childish moments but it has some mature dark moments as well, particularly I think at the end. I don't think you finding the story boring has to do with you age though. As I'm 23 and I love the story but I do think that it is a love it or hate it type of story.

I still love the game but I don't think it's as good as DQ. I think if they make a sequel it'll be a lot better though.

Good comments and an interesting reply.

I'll still disagree with you. If the player needs to play the game almost all the way through to find great moments, that's an issue with the game development and not the player. It's like having to read a boring book to the end just to enjoy it - no thanks.

The story does have it's rather charming moments, but this story is geared for younger players. I think the story and simple gameplay is perfect for a younger demographic. Great. But reviews for a general audience present this game with higher marks and so it may lead plenty of older gamers into a disappointment.
#38LightRukiaPosted 2/15/2013 4:55:53 PM
Good comments and an interesting reply.

I'll still disagree with you. If the player needs to play the game almost all the way through to find great moments, that's an issue with the game development and not the player. It's like having to read a boring book to the end just to enjoy it - no thanks.

The story does have it's rather charming moments, but this story is geared for younger players. I think the story and simple gameplay is perfect for a younger demographic. Great. But reviews for a general audience present this game with higher marks and so it may lead plenty of older gamers into a disappointment.

Well I guess we'll have agree to disagree on the story then. I find it to be just a simple family story like Disney or Pixar movies. So I think it was made for a general audience such as for all ages but not all adults will tolerate and get over the childish moments as easy as others do. The ending for me especially gave me this vibe.

I also read in the interview section of my guide that in the ps3 version the Story was expanded for older players to enjoy. The also said wanted to make a game for the young and young at heart. So I think that pretty much confirms story was actually geared so that everyone of all ages could enjoy it (but that doesn't mean that every adult will). The developers did say though that if they made sequel they would like to have a older protagonist. So I think that could present less childish moments.
---
http://i.imgur.com/3pdnu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mH6dQ.gif
#39RomangeloPosted 2/16/2013 10:51:44 AM
FF haters always praise every jRPG nowadays. when a new RPG game comes out they'll use it as a weapon to bash Final Fantasy.

so don't trust their hyping or you'll end up with an overhyped mediocre game like this one.

I've heard all of these bullcrap for years, like "Kingdom of Amalur is going to kill XIII-2 when it release!!" said the haters. they're so immature and they don't know how to enjoy their games. they need to create their dreamworld, lie to each others about how good the new RPG is, and bash FF twelve hours a day.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#40Jon_GodPosted 2/16/2013 12:37:16 PM
Just popped in to say, I still love this game.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/